A Toggle To Raise/lower Arms On Mechs With Upper And Lower Actuators

6 replies to this topic

#1 Kitane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

I believe that mechs equipped with fully articulated arms shouldn't be penalized by having to expose large parts of their mechs just to clear the ground or another obstacle for their low slung arm mounted weapons.They should be able to raise their arms forward to shoulder level on demand and fire over obstacles.

What about a toggle that moves arms between two positions?

First would be the current position with weapons placed low and a shield arm effect protecting both side torsos.

The second would be a raised position with arms raised forward (like a zombie :P). A mech would be better at hillhumping, but his side torsos would be more exposed to flanking fire.

A mech would require both lower and upper actuators to be able to use this function.

#2 Hamm3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 221 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

That would make sense! Why have the actuators taking up space if you cant use them!

#3 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:34 AM

Although mechs can be slow when it comes to straight out speed, I've always had the impression that even the assault class mechs were quite dexterous. Being able to duck, dodge, point their arms etc....

This would be a nice first step towards being the 1st Mech Warrior game to emulate this. :D

#4 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

Absolutly like this idea. I am always having to over expose in several mechs, of having to be careful of close/crowding friendlies (Especially in the Atlas).

+1 Good Idea!

... Maybe even have a third option for some mechs, like the Centurian, to be able to block on comming fire with it's sheild arm.

Edited by Freebrth, 01 September 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#5 Paleface Voodoo Jedi Ninja Magic

Rookie

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:57 AM

We could also add a little fun with mech that have hands being able to punch.
All out of weapons and ammo?... Time to knock their block off with some ROCK'EM SOCK'EM!

Now you can go down swinging if your have no weapons or out of ammo.
It is friedly to ages 6+.

Posted Image

#6 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:31 AM

A great buff towards something normally considered a con. Now a variant that can't carry an AC20 or 2xUAC5 in arms can still be applicable. Brilliant!

#7 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:02 PM

I proposed this back in closed beta. They basically could tie it to the arm lock button.

I kind of doubt pgi has the skills to implement the arm raising animation though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users