Worthy Adversary Leaderboard!

215 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

Greetings MechWarriors,
We are pleased to announce  our first-ever [font=" 'Stratum1 Medium'; font-size: medium; background-color: transparent;"]Clan vs IS Leaderboard Challenge![/font]
[font=" 'Stratum1 Medium'; font-size: medium; background-color: transparent;"] [/font]
[font=" 'Stratum1 Medium'; font-size: medium; background-color: transparent;"]The Leaderboard will be divided into 8 categories. [/font]
[font=" 'Stratum1 Medium'; font-size: medium; background-color: transparent;"]1 per weight class for the Inner Sphere, 1 per weight class for the Clans.[/font]
[font=" 'Stratum1 Medium'; font-size: medium; background-color: transparent;"]Prizes will be available for each of the 8 categories:[/font]
[font=" 'Stratum1 Medium'; font-size: medium; background-color: transparent;"]1st place: 1600 [/font]
[font=" 'Stratum1 Medium'; font-size: medium; background-color: transparent;"]2nd place: 675 [/font]
[font=" 'Stratum1 Medium'; font-size: medium; background-color: transparent;"]3rd place: 300 [/font]
[font=" 'Stratum1 Medium'; font-size: medium; background-color: transparent;"]4th place: 300 [/font]
[font=" 'Stratum1 Medium'; font-size: medium; background-color: transparent;"]5th place: 250 [/font]
[font=" 'Stratum1 Medium'; font-size: medium; background-color: transparent;"] [/font]
[font=" 'Stratum1 Medium'; font-size: medium; background-color: transparent;"]This challenge will start at 10:00AM [PDT] on Friday, August 15th, 2014.[/font]
[font=" 'Stratum1 Medium'; font-size: medium; background-color: transparent;"]The challenge will end at 11:59PM [PDT] on Monday, August 18th, 2014.[/font]
[font=" 'Stratum1 Medium'; font-size: medium; background-color: transparent;"]To be eligible to join, you must opt-in on the Tournaments page: [/font]https://mwomercs.com/tournaments
Please review the Competition highlights before taking part, as well as our full Contest Rules outlined here in Legalese: http://mwomercs.com/...-contest-rules/

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:02 AM

I don't understand why the 5th place reward has been "downgraded" to "under" a mechbay.

#3 UBCslayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 233 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 15 August 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

I don't understand why the 5th place reward has been "downgraded" to "under" a mechbay.

Perhaps you need to carry harder and get first place and claim the 1600 MC rather than worrying about 5th.

#4 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 15 August 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

Because reasons.

#5 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 15 August 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

We're currently under a legal restriction from Quebec law where-in we cannot offer more than $100.00 in total prize value from a promotional contest. The alternative is a mountain of red-tape and paperwork to register the contest with the provincial gambling bureau.

As such, we looked at 3 alternative ways to deliver prizes for this competition, including reducing the number of prizes and dropping the top level prize: We felt the path we took was the safest of the options, but you are more than welcome to disagree and let us know why! There will be plenty more events like this in the future and room to adjust with each one. :(

So like I said "reasons". :P Either way I got to say Quebec always seems to have some strange rules for contests and prizes that make me scratch my head.

#6 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

We're currently under a legal restriction from Quebec law where-in we cannot offer more than $100.00 in total prize value from a promotional contest. The alternative is a mountain of red-tape and paperwork to register the contest with the provincial gambling bureau.

As such, we looked at 3 alternative ways to deliver prizes for this competition, including reducing the number of prizes and dropping the top level prize: We felt the path we took was the safest of the options, but you are more than welcome to disagree and let us know why! There will be plenty more events like this in the future and room to adjust with each one. :(

I'm scratching my head whether to believe you or just the madness that is the legality of it all.

Even just shifting 25 MC from both the 1st and 2nd place winners would be "sufficient" (it's not exactly fair either, but it is what it is).

#7 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

Interested to see how this turns out. With mixed teams the IS vs Clans should work out pretty even as far as scoring goes.

#8 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

I wish the prize would be bigger. Remember how a year ago we had both a top of category prize and an overall prize? If you won both, you could win both prizes, doubling your earnings. I believe the amount I won was 5,000 MC. Maybe boost it up to something like that again?

You could always have a MC sale the same weekend... lower the price of MC. U.S. Politicians dance around red tape like this all the time!

