Weapon Systems You're Looking Forward To?

78 replies to this topic

#61 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

View PostKhanCipher, on 22 August 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

- SSRM4s/6s (seriously, how can IS engineers be this bad when taking this damn long to get SSRM4s and 6s ready)

Reintroduction date for the SSRM2 is 3035, initial production of Inner Sphere SSRM4 and 6 packs is 3058. 23 years.

The Star League introduced the SSRM2 in 2647, with prototypes of 4 and 6 packs appearing only during the clan's reconquest of the Pentagon worlds in 2822 (prototype introduction dates are listed as 2810). 153 years.

Granted, the Post-Invasion Inner Sphere Streaks are partially reverse engineered from clan models.

Anyway, the Inner Sphere engineers got their 4 and 6 pack Streaks onto the field more than 6 times faster than the folks that had never lost them.

#62 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:40 AM

I haven't trawled through endless weapons listing to see the exact date, however.

I think unless PGI totally ignore the canon introduced date it totally unrealistic to 'look forward' to any weapons system that is introduced after 3055.

As I think this game will be dead a buried before then, as PGI are incapable of making it work reliably, and it couldn't be released as open source like Everquest was as micro soft own the licience and they had years to do this and haven't.

PGI's only saving grace is the fact they have released mwo in this format..shame they are so weak at producing the goods, its a crying shame its so unstable.

#63 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

MML, ATM - For those dedicated Missile boats that want to be able to defend themselves at the expense of not being very inefficient compared to if you just had the SRM/LRM launchers themselves. Good for mechs with low missile hardpoints and people who want to be ready for anything.
Heavy PPC
Light PPC - I love PPCs, but this allows for more PPCs on lighter mechs.
PPC capacitor
MRM - MORE MISSILES! Also it would be very hard to use effectively because chances are they will be slow making it hard to lead them.
Thunderbolt - Long Range Missile that will always have it's damage done to the same place, but is more likely to get shot down by AMS.

Heavy Lasers - Very hot, and messes with your sensors. Will probably look awesome too.
Streak LRMs - An excuse to use LRMs for direct combat because they can't indirect fire? Sounds nice because I love using missiles. They are as heavy as the Inner Sphere LRMs though, so it depends on how they function. Perhaps faster missiles that home in better than normal LRMs but TAG + Narc + Artemis doesn't help it at all? *shrug* :D

I'm curious about the HAG. I generally like ballistics to be rather big. I'm curious how it'd be balanced though. HAG 40 does some scary damage, but it only has 3 shots for each 1 ton of ammo. Makes me worried that if it came into the game that HAG 40 might encourage some players to do the "suicide bomber" type of tactics due to lack of ammo.

Arrow IV would be nice but I've heard that they tested it long time ago and it didn't work.

On the inner sphere side I'd probably use MRMs, Light PPCs the most. Maybe MML depending on how inefficient they are.
I have a feeling I'll use Heavy Lasers on my Mad Dog if we get Heavy Lasers, but I wouldn't run Heavy lasers on everything, it's too hot.
Excluding the HAG I have an easy time imagining all of these coming into the game and being balanced. I hope we get to see them at some point.

#64 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:58 AM

I really like the potential that the bombast laser has it can be an amazingly dynamic weapon with the right design.

How about how long you charge it increases beam range, shortens duration and increases damage scaling higher heat as it goes. Quick charges leaving it around a quick medium laser with the full beam charge hitting er range and damage.

#65 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:12 AM

View PostRogen, on 07 August 2014 - 01:24 AM, said:

What i would lite to see most are quad mechs, i kind a loved these on tabletop.
I would love to see melee weapons - swords and axes.
And axes would fit into timeline, being deployed before the invasion.

And of course faction weapons would be great to encourage faction play.
Heawy gauss for Lyrans
MRM for DC
Light Gauss for FWL
Heavy lasers for crusaders and ATM for wardens.

There is so much great equipment that would be awesome, and i hope that we will get at least some in time.

How would you make the torso twist system work on a quad mech though? Everyone has a turret on their back that only twists so much? Going to need a lot of thinking on how to get that working. It's interesting though thanks for the idea.

#66 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

I asked about Quad 'mechs during an Ask The Devs- the response was 'No, we're probably not putting them in.'

This is understandable, as the capacity to lateral shift and lack of a waist both mean a completely different control schema for piloting, which PGI may not have time to work on with everything else they're already doing, nevermind with everything else everyone wants them to do.

As far as melee goes, I'll reiterate what I've pointed out before-

Someone asked about that before as well, and the PGI response was 'That's going to go in as part of a set package of intended features.' Said package included destructible terrain- and was not slated as a thing happening soon, Soon™, or in any other way at a foreseeable time. More as a 'eventually we'd like to do this' kind of feature set.

