Mechwarrior Franchise Owned By The People

41 replies to this topic

#41 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

The arguments about Linux vs. Windows are pretty flawed IMO. I run both daily. Ubuntu is not extremely superior and has it's share of issues!! Heck, ubuntu is trying to steal tablet market share, that's why they went to the unity GUI. Linux doesn't always interact with PC hardware as well as Windows. There should be nothing getting in the way of your interwebs.

#42 CaptainBoom

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

View PostThe Advisor, on 14 August 2014 - 05:49 AM, said:

Yeah PHT is right. You bums who hated the game and spent money on it are at just as much fault as us, and also what horrible things did MS do. You do know that FASA studios still developed the MW4 games right? You do know that MechAssault was developed by Day 1 Studios not MS? Microsoft did nothing wrong with the product. All they did was publish it. MechWarrior 3 was published by MS. MechCommander 2 was also a courtesy of MS. Seriously you guys are blaming MS for ruining the IP when in fact.... They did nothing wrong. Maybe the reason they let the IP sit for so long was because you people kept yelling at them day in and day out over those games.

Also you do know the reason that you can't choose your OS is because this game is programmed in C++ which is a Windows Language so the game still has to be ported which takes forever to do.

Woah woah wait a minute... who has a hate on for Mechwarrior? that's not what I'm saying at all. The truth is, that rant, and that's what is was, was fuelled by the disgust at how difficult microsoft makes it to enjoy Mechwarrior.

Also, no I didn't buy the PC with Windows. It just so happens it was terminally infected with windows before we got it. There is something messed up with the BIOS and the ULA that is giving me grief about formatting the hard drive via different tool kits I have. In the end, we determined to put another HD in there and load Linux, and the Linux video drivers we saved for the occasion. However, since setting up Mechwarrior Online on Linux is a balancing act, Windows is permitted to exist - at least long enough, until the Linux version runs smoothly.

That is the central argument. Dealing with a parasite operating system, that I did not pay for (Ordered it without Windows). The PC was never meant to be used for MechWarrior Online. That was just a bonus, and frankly I've really fallen in love with this game, very much like the nostalgia of my childhood Mechwarrior 2. Also... pleagued with windows crap passed of as stable OS. Remember those days? I do.

I suppose not much has changed. But at least NOW I can work at getting MWO to run on Linux. That would be the Mechwarrior experience of the future. A game... where the clumsy operating system does not get in the way of my enjoyment, my experience of what I love most. THE GAME.

I think getting this game to run on Linux, will save the community so much more money, and headache. Even though its still in a state of flux... even so, there is light at the end of the tunnel. MS....? well, how many times have you guys felt frustrated with Windows, with getting in the way or stopping you from enjoying your MWO experience?

What is it in particular? well, it's the approach, and grooming MS puts into every nut and bolt in the OS system. Everywhere you look, MS tries to make you pay attention to them, their special way of doing things. Worst of... it doesn't even work properly. Oh... like how about a touch screen operating system on a desktop? really? why? no one wants the surface, because it's the same MS experience. We haven't even gotten into the plague of viruses, or ransom ware, or shovel ware, or the idea that every problem can be fixed by downloading "Fix". Like... oh I don't know... how about the start button? anyone else missing that?

It's just... a lot of little things. A long laundry list of almost done. And LOOK AT ME! I AM MICROSOFT. Honestly.. like living with a boat that has a hole in it. Always bailing out a glass full of water. Always "not good enough". Always... WHOOPS here is an update for a catastrophic zero day bug. Sorry about that. Hope it works, and doesn't mess up the anything on your system.

All I want to do. is have a nice PC to run video, play some Linux games and surf the net. With Linux, it's not as bad. At least I know I can tweak the system to hum like a engine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users