#201 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:35 PM

A class action against a company that doesn't exist anymore? Where the amount of money owed to secured creditors is more than they have as assets?

Sounds like a great way to make a lot of lawyers rich.

#202 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:57 PM

View PostHeffay, on 08 December 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

A class action against a company that doesn't exist anymore? Where the amount of money owed to secured creditors is more than they have as assets?

Sounds like a great way to make a lot of lawyers rich.

Thanks for your expert legal advice. Can I have your bar association number?

#203 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:43 AM

View PostSandpit, on 08 December 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

http://raymondchabot...-for-sale/26192

If I were a backer I'd seriously consider class action to get a return before everything is liquidated

A class action suit assumes the company has money to pay. With $12 million unresolved debt, the plaintiffs would be the very last people to be paid out of the liquidation. There is literally no money you could possibly get back. They don't have more than $12 million in office furniture and nobody is going to pay that for MWT.

Order of distributing the company's assets
[color=#555555]
There is a hierarchy that determines the order in which a company's assets must be distributed in a liquidation. This is strictly enforced by the Courts. Any secured creditors have the first right to the assets and are usually paid out before there is a distribution. After this is paid out, any remaining debts are paid in the following order of priority:
[/color]
  • the costs, charges and expenses involved in the liquidation
  • all wages and salaries payable to employees, including holiday pay
  • unsecured creditors
  • any interest that is attached to any debt (but only if the debt became due before the liquidation process began)
  • any debt owed to shareholders of the company, such as dividends or profits

via

I learned this back in business 100.

Edited by S3dition, 09 December 2014 - 08:45 AM.

#204 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:21 AM

View PostS3dition, on 09 December 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

A class action suit assumes the company has money to pay. With $12 million unresolved debt, the plaintiffs would be the very last people to be paid out of the liquidation. There is literally no money you could possibly get back. They don't have more than $12 million in office furniture and nobody is going to pay that for MWT.

I learned this back in business 100.

You're failing to take into account the sense of satisfaction someone may get in suing IGP though. I mean sure, they'll spend tens of thousands of dollars bringing up a class action suit against a company that no longer exists, but it'll FEEL really good when they get a summary judgment in their favor for $0.00. Or worst case scenario, they'll cost this non-existent company thousands of dollars in legal fees to get the lawsuit dismissed, which is REALLY STICKING IT TO THEM!

And you can't put a price tag on feeling satisfied. It's a moral victory. That's priceless!

#205 spectralthundr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 704 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:33 AM

View PostSandpit, on 08 December 2014 - 08:57 PM, said:

Thanks for your expert legal advice. Can I have your bar association number?

You say that as though he's not right anyway. And really, most lawyers seem to have enough to get by these days.

#206 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:48 AM

View Postspectralthundr, on 09 December 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

You say that as though he's not right anyway. And really, most lawyers seem to have enough to get by these days.

No i say that as someone offering legal advice. He and sed both have no idea how the bankruptcy law in Canada work. Hence why i said i would look into it as opposed to you can sue them

#207 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:12 PM

View PostHeffay, on 09 December 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

You're failing to take into account the sense of satisfaction someone may get in suing IGP though. I mean sure, they'll spend tens of thousands of dollars bringing up a class action suit against a company that no longer exists, but it'll FEEL really good when they get a summary judgment in their favor for $0.00. Or worst case scenario, they'll cost this non-existent company thousands of dollars in legal fees to get the lawsuit dismissed, which is REALLY STICKING IT TO THEM!

And you can't put a price tag on feeling satisfied. It's a moral victory. That's priceless!

Worst case scenario is they spend thousands of dollars and the case gets dismissed.

#208 TheRealTommo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 145 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:19 AM

Gutted about this I feel like an idiot!

#209 uebersoldat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:28 PM

Yep, I'm pretty sad. I don't care about the $20 or so I put into it. I just want more Battletech games to choose from :(

#210 Iothil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMan-at-Arms' couch...

