Solo Queue: Generally, Pretty Fun

6 replies to this topic

#1 DodgerH2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:01 PM

Been playing one match or so every few patches for the better part of the year, and came back for the free mechbay and Unit Affiliation stuff.

I've had some of the best matches ever in Solo queue. Even when I lose I feel like it was a good match, either we were blatantly outmaneuvered or it was 9-12 or better. I know this will be buried in the subforum but I want to put out a little bit of positivity. Maybe I'm in ELO Heaven but this has been consistent among all weights (except Heavies, which are hit and miss).

Not everything is great, but the matches have been closer than I've ever experienced at least 75% of the time. It's a nice feeling.

Hopefully at least a few of you out there have had a similar experience.

#2 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostDodgerH2O, on 01 September 2014 - 04:01 PM, said:

Been playing one match or so every few patches for the better part of the year, and came back for the free mechbay and Unit Affiliation stuff.

I've had some of the best matches ever in Solo queue. Even when I lose I feel like it was a good match, either we were blatantly outmaneuvered or it was 9-12 or better. I know this will be buried in the subforum but I want to put out a little bit of positivity. Maybe I'm in ELO Heaven but this has been consistent among all weights (except Heavies, which are hit and miss).

Not everything is great, but the matches have been closer than I've ever experienced at least 75% of the time. It's a nice feeling.

Hopefully at least a few of you out there have had a similar experience.

I have frequently had this feeling. Rarely do I actually lose badly, and most are generally fun games

#3 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

Solo queue generally results in better balanced games than group queue, in my experience. Group queue is heavily dependent on which side has more people in the same party. Not that the larger group always wins, but it does factor in.

#4 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:31 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 01 September 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

Solo queue generally results in better balanced games than group queue, in my experience. Group queue is heavily dependent on which side has more people in the same party. Not that the larger group always wins, but it does factor in.

There's been far fewer stomps (winning or losing) for me since they removed premade groups from the solo queue.

#5 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:09 PM

95% pugger here, the other 5% is a duo with my brother.

Gotta say I have noticed the difference now that a duo is placed in the group queue. The quality of players is the same it's just who has the bigger premade that often decides it. Usually a bigger premade > smaller groups of 2-4.

But that doesn't mean that the bigger premade is often better. Many a time I've seen really bad plays from some of the units and no, most are definitely not better at shooting than some I see in pugland.

Overall the matches are harder in the group queue simply because you're more likely to meet a bigger premade or one that's on voice comms.

Oh and arty spam - heaps more arty spam in the group queue.

#6 Adiuvo

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:51 PM

Depending on the time I'm playing solo queue can be a bit of fun. Frustrating on occasion, but fun overall.

Once VOIP is added in I'll definitely be playing it a lot more.

#7 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:05 PM

Solo Queue is entertaining, but doesn't feel particularly fulfilling for me, because it seems I have very little impact on the match outcome. I can try really hard for several matches, do fairly well, but lose several matches in a row. Then I just get frustrated, and derp my way straight to an early death, and watch as my team goes on to win the match without me.

Oftentimes I know within the first minute of the team's movement whether we'll win or not. And it feels like there isn't much I can do about it to change the outcome. I'm just not good enough of a player to sway the outcome of a match. The games where my team wins, I could probably be AFK and they'd still win. And the games where I fight my heart out, doesn't matter, we're still going to lose.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users