#67 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:33 AM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 24 August 2014 - 10:54 PM, said:

As far as melee goes, I'll reiterate what I've pointed out before-

Someone asked about that before as well, and the PGI response was 'That's going to go in as part of a set package of intended features.' Said package included destructible terrain- and was not slated as a thing happening soon, Soon™, or in any other way at a foreseeable time. More as a 'eventually we'd like to do this' kind of feature set.

Yep, that package feature is not even on the Plan page. I think it was ask the devs 26 or something.

I want them to add knockdown back into the game, but in a way that is not "a griefer's wet dream" as someone so eloquently put it.

#68 I am myLoves_Discarded

• PipPip
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAn Undiscovered SLDF Battlemech Research Station Amongst the Stars of the Hansa

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:22 AM

View PostKeeshu, on 23 August 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

MML, ATM - For those dedicated Missile boats that want to be able to defend themselves at the expense of not being very inefficient compared to if you just had the SRM/LRM launchers themselves. Good for mechs with low missile hardpoints and people who want to be ready for anything.
Heavy PPC
Light PPC - I love PPCs, but this allows for more PPCs on lighter mechs.
PPC capacitor
MRM - MORE MISSILES! Also it would be very hard to use effectively because chances are they will be slow making it hard to lead them.
Thunderbolt - Long Range Missile that will always have it's damage done to the same place, but is more likely to get shot down by AMS.

Heavy Lasers - Very hot, and messes with your sensors. Will probably look awesome too.
Streak LRMs - An excuse to use LRMs for direct combat because they can't indirect fire? Sounds nice because I love using missiles. They are as heavy as the Inner Sphere LRMs though, so it depends on how they function. Perhaps faster missiles that home in better than normal LRMs but TAG + Narc + Artemis doesn't help it at all? *shrug* :)

I'm curious about the HAG. I generally like ballistics to be rather big. I'm curious how it'd be balanced though. HAG 40 does some scary damage, but it only has 3 shots for each 1 ton of ammo. Makes me worried that if it came into the game that HAG 40 might encourage some players to do the "suicide bomber" type of tactics due to lack of ammo.

Arrow IV would be nice but I've heard that they tested it long time ago and it didn't work.

On the inner sphere side I'd probably use MRMs, Light PPCs the most. Maybe MML depending on how inefficient they are.
I have a feeling I'll use Heavy Lasers on my Mad Dog if we get Heavy Lasers, but I wouldn't run Heavy lasers on everything, it's too hot.
Excluding the HAG I have an easy time imagining all of these coming into the game and being balanced. I hope we get to see them at some point.

Wow- page 4 before sum1 said what I thought AFTER RACs: The MML or the I.S's answer to the Clan's ATM system. S'okay, I will go for broke and wish for the Apollo Fire Control System to be released in conjunction with the MML.

Someone mentioned alternate transpo' for artillery pieces? The Marksman tank from TRO 2750 had extra tonnage devoted to the control eqptmnt' to provide a direct-fire capability using the Sniper Artillery piece. And speaking of that weapon, it was mounted on a 'mech during the Age of War- the Hellepolis.
Of course we canna forget the 2 'mechs designed to handle the Arrow IV Missile Artillery Battery in stock config: The Naga as was previously mentioned, and the current-to-the-timeline Liao upgrade for the Catapult.

And we NEED TSM! Though it's utility will be somewhat degraded due to the lack of physical combat. I want speed when I start heating up the enemy.
L8r on, ave

#69 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:29 AM

Just would like to see an axe or a ligthsaber! Who would't like see this kind of weapons :) , mettez-vous en garde!

#70 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

Missed the note, did you, Lightning?

This thread is for weapons that actually exist in-universe (but at a later date than 3050) that you're looking forwards to.

While the hatchet -is- sort of an axe and an actual thing, at no point in Battletech is there ever a 'light saber'. Swords, yes, 'light sabers', no.

#71 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

I'd just like LAMS (Laser Anti-Missle system), simple, maybe even let it work like a modern CIWS, that you can have it shoot at another mech if no missles in range or something, maybe 2 damage 3 heat, 200m rage?

#72 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:03 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 10 September 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

I'd just like LAMS (Laser Anti-Missle system), simple, maybe even let it work like a modern CIWS, that you can have it shoot at another mech if no missles in range or something, maybe 2 damage 3 heat, 200m rage?

With it's rate of fire!? No thank you. It would generate the highest DPs in the game.

#73 ThunderHorse

• PipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 83 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:10 PM

PPC capacitors + light PPCs

#74 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:32 AM

Long Tom Cannon(the 'mech mountable version), Arrow IV(introduced with Catapult-C3), Melee attacks(I WISH)

#75 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:17 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 10 September 2014 - 09:03 PM, said:

With it's rate of fire!? No thank you. It would generate the highest DPs in the game.

I was thinking it having a 'burst time' like that of the clan SMPLAS, so .75 seconds with a "cool down" time of 2 seconds when it would target a mech.

