215 replies to this topic

#21 UBCslayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 233 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

Pretty embarrassing that you guys would even go through with running this tournament with the state of the game right now... 3 out of my 5 games have been completely de-synced. It`s pathetic really.

#22 Desintegrator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

So many things to do this weekend...

Tournament + Mechbay...

There will be many players online and the servers will be averloaded as hell.

#23 rusticatedcharm

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 15 August 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

If I'm reading this right, these rules apply to "contests" that have prizes valued between $100 and $2000.

Technically, PGI is doing the bare minimum or the "max". The sum of all the MC is 25000, which is literally the $100 package (well, 99.95).

I think you are reading it wrong. Rules 5 and 6 are the only ones that apply to contests with a prize pool less than $2k dollars.

#24 Shlkt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

We're currently under a legal restriction from Quebec law where-in we cannot offer more than $100.00 in total prize value from a promotional contest.

Simple! Just create a new tier, $1,000 for 1,000,000 MC. Suddenly MC is worth half as much, and you can offer twice as many prizes. Buy a round of drinks for everyone in the office if a whale actually purchases the $1000 package :(

#25 UBCslayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 233 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 15 August 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

We've been working on a variety of ways to improve our network: At this stage no option is really off the table, we're looking into the hardware, the infrastructure, our internet provider; everything. I'll have more news to come on that front soon. :(

Glad you are working on it... just frustrating when you are in the middle of a killing spree and a game you know will help you in the tournament and your game freezes. Get your top men working on this please.

#26 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 15 August 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

We're currently under a legal restriction from Quebec law where-in we cannot offer more than $100.00 in total prize value from a promotional contest. The alternative is a mountain of red-tape and paperwork to register the contest with the provincial gambling bureau.

As such, we looked at 3 alternative ways to deliver prizes for this competition, including reducing the number of prizes and dropping the top level prize: We felt the path we took was the safest of the options, but you are more than welcome to disagree and let us know why! There will be plenty more events like this in the future and room to adjust with each one. :(

How can you run serious Esports without any prizes? :P

#27 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

You dishonorable surats!

We of the clans deplore waste and inefficiency. Batchall and skillful bidding force each warrior to seek victory with a minimum of expended resources.

Of course we are going to conserve MC by pursuing a free mechbay. Our skill with your inferior weapons only shows the righteousness of our actions.

How dare you use our honor to further the Inner Sphere in this ridiculous challenge you have issued.

#28 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

We're currently under a legal restriction from Quebec law where-in we cannot offer more than $100.00 in total prize value from a promotional contest. The alternative is a mountain of red-tape and paperwork to register the contest with the provincial gambling bureau.

As such, we looked at 3 alternative ways to deliver prizes for this competition, including reducing the number of prizes and dropping the top level prize: We felt the path we took was the safest of the options, but you are more than welcome to disagree and let us know why! There will be plenty more events like this in the future and room to adjust with each one. :(

Make em MC sale prizes :P. Temporarily reduce the price of MC,lol.

Jokes aside, thanks for taking the time to explain. I'd hate to be your legal guy/gal working with so many locations and local laws..

#29 AntharPrime

• 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 15 August 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

View Postrusticatedcharm, on 15 August 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

I think you read the rules wrong. The only rules that apply to contests under $2k are 5 and 6. Both of these sections have nothing to do with registering anything with anyone.

This exactly, the only sections that apply to total prize pots between $100 and $2000 are sections 5 and 6. Those sections only require you to post the rules of the contest and announce the winners. Only contests over $2000 required the "mountain of red tape" you spoke of.

#30 xCico

• WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:49 AM

its weird, there is no clan faction players in single bracket...

#31 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

Well, good luck to all of you who registered here for competition!

#32 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

Strange, but understandable. I would have to suggest lowering the top prize by a few hundred MC to let it trickle down to the lower prizes, especially 5th place. If a free-to-play champ earned 5th he should at least be able to get a new, well-deserved Mech Bay with it :blink:

Plus it makes everyone happier. The player that earns 1st place will be happy to make it on top of the leaderboards no matter what, the MC is essentially icing on the cake. Everyone else will be happier because they earned a little more MC, and if the lower prizes were worth enough I would probably play more competitively to earn say 4th place. Nonetheless, as long as 1st place has 30% or more in MC than 2nd place, I'm sure that they will be happy :P I would be!

