26 replies to this topic

#1 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:18 AM

The Problem:
We all know that modules are supposed to be end game content; something to grind towards once you have the mechs you want. That's why they have high GXP and sbill costs. I have several problems with the current system.

First, there will always be more mechs to buy. No matter how many I get I still feel like there are others that I want to try, and more coming out every month. I know that some players have them all (or at least all the ones they want), but I don't have a lot of time to play, so not much income.

Second, at 3,000,000 to 6,000,000 cbills each, I usually find I want a new mech instead of a module. I find that cbills are the bottleneck for me. I have unlocked more modules than I have bought because of the cbill cost. The problem is that there are several modules that are almost necessary to have. Sure you can do fine without them, but they are so good that not taking them is almost a handicap. I'm not here to talk about balance (there's plenty on that already).

Third, because of the high cost I don't own more than one of any given module. This means that when I want to switch mechs I have to strip the modules, and move them to the new mech. When I'm playing in a group it slows things down, and can be a pain if I forget which mech had which module.

The Solution:
I'd like to see the GXP and cbill cost that we have now as the initial unlock cost of a module. When you pay the cost, you don't get an actual module, you just get access. Think of it as giving your techs the resources to research it, or something like that. Once you unlock it, then the module can be equipped on any mech for a smaller cost (I'm thinking 250,000 or so for the expensive ones). Keep it as a piece of equipemnt that can be swapped around, but this way one can have their go to mechs already equipped with the necessary modules for a reasonable cost.

I think that this would feel like more of a reward for your grinding. After fighting, and playing for so long, you can now give a great ablilty all of your mechs, instead of needing another 30-60 games to equip the next mech.

Thoughts?

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:27 AM

I think pretty much everybody who's not PGI would love something like this.

#3 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

I like the idea and agree with you. $250k may be a little low, I'd say make it 10% of the original unlock amount, so modules would max out at about $600k. Unfortunately I don't think this will ever happen because I think PGI's model uses modules as the currency sink, forcing to use your "free" currency on these, leaving you broke so you HAVE to spend cash on new mechs.

#4 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:02 AM

Due to current prices I only own one of any given module and swap between my 30+ mechs.

If they were more in the 500k to one million range, like upgrades, then I would likely buy a set for any mech I play regularly.

This is simple math for PGI, they need to review their strategy.

#5 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:06 AM

Actually there is a solution provided by PGI.

C-Bill packs you can buy with MCs

Having said that, do not think your idea will ever move forward but let's keep the hope alive.

#6 Sprouticus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:08 AM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 01 September 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

The Problem:
We all know that modules are supposed to be end game content; something to grind towards once you have the mechs you want. That's why they have high GXP and sbill costs. I have several problems with the current system.

First, there will always be more mechs to buy. No matter how many I get I still feel like there are others that I want to try, and more coming out every month. I know that some players have them all (or at least all the ones they want), but I don't have a lot of time to play, so not much income.

Second, at 3,000,000 to 6,000,000 cbills each, I usually find I want a new mech instead of a module. I find that cbills are the bottleneck for me. I have unlocked more modules than I have bought because of the cbill cost. The problem is that there are several modules that are almost necessary to have. Sure you can do fine without them, but they are so good that not taking them is almost a handicap. I'm not here to talk about balance (there's plenty on that already).

Third, because of the high cost I don't own more than one of any given module. This means that when I want to switch mechs I have to strip the modules, and move them to the new mech. When I'm playing in a group it slows things down, and can be a pain if I forget which mech had which module.

The Solution:
I'd like to see the GXP and cbill cost that we have now as the initial unlock cost of a module. When you pay the cost, you don't get an actual module, you just get access. Think of it as giving your techs the resources to research it, or something like that. Once you unlock it, then the module can be equipped on any mech for a smaller cost (I'm thinking 250,000 or so for the expensive ones). Keep it as a piece of equipemnt that can be swapped around, but this way one can have their go to mechs already equipped with the necessary modules for a reasonable cost.

I think that this would feel like more of a reward for your grinding. After fighting, and playing for so long, you can now give a great ablilty all of your mechs, instead of needing another 30-60 games to equip the next mech.

Thoughts?

I have literally been suggesting this since modules came out. It is just so darn stupid to have to shuffle modules around like this. I don't mind a relatively small cost, maybe 250k/ But 2-6 million per is just silly.

#7 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:09 AM

A better solution is just to allow players to buy modules with MC. And then implement a way for players to give MC to other players. Also implement a way to find and swap modules more easily.