:P

#9 rusticatedcharm

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

I think you read the rules wrong. The only rules that apply to contests under $2k are 5 and 6. Both of these sections have nothing to do with registering anything with anyone.

Edited by rusticatedcharm, 15 August 2014 - 09:55 AM.

#10 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 15 August 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

I salute you for proper documentation on the matter.

#11 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:22 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 15 August 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

I salute you for proper documentation on the matter.

I don't think they read it right.

1. These Rules do not apply to publicity contests where the total value of the prizes offered does not exceed $2,000, with the exception of sections 5 and 6 that apply to all publicity contests in which the total value of the prizes exceeds $100.

Decision 82-08-02, s. 1; M.O. 98-12-03, s. 1.

If it doesn't exceed 2k, no registration is required. Sections 5 and 6 they practically already have covered in print alone.

(though in the two minutes I read it I might have missed something)

Edited by Mister Blastman, 15 August 2014 - 09:24 AM.

#12 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

Sooooo......

Does this all happen in a 10 v 12 que for this contest? Or is that a separate test being announced later?

Edited by SpiralFace, 15 August 2014 - 09:25 AM.

#13 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 15 August 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

I don't think they read it right.

If it doesn't exceed 2k, no registration is required. Sections 5 and 6 they practically already have covered in print alone.

(though in the two minutes I read it I might have missed something)

If I'm reading this right, these rules apply to "contests" that have prizes valued between $100 and $2000.

Technically, PGI is doing the bare minimum or the "max". The sum of all the MC is 25000, which is literally the $100 package (well, 99.95).

Edited by Deathlike, 15 August 2014 - 09:28 AM.

#14 Phearless047

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 40 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

View PostUBCslayer, on 15 August 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

Perhaps you need to carry harder and get first place and claim the 1600 MC rather than worrying about 5th.

When a Clanner is making more sense than a "freeborn", we have a problem in the Inner Sphere. :P

PS: Go, Davion! Beat Smoke Jaguar! :(

#15 Priest4357

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

FYI, your page for this contest says that it ends Monday Aug 23rd. The 23rd is a Saturday over a week from now. FYI

#16 Orkdung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 296 posts
  • LocationCCAF Sian

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

Seems so much of PGI's headache lies in Quebec.

Remove yourselves from the Quebec umbilical cord; they've only hindered you from the start.

#17 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 15 August 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

I'll have more details on this in an announcement later today
The short version is that we will make 10v12 a Casual private lobby event for this weekend. NGNG is teaming up with some competitive units to help carry out a more formal test using a variety of drop decks which will be streamed tomorrow. I'll be leading some casual private lobbies later this afternoon.

Sounds good.

So for those of us that are not associated with a competitive team or are a part of the NGNG crew, is there going to be a way of facilitating tests for the masses to actually group up and form our own opinions on this as well?

#18 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

Ähm, thanks guys for another great event!

What i don't understand is why this event is at the same time as the marik mech bay challenge for 2 reasons:
1) Clanners can't really participate in both events at the same time
2) If these events happen on different weekends, we can enjoy them both to the fullest.

Since i don't anticipate me being in the top 5 this is no real issue for me.
Also i wouldn't carry out the 10vs12 at the same weekend, since this again means people have to decide whether they will play marik challenge, leaderbord event or 10vs12... I think you are hampering yourself on this one. Split it up and we'll be happy for 3 weekends.

Still: Thanks for the events! I have missed them between TDR-9S and the Steiner Challenge.

#19 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

5th place should at least get enough MC to buy a mech bay.

#20 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

Personally I'm fine with the way the prizes are being handled.

But i was wondering on the legal side if by instead of offering MC itself, you could offer ingame items. I know technically the ingame hero mechs do have a real life money value to them, but maybe offering something like this could bypasess the law :

1st place, Hero mech of choice w/ mech bay, plus champion mech of choice. Idk maybe a cockpit item of choice.

2nd place, Hero mech of choice w/ mech bay. idk maybe cockpit item of choice.

3nd place, Champion mech of choice w/ mech bay.

4th place, Regular mech of choice w/ mech bay(?) Okay I'm running out of ideas here but you get the idea...

Maybe a system like this bypasses Quebec law? I am not a laywer so i don't know.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users