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:22 AM

View Postuebersoldat, on 16 December 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

Yep, I'm pretty sad. I don't care about the $20 or so I put into it. I just want more Battletech games to choose from :(

I know what you mean. I waited for ages for MWO to come out, I must have played mechwarrior 4 a hundred times over :/

#211 Raggedyman

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

View PostSandpit, on 08 December 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

http://raymondchabot...-for-sale/26192

If I were a backer I'd seriously consider class action to get a return before everything is liquidated

I've got $100 doing nothing, do you think they would take that for the game?

#212 Colonel Fubar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 650 posts
  • LocationPlanet Agoge in the Mitera System

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:31 PM

Its DOA!

#213 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:41 PM

I'm saddened about the fate of MWT, what other game would allow me to see a Jenner with a CT-mounted AC/2 leaping into combat on jumpjets?

But truth be told... MWT felt lacking -- if only because it was Megamek (a digital BT) with only mechs and tiny maps with an F2P money making scheme.

I'd love a more crowd-funded Megamek-style game with 3D assets. With everything, not just the mechs.

#214 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:31 PM

View PostKoniving, on 23 December 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

I'm saddened about the fate of MWT, what other game would allow me to see a Jenner with a CT-mounted AC/2 leaping into combat on jumpjets?

But truth be told... MWT felt lacking -- if only because it was Megamek (a digital BT) with only mechs and tiny maps with an F2P money making scheme.

I'd love a more crowd-funded Megamek-style game with 3D assets. With everything, not just the mechs.

Dang Koniving! Just this morning I was lamenting to myself the current fate of MWT, and thought, "You know what would be TRULY awesome, would be a game that blended MegaMek and MWT. Yeah, I really, really, really want that".

Then here you are making almost that exact same point here on the forums.

Brain-Wave High-Five! B)

*Edited because "MegMek" is not a thing, nor hopefully will it ever be. ;)

Edited by Rip Snorgan, 23 December 2014 - 06:33 PM.

#215 xMEPHISTOx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:36 PM

So happy to not have paid any money into it. Got my beta invite by simply asking for it on their FB page. Good thing. Anyhow, miss it...was fun to play in between mwo matches.

RIP MWT

Posted Image

Edited by xMEPHISTOx, 27 December 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#216 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:11 AM

View PostKoniving, on 23 December 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

You could put in a bid for MWT. It's being sold on an auction site.

From there, do whatever you want with the game.

#217 CthePrez

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationTaichung, Taiwan

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:26 AM

I find it funny that "1. The game may be inspected on request."

Part of me wants to try to manipulate that to be able to get a copy of the entire source.

#218 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 28 December 2014 - 04:21 AM

I am saddened. I just looked up earlier today for Mechwarrior tactics and it was gone...

I got into the beta by stealing my friends account (here I am, nearly devoted 10 years of my life to BT as if there was like no other game on earth. I got no beta. my friend who played less then 5 hours off MW4 mercs and he got the beta ;~; )

I really wanted to play this game even though I couldn't get into the looks of the mechs...

Edit: just researched about it a bit more. it's quite sad. especially the fact IGP still let people buy the packs for the game like a half year after it's down...

Edited by Nightshade24, 28 December 2014 - 05:31 AM.

#219 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:28 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 28 December 2014 - 01:11 AM, said:

You could put in a bid for MWT. It's being sold on an auction site.

From there, do whatever you want with the game.

That's an auction for the game's resources... Even if you have it, you cannot actually produce "Mechwarrior Tactics" or anything along the "Mechwarrior line" without either Microsoft or PGI's permission.

I can make 3D models on my own. Which saves me loads of money. But getting permission to make something competing with MWO? Heh...heh...hahahaha..

PGI: "Lol, nope."

IGP had leverage. "We'll help you pay for the rights, if we can use them too."

I haven't got anything but a dream.

Using said resources, you could produce, say... a Sunrider-esque game in 3D. (You can find Sunrider for free on Steam)
Hexagonal game board, LRM, pulse lasers, nukes, small and heavy ballistics.

You could produce just about anything, but to use Battletech or Mechwarrior, you're kinda screwed out of that.
Best you can hope for is "Mechwarrior inspired."

#220 stratagos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 457 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:44 AM

Actually it looks like you get not only the assets but the license as well.

I don't know if there is some kind of clawback provision that would allow PGI to yank it back, but in theory there isn't any reason you couldn't put it up.

Except it would never be profitable

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users