#76 RLBell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

View PostKeeshu, on 23 August 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

Streak LRMs - An excuse to use LRMs for direct combat because they can't indirect fire? Sounds nice because I love using missiles. They are as heavy as the Inner Sphere LRMs though, so it depends on how they function. Perhaps faster missiles that home in better than normal LRMs but TAG + Narc + Artemis doesn't help it at all? *shrug* :)

Streak LRMs could just have no minimum range. Against fast mechs at close range, the problem is keeping the lock long enough for all the missiles to fire from the larger launchers.

A way to implement the HAG is for HAGs to fire in bursts, like clan ACs. Each would get fifteen bursts per ton, with each burst being the equivalent of an LB-X-10. The HAG20 would fire two bursts, the HAG30 would fire three bursts, and the HAG40 would fire four bursts.

#77 Nastyogre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

View PostFearNotDeath, on 24 August 2014 - 04:12 AM, said:

How would you make the torso twist system work on a quad mech though? Everyone has a turret on their back that only twists so much? Going to need a lot of thinking on how to get that working. It's interesting though thanks for the idea.

Quads can't torso twist, period. Though frankly, the Tarantula is designed with a waist, unlike every other quad (maybe some new one can I'm iffy on mechs after 3075 or so)
They can do a lateral move to save movement points (walk at a 45 degree angle but point forward)
They can donkey kick Straight backwards
They don't automatically fall down when they lose a leg and can theoretically move on just 2 legs.
They can go "Prone" and be harder to hit while not suffering the penalty for firing while prone.

That's all Tabletop. None of it transfers well into MWO. We aren't missing much.

#78 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:52 PM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 05 August 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

Let me Introduce you to the Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle, introduced in 3069, coming in three flavors:
HAG 20:
4 Heat, 20 Damage (20 projectiles with 1 damage each), 10 tons, 6 crits, 480m Medium Range, 720m Long Range (which is huge in TT scale)
HAG 30:
6 Heat, 30 Damage, 13 tons, 8 crits
HAG 40:
8 Heat, 40 Damage, 16 tons, 10 crits

These babys are the undisputed kings of damage. While they stream projectiles like the ACs, they generate obscene amounts of damage that could kill a 'Mech with the first volley if it hits perfectly. They also avoid the drawback of the IS Heavy Gauss Rifle which has cosiderable projectile dropoff, requires ammo storages to consume extra critspace and can only be mounted on torso mounts due to its massive recoil and coud still cause a 'Mech to fall on its back. The Improved version is considered experimental for quite some time (until 3081 for that matter), but solves the dropoff problem by creating the single heaviest weapon, weighting an impressive 20 tons, but also delivering lethal 22 points of damage in a single projectile.

He also conveniently forgot about Clan Heavy Lasers, ER Pulse lasers, ER Micro lasers, Micro Pulse lasers, Advanced Tactical Missiles, Light and heavy MGs, Protomechs, Watchdog CEWS, Nova CEWS. Of these, the heavy lasers, micro lasers, ATMs, Watchdog and MGs are all available by 3060.

What are they?

Heavy lasers- have similar range profiles to standard lasers, but do twice the damage. (hvy lg laser can do more dmg than a CERPPC) Slight to-hit penalty due to interference available by 3059.

ER Pulse lasers - Pulse lasers with increased range, better to-hit, but slight accuracy penalty. Experimental by 3058.

Micro lasers - lighter than small lasers, while doing similar dmg, comes in both ER and pulse variants. Fielded 3060

Light MGs - less dmg, but longer ranged than MGs. Clans have by 3060, IS by 3068

Heavy MGs - more dmg, but less range than MGs. Clans have by 3059, IS by 3068

Watchdog CEWS - weighs 1.5 tons, and performs as both ECM and BAP, prototypes exist by 3059

Laser AMS - trades ammo for heat, can potentially destroy an entire LRM salvo. Should already be in the game as mass production started in 3048.

Advanced Tactical Missiles - comes in 3, 6, 9, and 12 sizes. Can be loaded with three types of ammunition: an ER LRM with 2x the range, standard range LRMS with 2x the dmg, or HE SRMs that do 3 dmg/missile. LRM types have a min. range of 120m. Experimental in 3053, mass produced by 3059

Nova CEWS - weighs 1.5 tons, performs the functions of ECM, BAP, and C3i, cannot be jammed except by another Nova CEWS, and can be mounted on a mech with Null-sig. Drawbacks: generates heat when active, C3 network is limited to three mechs, ECM and BAP have an effective range of 90m. Used by the society during the Wars of Reaving (3070+)

Note that most of these systems are/will be available within the next ten years or so

Edited by Vanguard319, 16 September 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#79 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

View PostStiletto, on 16 September 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

That's all Tabletop. None of it transfers well into MWO. We aren't missing much.

Except the Goliath, Tarantula, Barghest, and Scirocco, all four of which are amazing machines. The rest of the quads are usually pretty 'meh'.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users