16 replies to this topic

#1 SirLANsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:04 AM

Using a MK7 TC and the new range module, the Clan ER Large Laser gets 982m optimal range, that is only 18m short of 1k (it might as well be since the damage drop isn't that significant that close to the opti).

So you have now Large Lasers that have a maximum range of 1970m, clans can now touch you in very special places at 2km. Wont be for much damage, but they CAN hit you at that range.

Posted Image

It was for science!

#2 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:07 AM

See, the thing is with Clanners, is they'd rather kill you before you can see them, rather than fighting you in a fair fight... :)

Doesn't the MK7 weigh the same as a small engine though? :lol:

#3 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:07 AM

That is alot of space for 92 more meters though....would trade in alot of DHS and other weapons no doubt....range means less in this game, since most maps are mid range of 700m or less and end up brawls.....only Alpine would it be moderately useful...or mabe forest colony...

I have a TC4 on one of my Warhawks, gives the 4LL 937m and still have decent heat...rating of like 1.38 or so.

#4 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:15 AM

eh, it was an experiment to see the extreme example of what someone COULD pull in range on some ERLL (the experiment was done on a Warhawk). Many of the larger mechs for clans have space for the MK7 TC, the Summoner in particular has more crit space then it usually knows what to do with. SMN-PRIME Crit space is not an issue for this mech, and as such, welcomes the massive size of the MK7.

#5 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:23 AM

View PostSirLANsalot, on 31 July 2014 - 12:15 AM, said:

it was an experiment .

View PostSirLANsalot, on 31 July 2014 - 12:04 AM, said:

for science!

I'll repeat the experiment to confirm your findings.

(890 * 0.075) + 890 + 24.8 = 981.55

CONFIRMED

#6 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:10 AM

eh, it was an experiment to see the extreme example of what someone COULD pull in range on some ERLL (the experiment was done on a Warhawk). Many of the larger mechs for clans have space for the MK7 TC, the Summoner in particular has more crit space then it usually knows what to do with. SMN-PRIME Crit space is not an issue for this mech, and as such, welcomes the massive size of the MK7.

I would think the MK7 TC and other highend targeting computers would favor mechs that have more tonnage than crit space considering heat sinks for the same weight take up twice as many criticals..

#7 Euphor Kell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOz (Australia)

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:34 AM

why not just use it on a standard SMN-D and get the omni bonus too?

oh, and yes, as soon as i save up the 3m, i'm getting that range module for my 8 ERLLAS whale with TC MkVII

#8 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

View PostDracol, on 31 July 2014 - 02:10 AM, said:

I would think the MK7 TC and other highend targeting computers would favor mechs that have more tonnage than crit space considering heat sinks for the same weight take up twice as many criticals..

For clans, Crit Space is more of an issue then actual Tonnage for the larger mechs (mostly).

For IS, Tonnage is the issue more often then not.
Clans, on many of the mechs have locked extra Heat Sinks that cannot be removed. Usually that is a good thing considering it gives you a better base cooling. However it creates the issue of when your putting on weapons/ammo, you will run out of crit space usually before you run out of tonnage. For the DW Crit space becomes an issue very fast, even with the 3 external DHS it has locked. You have so much tonnage, that you can put in quite a few bug guns, or even lots of smaller ones, but ammo locations become problematic very quickly when trying to put ammo in "safe" locations.

That is the "problem" that Heavy and Assault mechs of the Clans present to players in MechLab. There are some that do not conform to that "issue", like the Summoner, which is more like a traditional IS mech, then an actual Clan mech. Its a mech that takes a few guns, but shoots them lots and lots. Its a mech that does more with less, there are quite a few IS mechs that work with that mentality, and do extremely well.

#9 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

Prime doesn't have the weight to take advanage, Warhawk on the other hand, does.

#10 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

The Timberwolf does quite well with 4 CERLL and a MK7TC.

You can keep the prime stock and pack on DHS as well, or you can toss the S variant side torsos on and use up to 4 JJ as well.

Simple and effective, generally nets 500+ damage if you stay around 600 meters and just keep pecking away at people in the distance.

#11 Lefty Lucy

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

Yep. This is the reason why I feel totally inadequate dropping in IS mechs much any more. There are too many maps where you can have a tiny speck in the distance remove a sizeable chunk of armor and you have no recourse to return fire.

#12 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

View PostPrezimonto, on 31 July 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

The Timberwolf does quite well with 4 CERLL and a MK7TC.

You can keep the prime stock and pack on DHS as well, or you can toss the S variant side torsos on and use up to 4 JJ as well.

Simple and effective, generally nets 500+ damage if you stay around 600 meters and just keep pecking away at people in the distance.

Waste of a TW really if you taking just 4 of the same gun on a mech that is made to take far more then that. Its like taking an Atlas and just putting on an AC20 and nothing else....its a waste of a mech, as you are not doing the maximum damage potential that mech could be doing. As such the TW doesn't do the LL sniper build as good as the Summoner can, and since there is a severe need of good summoner builds, the LL sniper is one that best suites that mech. Since the Summoner is a mech with quite a low damage potential, builds that revolve around 1 or 2 weapons are best for it. SMN-D

#13 Lefty Lucy

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

View PostSirLANsalot, on 31 July 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

Waste of a TW really if you taking just 4 of the same gun on a mech that is made to take far more then that. Its like taking an Atlas and just putting on an AC20 and nothing else....its a waste of a mech, as you are not doing the maximum damage potential that mech could be doing. As such the TW doesn't do the LL sniper build as good as the Summoner can, and since there is a severe need of good summoner builds, the LL sniper is one that best suites that mech. Since the Summoner is a mech with quite a low damage potential, builds that revolve around 1 or 2 weapons are best for it. SMN-D

That's total nonsense. If taking multiples of the same gun wasn't using firepower effectively double gauss or double AC20 would be crappy.

#14 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 31 July 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

That's total nonsense. If taking multiples of the same gun wasn't using firepower effectively double gauss or double AC20 would be crappy.

Yeah, people worry too much about damage potential. It doesn't take much damage to kill a mech if you can aim. The meta is accurate placement of less than optimal firepower vs. raw firepower, so... duh.

#15 Bluetavius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 103 posts
  • LocationBlue little house

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

welp

Edited by Bluetavius, 31 July 2014 - 03:15 PM.

#16 Past

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

I find this amusing seeing as list night i discovered there isn't even an Inner Sphere ER Large Laser module yet clans get both the module and targeting computer on top of the existing huge range of their ER Large Laser.

#17 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

View PostPast, on 31 July 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

I find this amusing seeing as list night i discovered there isn't even an Inner Sphere ER Large Laser module yet clans get both the module and targeting computer on top of the existing huge range of their ER Large Laser.

could be wrong, but I think the large laser mod also affects ER Large laser.

I think the whole thing is dumb and should be by groups of weapons, like all standard lasers in one mod, pulse lasers another, PPC, AC, UAC, LBX, SRM, SSRM, LRM each all their own shared group mod. Its just dumb to flood with so many mods for each individual weapon. Think about when we get a couple other mods for improving damage, or heat efficiency, it would be ridiculous to have 4 times as many weapons mods in a list just because it has to be 1 for every weapon instead of group of weapons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users