Cicada Nerf

17 replies to this topic

#1 ghos t in the shel l

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Locationhttps://discord.gg/SsRASYJUe5

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:33 PM

Why was the Cicada acceleration and deceleration nerfed? I don't understand.

#2 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

View PostR E N Z O, on 15 August 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

Where did this occur? I don't recall anything Cicada in any of the patch notes

#3 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCrash landed on Weingarten III

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

It wasn't mentioned in patch notes but it was slightly nerfed. Acceleration reduction among other penalties if I'm not mistaken. When you couple that with the PPC's velocity reduction, the Cicada seems much less combat effective now. Ashame too; where once you could rely on its agility and stealth able to fire safely from a distance before repositioning, you're now forced to either move in a little closer or carry beam weapons which give away your position immediately. It's made fighting Stormcrows end game much more difficult.

#4 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

Perhaps some players complained about them being too agile and light on their feet. Something along the lines of "they're too hard to hit!"

Edited by Tabu 73, 16 August 2014 - 10:00 PM.

#5 CyborgDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationRight behind you o.o

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

I like how only the 3M received a slight nerf (most likely to balance its ECM) but apparently that means every Cicada was nerfed...

#6 Ironwithin

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:34 AM

As CyborgDragon said, only the 3M has negative quirks and those might have been there all along.
We only recently got this neat display for 'mech-quirks in mechlab, so now we can see them. It doesn't mean they weren't there before.

#7 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:33 AM

View PostTabu 73, on 16 August 2014 - 09:58 PM, said:

Perhaps some players complained about them being too agile and light on their feet. Something along the lines of "they're too hard to hit!"

yea, the 1% elite players complained probably and therefore the rest suffer from a nerf that wasn't necessary at all.

#8 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 481 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

They just added a way for people to see the "quirks" each Chassis had recently, so you like many others are only now seeing the up sides and downsides of certain mechs that were there all along. For example, for a long time, the Yeng Lo Wang had a very fast torso twist, great for those people who know how to fire their big gun (usually AC20) then torso twist it out of the way so thier main opponent can't fire it. Also great for spreading damage over all torsos. This is represented by a +25% torso turn rate I think, something like that. It has some other quirks as well. Other Centurions, some at least, have a decrease in acceleration, something not known or noted before by people. Thing is though, if you look back, they did thier "balance pass" on these mechs a long time ago and these penalties have been there all along. But what recently happened was they updated these old mech Quirks, to display on the new system.

Assuming that Cicada's were specially nerfed either because A. the 3m (alone) now shows this negative quirk, or B. because you've noticed that PPCs being slower makes it harder to play how you have been comfortable, is wrong. Look through the mechs you have, you'll find most all now list some sort of handling modification, even if it's just Light Mech's +5% Leg Internals. In the balancing pass many moons back, they gave these negative quirks around to balance some of the variants out, such that for example, most commandos move faster than 150 with a bigger engine max, or can run faster backwards... while ecm variants do not. Similar with the Ravens, with the 3L as well, where the other Raven's at least got turn rate increases and engine cap increases - which the 3L was left out in the cold from.

Edited by Mad Porthos, 17 August 2014 - 06:47 AM.

#9 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:44 AM

The ECM variant gets bad quirks and the others get good quirks. If PGI balanced ECM that wouldn't be necessary, but someone there must still think 180m skillcloak is good for the game.

#10 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:50 AM

View PostIronwithin, on 17 August 2014 - 05:34 AM, said:

As CyborgDragon said, only the 3M has negative quirks and those might have been there all along.
We only recently got this neat display for 'mech-quirks in mechlab, so now we can see them. It doesn't mean they weren't there before.

I've been playing the Cicada 3M for a long time and I can tell you there's a difference. It wasn't this sluggish before.

Edited by Tabu 73, 17 August 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#11 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:54 AM

View PostCyborgDragon, on 16 August 2014 - 10:04 PM, said:

I like how only the 3M received a slight nerf (most likely to balance its ECM) but apparently that means every Cicada was nerfed...

That's because the 3M was the only Cicada worth bringing in group/competitive play. The X-5 is good if you're pugging, or if you're in a small wolf pack with other fast mechs - provided at least one of them has ECM.

Edited by Tabu 73, 17 August 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

View PostTabu 73, on 16 August 2014 - 09:54 PM, said:

It wasn't mentioned in patch notes but it was slightly nerfed.

There has not been any nerfs or buffs to medium mechs since the medium mech overhaul.

All quirks listed that are NOT on the Awesome or the Dragon, are not new, these are old and only shown for the first time since the medium mech overhaul.

It's been the same way it's been for nearly a year or more. Just now you know about it.

#13 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

View PostKoniving, on 17 August 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

All quirks listed that are NOT on the Awesome or the Dragon, are not new, these are old and only shown for the first time since the medium mech overhaul.
It's been the same way it's been for nearly a year or more. Just now you know about it.

I'm sorry but that's just plain wrong. Every player I know who has a Victor can tell you there's a difference. The quirks with the Victor are new and they happened after the last patch or two. Before I even took a look at the mechs stats I noticed something was a miss. I played round after round until finally someone mentioned hovering the cursor over the mech to display its stats. Maybe some mechs had quirks before they bothered to display them with the last patch but PGI has definitely messed with the 3M and the Victors - even if they haven't bothered to mention it in the patch notes.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

View PostTabu 73, on 17 August 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

I'm sorry but that's just plain wrong. Every player I know who has a Victor can tell you there's a difference. The quirks with the Victor are new and they happened after the last patch or two. Before I even took a look at the mechs stats I noticed something was a miss. I played round after round until finally someone mentioned hovering the cursor over the mech to display its stats. Maybe some mechs had quirks before they bothered to display them with the last patch but PGI has definitely messed with the 3M and the Victors - even if they haven't bothered to mention it in the patch notes.

You don't remember the negative quirks of the Victor / Highlander nerf, do you?

Every single quirk on the Victor is listed in two places. The Victor / Highlander nerf. And those that are not, are listed in the Variant Release for when Victors first came out. Line them up side by side. Nothing changed.

There is exactly one nerf whether listed or not as a quirk that is new.

The jumpjet nerf.

#15 Ecrof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 17 August 2014 - 06:33 AM, said:

yea, the 1% elite players complained probably and therefore the rest suffer from a nerf that wasn't necessary at all.

Yes because the silent majority is so much better I love when they play that card.

#16 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

The Cicada hasn't changed since March 2013.

http://mwomercs.com/...97-05-mar-2013/

All Cicada quirks were added/changed on the introduction of the X5.

Edited by Deathlike, 18 August 2014 - 06:00 PM.

#17 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:57 AM

View PostKoniving, on 17 August 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

You don't remember the negative quirks of the Victor / Highlander nerf, do you?

Every single quirk on the Victor is listed in two places. The Victor / Highlander nerf. And those that are not, are listed in the Variant Release for when Victors first came out. Line them up side by side. Nothing changed.

There is exactly one nerf whether listed or not as a quirk that is new.

The jumpjet nerf.

Ah, I must have missed that one then. I stand corrected. Apologies for letting my emotions on the matter cloud my judgement.

#18 Wrathful-Khan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:11 AM

Cicada 3M master race!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d3db1a6f8ab5fcd

Been my favourite ride for since I bought it last year some time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users