Kitfox And Ams - I Just Can't Seem To Make It Work For Me...

38 replies to this topic

#1 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

I am a huge fan of AMS with all the LRMs flying around.. I run duels on the Jester, and a lot of my other mechs I bring at least a ton or two of ammo for it.

I just can't seem to make the 3 AMS plus ammo work for me in the kitfox...
For me it limits the kitfox so much having to give up that much weight when I feel it's better used on MGs/Ammo or bigger energy weapons...

Keep in mind I only drop solo... and I could see giving up the weight in a group where I was the ecm/ams guy and play a pure support role, but in solo drops I need my weapons.

So for now I have pretty much given up on it and just bring ECM....

So how do you guys make it work...

#2 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

The thing with triple AMS on the Kit Fox is that you have to dedicate 15% of your 'Mechs tonnage just into AMS + 3 tons of ammo. Include stock armor and ECM and you're left with only 10.5 tons for any weapons, ammo and equipment you might want to invest into.

Personally, I went for the Prime LA and S STs + Legs and equipped 3 CSPLs + 2 CMGs and 6 JJs. It's essentially a short range skirmisher that sticks to the teammates to provide ECM and AMS support and uses it's high agility to strike at exposed components to quickly cripple enemy targets.

EDIT:
whoops, forgot the smurfy link
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0d39ff4a19b84e4

Edited by SethAbercromby, 31 July 2014 - 04:05 PM.

#3 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

Keep in mind just because you CAN bring three AMS, dosnt mean you have to: ECM affords alot of protection from missiles, one or two ams after that can soften up any LRMS that get through on account of TAG.

#4 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

I run this in my prime kitfox http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d6334fcc8700fd3

Also always hug your fatties

#5 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

Bring ECM, forget AMS.

I have yet to use AMS on any of my mechs. If i stand out in the rain, i should get wet.

#6 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 31 July 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

The thing with triple AMS on the Kit Fox is that you have to dedicate 15% of your 'Mechs tonnage just into AMS + 3 tons of ammo. Include stock armor and ECM and you're left with only 10.5 tons for any weapons, ammo and equipment you might want to invest into.

Personally, I went for the Prime LA and S STs + Legs and equipped 3 CSPLs + 2 CMGs and 6 JJs. It's essentially a short range skirmisher that sticks to the teammates to provide ECM and AMS support and uses it's high agility to strike at exposed components to quickly cripple enemy targets.

EDIT:
whoops, forgot the smurfy link
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0d39ff4a19b84e4

...dear god why are you running two additional heat sinks before maxing your armor? All you have are 3 spls! 60 points of armor is A LOT.

#7 Destructicus

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

My ECM does most of the work but when I'm jamming the AMS really helps
I also bring only one ton of ams ammo and and only one ton of MG ammo and very rarely run out of ammo with either.
I could easily swap out my Targeting computer for extra ammo but as I rely mainly on my 3 mlas for damage I choose not to.

#8 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

I play mostly in PUG and have my KFX-D as a dedicated KFX-D Umbrella.

I find having 2 ton of AMS ammo is sufficient for most game, unless in a LRMrich match against 3~4 boat + spotter. The ECM is the last line of defense once the ammo runs out.

Hang with the biggest concentration of friendly heavy or assault you can find and shield them from the rain.

A single cerPPC let me take pot shot at distracted enemy or enemy DDC that tries to close in on my flock. I sometime swap it for an erLL.
The dual SRM4 for discouraging enemy light, a couple shot to the leg is generaly to send them the message, more fire power from your flock will further hammer in the message. When your flock does engage the enemy blob, the SRMs will provide extra burst damage.

Think of this mech as a sheep dog, you never wander off from your flock where your ECM/AMS cannot cover them. You only engage enemy that attack the flock and never give chase if they are retreating.
However, do expect most match to end with less than 200 damage in this build.

#9 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:39 AM

Ignore the AMS on the Kit Fox. It's absolutely not worth it unless you are running in a dedicated group that, for some reason, needs AMS coverage.

