Mwo Is Still In Alpha According To Industry Leader.

41 replies to this topic

#1 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

According to Chris Roberts last 10 for the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries site he stated what his idea of Alpha and Beta are and that says MWO is infact still in Alpha!

He stated that his idea of Alpha was that the project is not content complete but functionality complete and that beta is content complete and functionality complete and just trying to fix bugs. So I would have to agree with CR that MWO is still in Alpha after 3 years of development and stagnation. "you're honing and tweaking and adding stuff in alpha but you got pretty much all your features in" so that sounds like MWO. He continued with the description of beta as "Content and Functionality complete and you're just debugging" which sounds nothing like MWO.

Further more it's really sad that CR and RSI will likely get the Persistent Universe out in less time then PGI has CW....oh wait CW is still not out!

Edited by Werewolf486, 29 July 2014 - 11:00 AM.

#2 THE ERASER

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

I Like your Math there compare a 40 - 60 people company to a 250 - 350 company..... and yeah I bet with you that you won't get SC on the shelf before beginning of 2016....

#3 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

The industry leader of over-hyping, social media spamming and taking-money-before-game-happening? Yeah, I agree with that completely.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

so League of Legends must still be alpha too, since they are still adding characters, maps, modes, items, they must not be feature-complete yet.

#5 Shlkt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

A typical software development cycle doesn't apply to a F2P game like MWO because the game will never be complete; certainly not content-wise and probably not feature-wise. The whole business model relies on customers paying for new content and/or features. The game will stay in development until the publisher decides that it's no longer an economically viable project; at that point development will halt but I imagine the servers will keep running a while longer until the player base shrinks to unsustainable levels.

#6 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

Didn't Star Citizen begin development in 2011 as well?

How would you compare the state of Star Citizen with MWO, which both began at the same time using the same engine?

#7 Goosfraba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

Leader of what exactly?

#8 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

View PostGoosfraba, on 29 July 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

Leader of what exactly?

Leader of $tar $itizen, the premier fund-raising experiment of the 21st century!

Will people spend $15,000 on virtual goods just on faith alone? CHRIS ROBERTS KNOWS!

#9 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

View PostTHE ERASER, on 29 July 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

I Like your Math there compare a 40 - 60 people company to a 250 - 350 company..... and yeah I bet with you that you won't get SC on the shelf before beginning of 2016....

That still does not mean that the status of MW:O isn't Alpha.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 29 July 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#10 Maggiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

Please rephrase your thread titles, did Mr Roberts actually referr to mwo? (if so, can we have a link plleaase =) )
Anyhow, Alpha and Beta are defined terms, that have been in use for a long time in the software development. Mr. Roberts just compressed it into a few words (Which i like).
And those terms do apply to ALL software as they describe in what state the software is at that moment. Future development does not matter, as it may or may not happen. (Even non f2p projects loose and gain features during development all the time).

As for Mwo: Jeah you can believe this is a finished game and cw and whatever is an expansion to that. My newest software project is finished to! Half the important features by which it is defined are missing, but i promise i add them in the future. Which means it is like its finished right? Right?
its like saying (jeahjeah lame car analogy) a car is finished without headlights. just dont drive in the night!
For me, MWO is an early access game in the alpha state. Which is actually better that what pgi tells me...

#11 CompproB237

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostHeffay, on 29 July 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

Leader of $tar $itizen, the premier fund-raising experiment of the 21st century!

Will people spend $15,000 on virtual goods just on faith alone? CHRIS ROBERTS KNOWS!

Coming from a guy with a Gold Badge and a Gold Mech.

#12 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

View PostCompproB237, on 29 July 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

Coming from a guy with a Gold Badge and a Gold Mech.

Where do you think Chris Roberts learned how to charge for his goods?

#13 CompproB237

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

View PostHeffay, on 29 July 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

Where do you think Chris Roberts learned how to charge for his goods?

I'd assume industry research and experience. PGI, one could assume, got most of theirs from roughly the same source. Although, they're backed by a publisher who has advisers and marketing researchers guiding their decisions.

I really can't take you seriously. With your badges it's very difficult. I honestly think you're suffering from Buyer's Stockholm Syndrome.

#14 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostCompproB237, on 29 July 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

I'd assume industry research and experience. PGI, one could assume, got most of theirs from roughly the same source. Although, they're backed by a publisher who has advisers and marketing researchers guiding their decisions.

I really can't take you seriously. With your badges it's very difficult. I honestly think you're suffering from Buyer's Stockholm Syndrome.

Well, looks like you learned a fancy new term from Roadbeer, Mr Punkass (your name on the RSI forums, lest anyone think I'm insulting you.)! Would it help you take me more seriously if I showed my fancy Rear Admiral badge in $tar $itizen?

#15 CompproB237

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

View PostHeffay, on 29 July 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

Well, looks like you learned a fancy new term from Roadbeer, Mr Punkass (your name on the RSI forums, lest anyone think I'm insulting you.)! Would it help you take me more seriously if I showed my fancy Rear Admiral badge in $tar $itizen?

I am not Punkass.

#16 Punkass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

View PostCompproB237, on 29 July 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

I am not Punkass.

Nope. I Am.

View PostHeffay, on 29 July 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

And I wouldn't say you're suffering from Buyer's Stockholm Syndrome so much as you're displaying an extreme case of cognitive dissonance.

#17 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

View PostPunkass, on 29 July 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

And I wouldn't say you're suffering from Buyer's Stockholm Syndrome so much as you're displaying an extreme case of cognitive dissonance.

Is that a fancy way of saying "having fun playing MWO"? ;) Because if so, there sure are a lot of us out there cognitating our disonananaces.

#18 CompproB237

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

View PostHeffay, on 29 July 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

Is that a fancy way of saying "having fun playing MWO"? ;) Because if so, there sure are a lot of us out there cognitating our disonananaces.

Actually, I think you're proving his point.

#19 Punkass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

View PostHeffay, on 29 July 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

Is that a fancy way of saying "having fun playing MWO"?

As a matter of fact....... ;)

#20 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

View PostWerewolf486, on 29 July 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

According to Chris Roberts last 10 for the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries site he stated what his idea of Alpha and Beta are and that says MWO is infact still in Alpha!

He stated that his idea of Alpha was that the project is not content complete but functionality complete and that beta is content complete and functionality complete and just trying to fix bugs. So I would have to agree with CR that MWO is still in Alpha after 3 years of development and stagnation. "you're honing and tweaking and adding stuff in alpha but you got pretty much all your features in" so that sounds like MWO. He continued with the description of beta as "Content and Functionality complete and you're just debugging" which sounds nothing like MWO.

Based on that definition Windows 8 is still in alpha. (Microsoft have stated future updates will add new content, including a full start menu and making the Shut down option relatively easy to find) Windows 7 and Vista are still in beta (still receiving bug fixes and security updates), the most recent complete version of Windows is the 12+year old XP, which recently stopped receiving updates

equally according to that definition any program which releases updates or DLC is still in Alpha.

those definitions are outdated, and have been since the first expansion pack or software update was released

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users