Is Anyone Else A Little Discontent With Cbill Rewards?

71 replies to this topic

#41 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:53 AM

I guess it depends on what you are playing the game for.

It's not PokeMech. You do not have to grind them all.

I have played the game for the majority of 3 years in an Atlas. I am now in my second of 3 Battlemasters.

My Davion Alt has a Jager40(mastererd) and a Stalker(Elite), a Centurion(Basic) and a Spider(grinding)

My Kurita Alt has a Catapult(elite) and a Shadowhawk(basic).

#42 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:26 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 02 September 2014 - 02:53 AM, said:

It's not PokeMech. You do not have to grind them all.

It used to be, was more fun when it was imo.

the income is now a fraction of what it was (compared to what it was when I had repair and rearm off) and there are some massive cbill sinks, consumables, very expensive mech modules. even with premium time it takes ages. At least there are a lot of sales now, so that's a good thing I guess.

unfortunately, most mechs are now pretty much useless, especially compared to the clan mechs. I've maxed out one or more on commando, spider, jenner, firestarter, raven, cicada, blackjack, hunchback, trebuchet, shadowhawk, griffin, catapult, jager, cataphract, awesome, stalker, highlander and atlas.
I guess the firestarter, griffin and highlander are the only ones that are doing reasonable, still crap compared to timberwolves, stormcrows and direwolves though.

I'm working on the nova now, massive upfront cost, but at least you can sell 2 of them without any consequence, makes me burn more cbills and less mc (spent 90% of my mc on mechbays). I understand pgi is focussing on whales who buy $240 clan packs and burn lots of mc always running premium time, but I think they could safely up the cbill income a bit, there's enough sinks.

#43 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:31 AM

It's Never been. At least not for me.

Part of it is The majority of Mechs in this game, are the crap builds from TT. Here some of them surprised me, but for the most part, all performed according to the prophecy.

#44 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:33 AM

View PostKilo 40, on 02 September 2014 - 02:35 AM, said:

what a little discontent looks like

Posted Image

/maybe some more c-bill earning achievements are in order

Somebody's been camping on Alpine Peaks in the valley of death I see.

#45 Chemie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:33 AM

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 01 September 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

What is with this absolutely pathetic CBill gains?
I guess I didnt notice until recently, now that I'm saving up for my last Banshee.

This is agony. Why is this such a grind? Its even worse than it used to be.
Isn't it about time for a small boost in CBill gains? Especially since we have CBill Clan variants coming out every month?

You think 3 months to get a single chasis (three identical clan timberwolfs) is excessive? 2 years to get the current 6 clan mechs (all in 3 for master)? That is not grind?

Pay to play people.

#46 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:16 AM

It's a F2P game folks... The grind is inevitable.

Could it be lessened to be more new-player tolerable?... Sure. Problem is for most new players who've tried other F2P offerings, we don't have a kiddie pool sand box where new players can pound on one-legged Locusts to pad our coffers...

And that's the problem with MW:O... There is no easy / learning mode.

Now in fairness... in other F2P offerings, there's a pay-wall... You can eviscerate all the one-legged Locust all you want but if you want access to anything other than Mordor and a sLas... you have to pay.

In MW:O everyone has access to all content (discounting the MC release schedules)... Player has two choices: a.) grind or b.) pay... It's that simple.

Sorry... I have little empathy for c-bill envy when in context, I'd much rather have what we have than the alternative.

Actually... Sometimes I do wish new players had to beat one-legged Locusts before they were allowed on the battlefield... but I digress. :rolleyes:

Edited by DaZur, 02 September 2014 - 04:17 AM.

#47 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:17 AM

Winter is coming.

#48 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:41 AM

By the time I grind enough Cbills for the mech I want, I get tired of the same boring matchs and have to switch games for a few weeks!

I just grinded for my Radar Derp but stopped playing do to boredom.

#49 Ph30nix

• 2,442 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:01 AM

PGI has a crappy cash earning methodology, they are sadly trying for a smaller number of high cost items ($20-$30 per mech)
instead of trying for a volume of cheaper items.
Which i will say we dont have the full numbers of total player base and such but i will always say that cheaper prices would earn them far more in the long run.

