Stats That Are More Meaningful

12 replies to this topic

#1 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:45 AM

Without actual Community Warfare where factions can battle over planets, 'mech factories, resources, etc., the only thing some MWO players feel they have to aim for is "good stats". Unfortunately, the stats they're aiming for don't really show how good they are at the game and pursuing such a goal makes them bad teammates and opponents.

Kill/Death Ratio or KDR is a prime example of this. In the pursuit of higher KDR, some players can and have resorted to the following:

Hide and Shut Down. When they realize the battle is lost, some players hide and shut down, hoping the clock will run out before they're found and killed in order to protect their KDR. Other players sometimes have to wait 7 or more minutes for the match to end or the KDR hog to get killed. This would almost never happen if there was no KDR to protect.

Zombie-Style Swarming. This is when the team swarms around a lone enemy 'mech hoping to get the kill shot and end up shooting their teammates in the back. I've seen a teammate get teamkilled this way.

Kill Trolling. I've spectated this so I know it happens. Guy zips around the battlefield in a light 'mech looking for enemy 'mechs that are nearly dead. He spots one murdering his teammate and sees the enemy is still in somewhat good shape. Rather than save his teammate, he looks around and spots a weaponless enemy being hit and about to die then shoots that one instead hoping to land the killing blow and inflate his KDR (and ego) while doing only 1 to 5% of the damage.

Gaming the System. In the group queue, it's possible for a guild to have a "designated hitter" before they drop. Whenever possible, that's the guy who's supposed to land the killing blow. The guild can then advertise that they're elite because all their members have high KDR.

Teammates as Clay Pigeons. These guys basically wait while the two teams duke it out, then swoop in after their teammates take the bulk of the damage dished out by the enemy. They can then shoot the heavily-damaged enemy 'mechs to dish out the last 1-5% of the damage needed for the kills then say "Look at me! I have high KDR!"

Last but not least, KDR sometimes simply means having the dumb luck to land the killing blow. It happens to me and I'm sure it happens to everyone else.

Because all of the above can be used to artificially inflate one's KDR, the stat becomes meaningless. Not only does KDR fail to reliably show who's a better Mechwarrior, it also encourages players to do things that are detrimental to their team and/or a hassle for everyone else in the match.

What's the Solution? Get rid of KDR and put up stats that are more meaningful. One possibility is Average Match Score. This would reward teamwork (assists) and players who play a role well (spotting, for example). PGI can even tweak Average Match Score by reallocating how many points you get for each action (kills, assists, damage, spotting, etc.), unlike KDR which is fixed (you can't partially kill or be somewhat dead -it's all or nothing) and untweakable.

Ditching KDR in favor of more meaningful stats (suggestions are welcome) will allow us to more accurately determine Mechwarrior quality and lessen the unwanted behaviour listed above. Note: Win/Loss might still be a usable stat, but maybe only for teams.

Edited by Triordinant, 18 August 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#2 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

This is a FEATURE SUGGESTION. Why has it been moved to General Discussion?

#3 Kassatsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

Because it's going to be completely ignored. This is MLGpro land yo, KDR is the only thing that matters.

Not like we're getting community warfare in the next year. It's truly the next DNF.

Edited by Kassatsu, 18 August 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#4 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

Let it all out.

#5 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

At least it's not Elo.

#6 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

With KDR being an absolutely private statistic that can only be shared with the rest of the world via screenshots... most of what you say is rather silly. The software to make fake screenshots has been available for, what, 20 years? Why would anyone spend hours in a conspiracy to falsely inflate a guild member's KDR, when it takes about 1 minute to make a fake screenshot of KDR stats, using Microsoft Paint?

Anyway, this is the solution:

Make all statistics public. Whenever someone gets killed in a match, display the Elo rank of both the killer and the unfortunate victim. Have public scoreboards of the top 100 Elo players. Make Elo ranks public on the forum.

#7 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

Isn't 'kill trolling' good play on the part of the light? Dead enemies stop shooting. Slight annoyed enemies that you're not significantly damaging don't. Your teammate you were trying to save still dies, and now you have a pissed-off Timberwolf in your face.

(it's always a Timberwolf. Always.)

#8 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

Only stat that matters is

AYHF ratio (Are You Having Fun)

If its a positive, you are in good shape.

#9 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

View Postterrycloth, on 18 August 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

Isn't 'kill trolling' good play on the part of the light? Dead enemies stop shooting. Slight annoyed enemies that you're not significantly damaging don't. Your teammate you were trying to save still dies, and now you have a pissed-off Timberwolf in your face.

The guy I spectated killed a weaponless enemy rather than help his teammate. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll edit the post.

View Postterrycloth, on 18 August 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

(it's always a Timberwolf. Always.)

I LOL'd.

Edited by Triordinant, 18 August 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#10 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

one match I was in-- they circled around me and picked me apart, they took off both arms then one leg crit both sides I mean these guys where good. I did not know a Mech could have so much damage and still be alive. I just typed nice once they did kill me (I also determined in my mind never to do that, either kill them or not)

Another match my team mate spent time jumping on my head for some reason I typed what the hell are you doing. Lastly was the guy that took my arm off toward the end of the match (we were not in a brawl or anything)

My KDR is .53 and is red (been too scared to ask what that means, me I have a paper and I mark down when I live and when I die

I died 39 times Sunday

Edited by Davegt27, 18 August 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#11 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 18 August 2014 - 12:31 PM, said:

My KDR is .53 and is red (been too scared to ask what that means, me I have a paper and I mark down when I live and when I die

It's Kill to Death Ratio, and it means basically nothing, if you're enjoying yourself and a credit to the team.

#12 Xmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

The matchmaker is designed to keep you at 1.1 win ratio. A red K/DR means you have been destroyed more than you have killed.

Your K/DR stat will be green once you have killed more than yourself being killed.

The matchmaker does not include K/DR when setting matches, only W/L.

KD/R is much more important than W/L for a lot of players.

Both W/L and KD/R stats are important to me. Therefore I try to win just as much as I try to destroy battemechs.

Edited by Xmith, 18 August 2014 - 02:38 PM.

#13 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

View PostXmith, on 18 August 2014 - 02:33 PM, said:

The matchmaker is designed to keep you at 1.1 win ratio. A red K/DR means you have been destroyed more than you have killed.

Your K/DR stat will be green once you have killed more than yourself being killed.

The matchmaker does not include K/DR when setting matches, only W/L.

KD/R is much more important than W/L for a lot of players.

Both W/L and KD/R stats are important to me. Therefore I try to win just as much as I try to destroy battemechs.

If you kill all of them, you win! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users