Edited by Pezzer, 15 August 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#33 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

View PostDavers, on 15 August 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

How can you run serious Esports without any prizes? :(

E-sports tournament holders are willing to handle the legal red tape, because money. Plus, I don't think VG cares about signing 20 forms if it means a chance at winning $10k, but the average schmoe like me on the forums would NOT be willing to do the same thing for a chance at $200. I get angry at job forms [redacted], let alone actual legal [sutff] that I have to sign xD

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 15 August 2014 - 03:02 PM.
Language

#34 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

Hey Niko, I don't think the faction icons are working properly on the leaderboard. I'm not seeing any clan icons from people I'm pretty sure are using one.

Edit: I think every clan faction icon is defaulting to Steiner house icon instead.

Edited by Jman5, 15 August 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#35 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

As such, we looked at 3 alternative ways to deliver prizes for this competition, including reducing the number of prizes and dropping the top level prize: We felt the path we took was the safest of the options, but you are more than welcome to disagree and let us know why! There will be plenty more events like this in the future and room to adjust with each one. :rolleyes:

OMG... tell IGP to come 2 hrs west and set up shop in Ottawa. Avoid that bullcrap.

I'm organizing my organizations centennial celebrations and annual conference which is in Montreal this year. It's been an utter nightmare.

#36 The Flying Gecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 372 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

I can't help but think that on the notion on MC as a prize there would be numerous work-arounds to avoid the Quebec stipulation. Like the idea of having an 'absurd MC package' available simply to undermine the law.

Couldn't you technically offer to sell 100 MC for $0.01 (limited time offer, of about 2 seconds, with no advertising)
Or something like a "Last chance to buy those golden clan mechs, now on sale for $499.99 (+$0.01 'worth' of MC)

MC doesn't really have any 'value' it's totally arbitrary.

#37 BARBAR0SSA

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

As such, we looked at 3 alternative ways to deliver prizes for this competition, including reducing the number of prizes and dropping the top level prize: We felt the path we took was the safest of the options, but you are more than welcome to disagree and let us know why! There will be plenty more events like this in the future and room to adjust with each one. :rolleyes:

Time to Move fellas!
Calgary is great, wink wink hint hint, bring the servers with you.

#38 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 15 August 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

I think it's awesome you took the time and effort to post this to show us the regulations you have to operate under!!!!! And lame as **** it doesn't actually say what you claim it does. All most every single item from rule 5 & 6 as already been followed, the only thing missing is an entry page for the contest (and one of those might already be up but I hadn't looked for it yet.) It's my exact feelings towards this game in a nutshell. Extreme happiness at the claims of what and why something is going to happen, followed by bitter disappointment at the reality of what is. Why even bother to compete in this contest with thousands & thousands of other people when only the top 5 get prizes..? Waste of time but hey if it drums up more players on the servers... good job, I guess.

#39 BARBAR0SSA

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

View PostI_AM_ZHOUL, on 15 August 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

I think it's awesome you took the time and effort to post this to show us the regulations you have to operate under!!!!! And lame as **** it doesn't actually say what you claim it does. All most every single item from rule 5 & 6 as already been followed, the only thing missing is an entry page for the contest (and one of those might already be up but I hadn't looked for it yet.) It's my exact feelings towards this game in a nutshell. Extreme happiness at the claims of what and why something is going to happen, followed by bitter disappointment at the reality of what is. Why even bother to compete in this contest with thousands & thousands of other people when only the top 5 get prizes..? Waste of time but hey if it drums up more players on the servers... good job, I guess.

Aren't there 2 tournaments happening this weekend?
Free Mechbay AND this?

#40 Anagaxoras

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

Threaten to move your business to the US, watch how fast they let go of those rules.. Our Company did and got all sorts of perks to stay in Toronto, Markham actually, but yeah

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users