In my experience, the semi-mandatory ECM provides more than enough cover from missiles to render the AMS useless.

It's best played as a long-range harassment mech. Shield your team with ECM while causing general annoyance. So far the best build I've used is 1x CERPPC, 1x CERLL, ECM and 2x JJ's.

#10 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

View PostLunatech, on 02 August 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

Ignore the AMS on the Kit Fox. It's absolutely not worth it unless you are running in a dedicated group that, for some reason, needs AMS coverage.

In my experience, the semi-mandatory ECM provides more than enough cover from missiles to render the AMS useless.

It's best played as a long-range harassment mech. Shield your team with ECM while causing general annoyance. So far the best build I've used is 1x CERPPC, 1x CERLL, ECM and 2x JJ's.

that is sorta what I have been doing... focus on the ECM shield, with pot shots from my weapons

I just keep reading about people taking the 3x AMS and so I figured I would ask and see... I think its just too much weight to give up for a PUG that may or may not even need it...

The other thing that makes it hard for me to justify it, is almost every mech can bring AMS to the field... yet I see very few that do, so I really find it hard to bring 3 myself in a light... Like I say I bring 2 in my Jester and don't think twice about it, but I have more weight to work with there...

Now if you got cbills and xp for that AMS coverage to other players, maybe I would reconsider lol...

Edited by Jeb, 02 August 2014 - 09:24 PM.

#11 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 01 August 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

...dear god why are you running two additional heat sinks before maxing your armor? All you have are 3 spls! 60 points of armor is A LOT.

I didn't even notice doing that. Fair enough, I shouldn't expect to run THAT hot. I also decided to go for the targeting computer rather than clan active probe. Smurfy link coming soon.

#12 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:33 PM

a general rule of thumb was one ton of ammo per AMS system for IS mechs but dont forget clan ams ammo is 2k/ton. 6k rounds of ammo + ecm is way overkill. you could easily drop it to 1.5t OR dual ams with 1t ammo. the ECM is typically enough anyway and you will often never have missles fired your way.

#13 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

Remember, you have double the ammo for AMS for clans, so try using just 2 tons of ammo for AMS to get that extra ton.

#14 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

kit fox is support for your team, not only for you and your playstyle.

I run mine with 2 tons of ammo, 3 ams, ecm and a PPC and a TAG

Edited by Lily from animove, 03 August 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#15 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

View PostFuggles, on 03 August 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

a general rule of thumb was one ton of ammo per AMS system for IS mechs but dont forget clan ams ammo is 2k/ton. 6k rounds of ammo + ecm is way overkill. you could easily drop it to 1.5t OR dual ams with 1t ammo. the ECM is typically enough anyway and you will often never have missles fired your way.

Didn't know that one. That reduces the overall tonnage required considerably, 5% of your total weight to be precise.

EDIT: Now that I got home, I dropped half the AMS Ammo and used the 1.5 tons to max the armor.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f683d234de06a50

Edited by SethAbercromby, 04 August 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#16 Mordecai McTiernan

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:10 AM

Personally if I would like to have 3 AMS I would go for something like THIS.

#17 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

I don't bother with AMS, because:

1) Kit Fox is tight on tonnage to begin with.
2) You can't toggle AMS, so when you actually need it (like being TAGd or NARCd) you might have run out of ammo already.

It's not worth the tonnage to me right now.

ECM, Radar dep, cover - hope your allies aren't dummies.

#18 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:40 AM

i've read in a few places, targeting computers do. not. work.
dont waste the tonnage/expense on them

#19 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:42 AM

I'm getting increased zoom and range for the weapons on my kitfox. The increased targeting time is hard to track but I think it's there and crit chances are untracable. So mind telling what isn't working?

#20 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:44 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...ommand-console/
and various threads I've read where complaints indicate they are not working?

IF they are working, I look forward to using them. Post a link or something that indicates they've been fixed, TIA

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users