- - - - -

Dr Greyboots' Mechlab: Don't Chase The Rabbits!

Guide

3 replies to this topic

#1 Greyboots

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 396 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

Hi again! Been a while since I made one of these Mechlab posts but there's something that's happening all to often: A bazillion guys chasing one light.

Here's why you shouldn't do it:

Note: This video is unlisted! This is primarily because my channel is full of RC plane videos and this keeps the gaming videos out of RC subscribers notifications. Please feel free to share if you know someone it might help.

This is why a good 75% of roflstomps happen and it's got not much to do with the matchmaker.

MWO isn't just about shooting straight and getting kills, it's also about making good tactical decisions. When you let the opposing team trick you into making a bad decision the video above shows the typical result. Your team gets stomped. Perhaps not this badly but a loss is almost always sure to follow.

MWO has hero mechs but hero players lose more games than anything else. It's a team game and playing as a team is vital for victory unless the other team is making just as many bad decisions as your team is.

I mean what I say in the video; probably 75% of the time roflstomps have nothing to do with the matchmaker. The teams may be evenly paired and all making poor choices but which team makes fewer poor choices is the one that usually wins. In the video I simply forced the enemy team to make a huge poor choice first just to deny any new players on my team the opportunity to do the same.

Don't be "that guy". Don't chase the rabbits. watch your minimap, lock your targets (R key by default) and watch chat (ignore the trolling by all means) for guidance.

Don't let yourself be fooled by simple tactics that take advantage of the fact that you're a newbie. Being a good team member is just as important as the firepower you bring to the battlefield.

Regards,

Greyboots.

Edited by Greyboots, 31 July 2014 - 10:22 PM.

#2 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:15 PM

Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam spend their time chasing the rabbit.
It never works for them.

It won't work for you.

#3 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:51 AM

This video really highlights the advantages of sticking together. As an example, I have seen lots of water rushes from both perspectives on forest colony. Victim team gets spread out between a combination of tunnel, middle of map, back near spawn (lrms and snipers) and water. 12 vs 4, then 12 vs next 3, then 12 vs 2 more, then 12 hunting down the last guy.

I can take one for the team in my atlas just like you did in firestarter, I just walk in and start tanking, and provided my team is not cowering somewhere, they realize they have a chance to get kills while enemies are distracted and pile in. I rarely do it though, because I get 40k cbills for a win, unless I'm really lucky. Did you even recover the cost of your strikes?

#4 Greyboots

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

View PostJohn1352, on 01 August 2014 - 03:51 AM, said:

This video really highlights the advantages of sticking together. As an example, I have seen lots of water rushes from both perspectives on forest colony. Victim team gets spread out between a combination of tunnel, middle of map, back near spawn (lrms and snipers) and water. 12 vs 4, then 12 vs next 3, then 12 vs 2 more, then 12 hunting down the last guy.

I can take one for the team in my atlas just like you did in firestarter, I just walk in and start tanking, and provided my team is not cowering somewhere, they realize they have a chance to get kills while enemies are distracted and pile in. I rarely do it though, because I get 40k cbills for a win, unless I'm really lucky. Did you even recover the cost of your strikes?

Yeah, the Ember is a hero mech. For what little I did I earned almost 94k. If you're going to do it you want to hit a lot of mechs on the way through to clock up kill assists, i got 5 assists for 32,500, 25K for winning, 12.5K in salvage and some change from damage (72,230 earnings + 21,699 hero bonus).

You don't strictly NEED arty strikes to do it but pink smoke is really cheesing people off at the moment. It's a sure-fire way to hook a couple of extras.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users