But higher Cbill earnings wouldn't hurt their Cash in fact it would help because those people who will NEVER spend cash on a mech will still need to buy mechbays.

#50 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:02 AM

Discontent with C-Bill rewards? No.
Just about everything else? Yes.

#51 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

Sorry, but I do not believe that there is anyone here who earns twice as much as Voidcrafter. I've played with Voidcrafter on occasion, so his number looks reasonable for someone who is really good.

300k/match? 400k/match? That's the glue sniffing talking. You're only remembering the good matches and not any of the losses.

PGI says that the average earnings per match - not counting any bonuses - is 79k. With Premium time and a Hero Mech that turns into 142k.

The problem with stats like this is that PGI doesn't report them properly. They report your total earnings per match. That they should report is your base earnings per match so that they'd be comparable. (In an ideal world they'd also report your Premium earnings and Hero earnings separately, too.) Otherwise you get people running Premium time and a Hero Mech comparing their earnings with people with no bonuses, so of course the numbers don't make sense.

If you're not running any bonuses, the economy in this game is complete crap. If you're just running a Hero mech (or, in my case, an Invasion Mech), the economy is barely tolerable. It's very slow and very grindy, but it's just barely tolerable. If you're running just Premium time, the economy is okay. Not great, but not too horrible either.

For the economy to really be acceptable, you have to run both Premium AND a Hero. In other words, PGI isn't happy unless you're paying them twice in order to play the game.

Edited by Roadkill, 02 September 2014 - 07:05 AM.

#52 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:34 AM

I've found there are mechs I simply cannot play and expect to make a reasonable amount for C-bills from. I stopped playing my Jester, a "Hero" mech, because I struggle to make over 100k a match, even with premium time. So much for 30% boost.

I have similar problems with my Boar's head, Huginn and Oxide, but at least the Huginn is fun to pilot. I'm an idiot for buying them, even on 50% sale. The only hero mech I make money from is the Ilya. It's solid and can perform. I think my Heavy ELO is actually screwed because of the numbers of kills I've gotten with a dual gauss Ilya.

Amusingly, the only other mechs I can get decent income from are my Jenners and Kitfoxes. I can get around 130-160k without premium time in a good game. (195-240 with premium) I think C-bill income from loses shouldn't be as low as they are.

Edited by Greenjulius, 02 September 2014 - 07:35 AM.

#53 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

While I'd like to make more money, this is actually one area where PGI is legitimately within the realm of acceptable game design.

It's actually ok to make the game grindy, if you aren't paying money. That's an acceptable mechanism for implementing a F2P game.

This is much better than clearly P2W things like requiring you to pay money to drive certain mechs.

#54 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:34 AM

I just recently realized I very rarely play this game unless I have premium time. After the free week ended I've barely played at all.

#55 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:34 AM

We us to earn a lot less back in closed and open beta. Quite Frankly, I'm thrilled with how much we can earn now.

#56 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:44 AM

View PostStingray1234, on 02 September 2014 - 09:34 AM, said:

We us to earn a lot less back in closed and open beta. Quite Frankly, I'm thrilled with how much we can earn now.

I earned more under R&R than I do now. However, that was with Premium Time running.

#57 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

View PostStingray1234, on 02 September 2014 - 09:34 AM, said:

Err.. no, this is not true.
We earned FAR more money back in closed and open beta. Like, way, way, way more.

#58 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 02 September 2014 - 04:41 AM, said:

By the time I grind enough Cbills for the mech I want, I get tired of the same boring matchs and have to switch games for a few weeks!

I just grinded for my Radar Derp but stopped playing do to boredom.

I feel your pain. At least you can swap that module between mechs or man or man it would be bad.

#59 Xyroc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 855 posts
  • LocationFighting the Clan Invasion

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:01 AM

no we make plenty of Cbills per match ... in fact more than we should if this was real IMO.

#60 Shismar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:13 AM

Welcome to the grind. And it is not fun and the main reason I do not play more. Certainly one major reason why I don't buy more MC or hero mechs. The money grab is too distasteful.

Modules? Not for me. XL Engines really really rarely and just one to swap around. Add that to the horrible mechlab and it takes out all the fun of pimping your mech.

But optimal pricing policy is a lost cause on PGI. MC or CBill, they don't get it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users