1) it generates income for PGI
2) it creates an easy way to get modules than doesnt involve grinding
3) free players can bum MC off paid players to avoid grinding.

Any solution that doesnt earn PGI money isnt really a solution. Because theyve gotta pay the bills.

Edited by Khobai, 02 September 2014 - 09:04 AM.

#8 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:17 AM

I barely use modules. I have 1 advanced zoom and 1 seismic sensor, on a Stalker and my Ilya respectively. Of course I'm not playing competitively, but it's the c-bill cost that has prevented me buying them. At this point in time I have no reason to believe I'll ever buy another one.

#9 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

Just about everyone in the community wants changes like this. So you might as well forget it.
+1 for the suggestion though. I like it.

#10 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:50 AM

I have 3 or 4 modules that I installed on various mechs, but I can't be bothered moving them around (takes too long) and I seem to do just fine without them on the remaining mechs so I won't bother to buy any others because the cost is ruinous.

Homeless Bill had a very well thought out appeal to re-think this, but it goes unacknowledged and unnoticed by PGI.

http://mwomercs.com/...47#entry3607847

#11 StandingInFire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:03 AM

Yup I have only bought 2 modules, last week with the 6.5 CBill bonus from 50 wins, am probably only gonna module out my clan pack money grind mech.

They really need to be cheaper for me to buy them for more than 1 mech at a time.

#12 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:06 AM

View PostFlipOver, on 02 September 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

Actually there is a solution provided by PGI.

C-Bill packs you can buy with MCs

Having said that, do not think your idea will ever move forward but let's keep the hope alive.

If users are not purchasing modules for each mech due to cost, that means the cost is too high.

The solution isn't offering CBill packs for MCs, I have banked 30+ million CBills.

The problem is that I don't want to waste 6 million CBills per mech for a seismic or radar dep module.

So I don't buy them.

The convenience of having them slotted is being outweighed by the cost.

They need to refine that balance, so the cost becomes palatable.

As I stated, I own ONE Seismic that cost me 6 million. I swap it around.

If they cost ONE MILLION each, I would buy 12+ copies and eventually one for each mech (30+).

This is not hard math, to figure out which is the larger cbill sink in a game that has its main revenue source as acquiring mechs.

#13 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

Like all F2P models. You want something, play to generate sufficient income or drop some RL cash. Hell for a new player, seeing as we want stuff Cheap, some of the more advanced weapons are 800K+ each... can we get FREE weapons too. ;)

#14 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:19 AM

I think 1 million is about the limit of what a weapon/engine/module/upgrade should cost. After that it starts to seem really horrible The prime example being double heat sinks which is 1.5 million and seems horrible, compared to Endo which is up to 1 million but doesn't seem that bad.

#15 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:16 PM

View Postterrycloth, on 02 September 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

I think 1 million is about the limit of what a weapon/engine/module/upgrade should cost. After that it starts to seem really horrible The prime example being double heat sinks which is 1.5 million and seems horrible, compared to Endo which is up to 1 million but doesn't seem that bad.

when a small module like that costs more than the mech it is being placed on, something is wrong

#16 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 02 September 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

If users are not purchasing modules for each mech due to cost, that means the cost is too high.
[SNIP]

Just bought 3 new modules a few days ago...

But sure, people aren't buying them.

#17 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

View PostFlipOver, on 02 September 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

[/size]
Just bought 3 new modules a few days ago...

But sure, people aren't buying them.

I didn't buy any, but sure, since you did that means everyone else is

#18 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostSandpit, on 02 September 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:

I didn't buy any, but sure, since you did that means everyone else is

Sand you may have ADD.
Read again why I said what I said... better yet... I'll do a simple quote...

Was answering to "If users are not purchasing modules for each mech due to cost, that means the cost is too high." and could very well have said: "Sure, if someone doesn't buy them, that means everyone else isn't buying them"

#19 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:57 PM

View PostFlipOver, on 02 September 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

Sand you may have ADD.
Read again why I said what I said... better yet... I'll do a simple quote...

Was answering to "If users are not purchasing modules for each mech due to cost, that means the cost is too high." and could very well have said: "Sure, if someone doesn't buy them, that means everyone else isn't buying them"

and I just as easily reversed what you said. Now if the statement had been "NOBODY is buying them, that'd be different"

you tried to dismiss the statement you quoted, I just showed how your statement can easily be reversed to insinuate the same thing.

#20 Ph30nix

• 2,442 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:00 PM

modules are affordable to be endgame for one mech, not for every mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users