6 replies to this topic

#1 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

Is anybody else experiencing this issue? Almost every time I visit an mwomercs page I am instead greeted with a new tab featuring some ridiculous ad. Most ads try to convince the user that they need to update their browser, youtube, OS, some of them are surveys.

I'm running Google Chrome with ABP on Win7.

I'll provide a few examples of the ads I get presented with (click at own risk or mods may remove if deemed necessary)

[redacted]

For the record, I'm only getting these ads from the mwomercs site, I have not been receiving them on other websites.

Edited by Nikolai Lubkiewicz, 21 September 2014 - 03:03 AM.
links removed

#2 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:40 PM

I'm sorry, but from the looks of it, the problem lies on your end. There are no ads on the mwomercs website.

This looks like your system has been compromised, even if you do not get these on other websites. The best way to get rid of an infection is a complete swipe of the harddrive and a reinstallation of the OS. You can try a deep scan with your anti-virus and programs like these first:
adwcleaner
Spybot - Search and Destroy

Edited by Egomane, 22 August 2014 - 11:41 PM.

#3 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:13 AM

If I'm the only one getting this, then thank you for answering my question. I can better look into it now; strange that it's isolated to one site.

#4 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:28 AM

View PostTarogato, on 23 August 2014 - 12:13 AM, said:

If I'm the only one getting this, then thank you for answering my question. I can better look into it now; strange that it's isolated to one site.

I deactivated all my ad- and scriptblockers and nothing showed up. It is indeed strange that only one website seems to be affected. I hope you get it sorted.

#5 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:35 AM

I saw a similar bit of adware on mum's computer, "highlighty". Search it and see if you have it.

#6 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:44 PM

Greetings all,

I would highly recommend the 'Spybot' program. It's free and receives updated definitions nearly every few days.

I run it every 2 days or so, sometimes every day. Finds most everything if not everything, and stomps it out before it gets any where. It will/can run as resident and actively watch what's happening during sessions. (if you set it to that) Stops these types of 'infections' before they even attempt to install.

- And if your only getting the ad's from one site, it's all on your end. Shouldn't need any reinstall as this program will nuke it.

9erRed

#7 Sean Grey

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:07 PM

Hi,

I had the same issue when trying to log on the website since the server migration. Getting a page advising me to change my DNS to googleDNS.

I've tried to flush my DNS and the browser cache/coockies (I'm using Firefox), without success. DNS change wasn't any better.

I've only been able to reach the website by directly going to the login page. after entering my login and password, Firefox popped up a warning, saying the certificate of the page is not properly authenticated. It also asked if I want to make an exception.

After making this exception, the website properly updated.

Hope it will work for you too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users