Freeze Account For Vacation?

30 replies to this topic

#21 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:15 PM

Wait...what's a vacation? :mellow:

#22 Xyroc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 855 posts
  • LocationFighting the Clan Invasion

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:51 PM

View PostRussianWolf, on 02 September 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

considering I have about $1000 worth of meat in my Freezer..... damn straight the electric stays on.

dont mind me going into that deep freeze while your sleeping......

#23 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:17 PM

Perhaps someone can point me to another game where you can pause and restart premium time at a whim?

I have yet to see how/where that is done.

#24 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 02 September 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

Perhaps someone can point me to another game where you can pause and restart premium time at a whim?

perhaps you can point me to another game that has developed 10 maps after 3 years

point being, "other games do/don't do it" is not a valid argument regardless of the content. How many times has it been said "well this game does it" only to be bombarded with "that's other games, it doesn't mean PGI should do it"

I can personally attest to 2 other games that don't have a stop function but they sure as heck stop premium time for people who buy large chunks at a time if there's an extended time away needed. it's called customer service.

#25 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

View PostSandpit, on 02 September 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

perhaps you can point me to another game that has developed 10 maps after 3 years

point being, "other games do/don't do it" is not a valid argument regardless of the content. How many times has it been said "well this game does it" only to be bombarded with "that's other games, it doesn't mean PGI should do it"

I can personally attest to 2 other games that don't have a stop function but they sure as heck stop premium time for people who buy large chunks at a time if there's an extended time away needed. it's called customer service.

"Other games do not do it" is NOT the argument. The argument is "WHY the other games do not do it."

(It costs them more potential profit to have time you can just start and stop when you are using it or not. 24 hours can stretch for days with a casual gamer.)

#26 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

So did you email support? Any luck?

#27 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

I don't have any example on hand, but there are games that do it. To lower that sort of "abuse" they tend to limit the frequency, somethink like once a month or so, and usually have a minimum time when you don't have access to your account, like a full 24 hours.

Allowing the players to conserve some premium time isn't really a big loss. If they don't feel like they're getting their money's wroth out of it, they aren't that likely to buy more premium time. To say "No, you can't pause it for a week." is short sighted and foolish.

#28 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 02 September 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

"Other games do not do it" is NOT the argument. The argument is "WHY the other games do not do it."

(It costs them more potential profit to have time you can just start and stop when you are using it or not. 24 hours can stretch for days with a casual gamer.)

Which is why I've always been opposed to a start/stop button used any time a player wants.

A casual player who only plays a few hours per week could easily buy a few months of premium time and stretch that out for a year or more.

I'm also a proponent of having a start/stop button that can be used once or twice per month so those players with legitimate issues don't waste their premium time. This is a video game, it's a luxury and takes a backseat to real world issues. Instead of having to deal with emailing support, waiting for a response (while your premium time is ticking away mind you), and dealing with emergency or unexpected issues is not ideal customer service.

As long as the stop button was limited in the number of uses per month it prevents it from being exploited or abused.

#29 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:43 PM

I would actually use a lot more premium time, if I could activate it in chunks other than "all of it".

#30 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:32 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 02 September 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

View PostFDJustin, on 02 September 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

I don't have any example on hand, but there are games that do it. To lower that sort of "abuse" they tend to limit the frequency, somethink like once a month or so, and usually have a minimum time when you don't have access to your account, like a full 24 hours.

FDJustin, Livewyr's call was for one or more specific examples of games that allow one to pause their premium time (or equivalent function); saying that there are games that do this but not listing specific examples is the antithesis of what is needed to answer the question.

Now, we know that WOT does not let one pause premium time, likely for many of the same reasons that MWO wouldn't.
Evidently, War Thunder also does not let one pause premium time, again likely for the same reasons.

Likewise, XBox Live doesn't allow one to pause/freeze the Gold Membership & even Spotify also doesn't let one simply pause their subscription.

So, again, which specific games (or even game-related services) allow one to pause their premium time (or analogous component/service)? :huh:

#31 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 02 September 2014 - 06:32 PM, said:

FDJustin, Livewyr's call was for one or more specific examples of games that allow one to pause their premium time (or equivalent function); saying that there are games that do this but not listing specific examples is the antithesis of what is needed to answer the question.

Now, we know that WOT does not let one pause premium time, likely for many of the same reasons that MWO wouldn't.
Evidently, War Thunder also does not let one pause premium time, again likely for the same reasons.

Likewise, XBox Live doesn't allow one to pause/freeze the Gold Membership & even Spotify also doesn't let one simply pause their subscription.

So, again, which specific games (or even game-related services) allow one to pause their premium time (or analogous component/service)? :huh:

Probably none because that wrecks with the pricing mechanisms. Premium time would have to be much more expensive or work in a completely different way. Think "Premium matches"? Buy 100 premium matches? 200? 300? Etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users