Critque My Shadowhawk Build.

13 replies to this topic

#1 Sazzbaum

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:32 PM

Hello, I just started playing this game for a week and recently purchased my first Mech: The Shadow Hawk SHD-2H.

SHD-2H

What do you think about this build?

Personally, I'm leaning forward the "support role", not a brawler becasue the XL300 engine can't handle much. I hang back behind the heavy and assault and only join the fray when they are commited to it. Though in small skirmish with other medium or light I often stand my ground provided that there are teamates to make the fight as unfair as possible.
Medium laser to defend against lights and poke at thing.
SRM4 for heavy-duty fighting.
AC/10 for the occasional long-range harassment and brawling. I'm still unsure between AC/10 or Ultra AC/5 for more range, faster fire rate but spread damage. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

It looks OK if you are good with the AC10. The UAC5 can generally perform better thanks to the straight projectile path, and you can always find a use for the saved 4 tons (3 from the weapon, 1 from needing less ammo).

As another upgrade, consider downgrading to XL280 and removing a jump jet for another heatsink and 3 tons of AC10 ammo. The speed reduction should not be terrible. For that, you get more DPS, and the gun will not run out as often.

As you get better at not getting shot in the back, you can drop the ass padding a bit. You also want one empty arm for shielding, so empty the left by moving the ammo to where your laser is. That way you only have one arm you need to protect. The other becomes fully expendable as a shield.

Combine the concepts, and you get XL280, 3xSRM4+LL+UAC5. When running a mix of longer and shorter range weapons like that, remember to use the range first when possible. SRMs are nice for shredding, but that squishy engine means that you want heavier mechs to tank before you.

Edited by Modo44, 16 August 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#3 theta123

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:09 AM

SHD-2D

having a STD engine, slower, and streaks instead of SRM4's, this has been my Shadowhawk 2D build since day one. Also sports an extra medium laser; DHS and durability

#4 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:18 AM

View PostSazzbaum, on 16 August 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

Hello, I just started playing this game for a week and recently purchased my first Mech: The Shadow Hawk SHD-2H.

SHD-2H

Personally, I'm leaning forward the "support role", not a brawler becasue the XL300 engine can't handle much. I hang back behind the heavy and assault and only join the fray when they are commited to it. Though in small skirmish with other medium or light I often stand my ground provided that there are teamates to make the fight as unfair as possible.
AC/10 for the occasional long-range harassment and brawling. I'm still unsure between AC/10 or Ultra AC/5 for more range, faster fire rate but spread damage. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

One real recommendation if you want to run this build. Move the lone ton of SRM ammo in the shield arm to the right torso.

That arm is the one that will take lots of hits, and you don't want a premature ammo explosion to annihilate you early.

EDIT: Also, drop 2 points of armor from the head. (16 is enough to survive double gauss to the skull), and slap them into that shield arm. It should stop as much damage as possible.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 23 August 2014 - 04:24 AM.

#5 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:21 AM

View Posttheta123, on 23 August 2014 - 03:09 AM, said:

SHD-2D

having a STD engine, slower, and streaks instead of SRM4's, this has been my Shadowhawk 2D build since day one. Also sports an extra medium laser; DHS and durability

don't you find that locks are harder and stopped by ECM a lot without bap ?

#6 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

SHD-2H

Thanks in advance.

looks ok as mentioned UAC5 can, be better, if your o.k with it jamming from time to time, so you have to be controlled with your trigger pulls even when your in the thick of it, if you think you can't be then ac10 or ac5 and srm 4 or streaks with bap depends on again personal preferences with aiming and holding targets.

I run srm builds but I also runs streak builds, if I was running my S/hawks the the game being as buggy as it is currently I'd go streaks as aiming is being a mare with major lag problems and teleporting.

but if your not suffering this then srms is the way to go for a brawl build, and streaks a light hunter as I said I use both options

#7 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

The ML isn't going to do much good--it doesn't add any range and reduces your DPS. The XL is also going to make you really fragile.

So Ditch the ML, remove all but 6 points of armor in each arm, and downgrade to the biggest STD engine you can fit. You can also add 2xMG+1/2 ton of ammo. The UAC5 might not be a bad idea, either.

Edited by Mizeur, 23 August 2014 - 10:59 AM.

#8 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

Looks fine to me.., But if i were you i would move that ammo out of the left arm, and stick it in my right arm, or right torso.. That arm is for shielding with torso twist.. the last thing you want is it to get crits and explode the ammo. totally ruins the point of the shield arm.

#9 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:31 AM

I'd move the ammo in the left arm, strip 4 points of armor off of it, and reallocate that armor to the legs. A legged medium is a dead medium.

Otherwise a pretty decent build. Little short on the ammo for the AC10, I'd personally strip that dead arm way down and drop the engine to a 295 to fit another ton for it... but that depends on how much ammo you typically go through in a match.

#10 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:11 AM

View PostCathy, on 23 August 2014 - 04:21 AM, said:

don't you find that locks are harder and stopped by ECM a lot without bap ?

it has been annoying from time to time. But overall, its not too bad. This is a standard build. the types wich i enjoy as i like long duration battles, and i just hate seeing my mech dieing because its side torso is gone

#11 Alianton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:52 AM

personally mate just one UAC could be a bit dangerous. you might jam when you need it most. my favourite is my 5M, XL275, 2 MLs 2AC5

or if i'm adventurous it's MPLs but then again, if you think it too hot you can go for 2MLs and extra 2 DHS.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f8cb81d67c6e483

This is my favourite. you sit fairly far back and keep hititng ith the AC5s. I have my AC5's on 1 and MLs for light shoo-ing

#12 ExplodedZombie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA, U.S.A.

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:46 PM

This build is incredibly powerful. I use something similar (smaller engine with 2 MG slaved to the medium laser). It makes a fantastic strike mech!

I would not go with a UAC5. Just get a SRM4 and AC10 module and you're a mass-murderer on the field.

#13 Postumus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:32 PM

SHD-5M

This is what I use, 2x AC/5 gives the same damage per hit as an AC/10 but with better range, projectile speed, and rate of fire (DPS). 2x ML and 2x SRM2 is good backup and extra DPS. 3 tons of ammo is 45 shots for the AC/5s, which is usually more than enough, but you can always drop a HS for another ton. I notice a lot of people go overboard with ammo on ballistic builds using AC2/5, which is a waste when the tonnage can go to either heatsinks or more weapons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users