Suggestion: Minor Tweak To The Current Modules Rework

Feedback

2 replies to this topic

#1 DemonRaziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 646 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

I understand there is no point arguing with the devs about the new module system to the point of asking a roll back, but let me suggest some minor tweaks, that may (or may not, depending on preferences) improve the customization and build variation.

It's by no means as thorough and versatile, as splitting the 'Mech modules into various categories. And while I agree that the further splitting would lead to a lot more variation (and might give more incentive to play different variants of a chassis), it is a much bigger rework, requiring a lot more resources and though put into it.

My suggestion to tweak the current system:

'Mech modules: 2 basic, with the option to up or lower it for individual variants (e.g. JR7-F vs JR7-K in the old system), similar to what we had before.
While this will not do much to improve the variety of 'Mech modules used, it will also not limit you as much as the current system does, thus increasing the chance of some oddball modules being used.

Consumables module: 1 basic, no exceptions.
Let's face it, the current system is an invitation for a strike spam. And even with the proposed limits of 1 strike per 'Mech (i.e. you can't equip both artillery and air strike), the norm will indeed be 1 arty per 'Mech, I can't imagine many pilots going for the UAV+coolant combo. While arty would still be the go-to consumable for many pilots, even after this change, there are some builds/roles/play styles that would prefer the UAV, or the heat management bonus the other consumables provide.

Weapon modules: As many as the 'Mech has different kind of hardpoints (including 1 for AMS). These really don't matter too much currently, but let's believe that there will indeed be more, and actually useful weapon modules in the future...
A Locust-1E and -3M would have a 2 weapon modules, as it only has energy hardpoints and AMS, all other variants would have 3, for they sport both energy and either ballistic or missile hardpoints and an AMS. Obviously, you could utilize 2-3 different missile, or energy, or ballistic modules, if you so desire.

'Mastery module: Omni module, usable as either 'Mech, Consumable or Weapon module.
This is where the specialization comes to life a bit more. You want both artillery and air strike? Or pack a coolant flush and Arty? Or both the big and small coolant? So be it, but you're stuck to 2 'Mech modules and X Weapon modules. If you're willing to make this sacrifice, so be it.
Or you could go for a specialized module that suits your role, but then you're stuck with a single consumable. Or you could buff your weapons(s) of choice some more with the weapon modules, but... you get the point.

The choices and sacrifices are there again, albeit for a single module slot. The role warfare isn't entirely dead. The consumable spam is somewhat mitigated. Noone loses anything (once they master their 'Mechs) compared to the current status, so there will be a lot less disappointed players voicing their concerns on these forums.

And a bonus suggestion: Check the freaking Jenner-K and let us know, if you nerfed it so badly on purpose, or if it was just an oversight and a fix will come with the next patch.

Thank you.

If you happen to disagree with the above suggestions, feel free to comment and provide your insight. Please keep the discussion civil and on track.

#2 Molossian Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

I still think that weapon modules
a ) don´t enhance a single player´s gaming exprience
b ) further disadvantage new players, who are already in a bad spot
c ) tamper with the raw numbers of a system, that hasn´t yet been properly balanced.
I´d rather take them out of the game completely.

But other than that and considering PGI won´t ever roll back a introduced feature regardless of how bad it is (just see UI2.0) the tweaks you propose actually make sense.

At least the module slot you get for mastering the mech forces you to make hard choices. If you really, really want artillery as well as air strike you have to make a sacrifize.

Still, I would make zero consumables available to Clan Mechs, with only one possible slot being the mastery slot.
The Clans have no business using artillery and if people keep stating that insane heat is a balancing factor when it comes to the advantages of clan weapons, then having loads of cool shots available kind of contradicts the whole idea.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 02 August 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#3 cyberstrabadi

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

I just want my old modules back.
You know the ones that actually made sence!!!
I seriusly do not know why PGI is trying to F**K this game up!!! :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users