Careful With The Nerfs Pgi

265 replies to this topic

#1 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

I just saw the preview for the Sept 5th patch and noticed the Clan weapon balance changes.

All I got to say is careful PGI.

Right now, aside from the C-ER ML, all clan weapons are generally inferior to IS weapons with the exception being in the category of range so the re-balancing needs to be addressing things like reductions in ranges and/or bring damage into line with the reduce ranges rather than massive burn times and huge heat increases.

Also the C-ER ML being the only weapon generally good is a staple of most clan builds and adding 20% heat to them as in that leaked info we saw last week is going to totally break alot of builds and in some cases like the Nova, break the mech.

So before you go all crazy and start adding lots of heat or making super sweeping changes that totally screw with mechs people have spend weeks or now months perfecting build and spent hundreds of dollars on, really think strongly about the success (or failure) of this game.

I know for one, that I am thoroughly sick of all the nerfs and am about at the limit of tolerance for them, especially after the JJ nerf no one wanted or asked for, which was also a nerf to a system that had been steady for over 2 years that totally broke 60% of my mechs (including over $60 worth of hero mechs). I also know alot of other people are about there as well so all I am asking here is please don't mess things up even more yet again.

#2 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 02 September 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

I just saw the preview for the Sept 5th patch and noticed the Clan weapon balance changes.

All I got to say is careful PGI.

Right now, aside from the C-ER ML, all clan weapons are generally inferior to IS weapons with the exception being in the category of range so the re-balancing needs to be addressing things like reductions in ranges and/or bring damage into line with the reduce ranges rather than massive burn times and huge heat increases.

Clan Gauss is bad how? And Clan SRMs that weigh half as much are worse weapons? The fact that they have Streak 4 and 6 SRMs is inferior? Or the half-weight LRM launchers.. those are bad how? Pulse lasers with double the range of IS pulse lasers are bad?

Dude, Clan Autocannons are inferior to IS autocannons (except for LBX, because Clan LBX are superior - they weigh less with better range). Everything else is either better, good-as, or the lightness/crit space makes up for their deficiencies. Remember... weight and crits = balancing factors, too. Clan Gauss is lighter and smaller than IS, but otherwise the same. That makes it flat-out better.

View PostCarrie Harder, on 02 September 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

SRM4, SRM6, Gauss, ERPPC.

Oh, you're right, I forgot to mention the CERPPCs, which are flat-out better than IS ERPPCs. The Clan versions weigh less, are smaller, deal 50% more total damage, and have the same range and produce the same heat. If you say Clan ERPPCs are inferior to IS ERPPCs... then you've made your point, and It's not a sharp one.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 02 September 2014 - 04:44 PM.

#3 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCarrying pugs up Mount Tryhard

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

...Right now, aside from the C-ER ML, all clan weapons are generally inferior to IS weapons with the exception being in the category of range...

SRM4, SRM6, Gauss, ERPPC.

Other than that, though, the Clan weapons certainly are meh in many cases. In particular, I have utterly no idea why Pulse Lasers of all things are getting nerfed. :\

Unfortunately, PGI seems to be making their nerfs with the intention of bringing down the 2-3 best Clan mechs (Mad Cat, Ryoken, maybe like 2-3 Daishi builds) down to the level of mediocre IS mechs. But the problem is that by the time they make the Mad Cat equal to the Quickdraw or Thunderbolt, the sub-par Clan mechs like the Thor and Puma will be nearly unusable. They should've just used quirks or whatever to specifically target the outlier chassis, but instead they're electing to nerfhammer all of them, including the innocent ones.

Edited by Carrie Harder, 02 September 2014 - 04:40 PM.

#4 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

lol
careful with the nerf hammer....

good one!

oh wait, you were serious....

well if history is any indication, be prepared to have some very harsh nerf hammers tossed around.

#5 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PostSandpit, on 02 September 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

lol

good one!

well if history is any indication, be prepared to have some very harsh nerf hammers tossed around.

Posted Image

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

Also the C-ER ML being the only weapon generally good is a staple of most clan builds and adding 20% heat to them as in that leaked info we saw last week is going to totally break alot of builds and in some cases like the Nova, break the mech.

Not if PGI adds Nova quirk similar to what the Awesome received. Voila!

I am actually looking forward to the nerfs so I won't feel dirty piloting the Direwhale, come September.

Edited by El Bandito, 02 September 2014 - 04:58 PM.

#7 Mcgral18

• CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

Think of the Cute Foxes, the Badders, the Suckoners and Peace Doves. The Nope-va is going to suffer even more heat, with nerfed heatsinks that are not intended to go against 3 times their non nerfed rating.

But will the 2 outliers be touched at all?

I know my WubFox is going to be hurt if it's the same changes as the test server.

#8 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:02 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 02 September 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

Think of the Cute Foxes, the Badders, the Suckoners and Peace Doves. The Nope-va is going to suffer even more heat, with nerfed heatsinks that are not intended to go against 3 times their non nerfed rating. But will the 2 outliers be touched at all? I know my WubFox is going to be hurt if it's the same changes as the test server.

My Warhawk will be buffed due to faster CD of Clan LRM 10/15/20 launchers. :P

Edited by El Bandito, 02 September 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#9 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:03 PM

Think of the Cute Foxes, the Badders, the Suckoners and Peace Doves. The Nope-va is going to suffer even more heat, with nerfed heatsinks that are not intended to go against 3 times their non nerfed rating.

But will the 2 outliers be touched at all?

I know my WubFox is going to be hurt if it's the same changes as the test server.

I like the "Nope-Va" modification you made to Bishop Steiner's nickname for the Nova (original was "No-Va," for those who don't get it. In Spanish it means "No go").

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 September 2014 - 05:02 PM, said:

My Warhawk will be buffed due to faster CD of Clan LRM 10/15/20 launchers. :P

Russ said that the Clan Lurm buffs were an error. Allegedly, it's actually supposed to be +0.25s cooldown (slightly slower RoF) tacked on to all of the launchers.

#10 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:04 PM

View PostCarrie Harder, on 02 September 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

Russ said that the Clan Lurm buffs were an error. Allegedly, it's actually supposed to be +0.25s cooldown (slightly slower RoF) tacked on to all of the launchers.

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 02 September 2014 - 05:07 PM.

#11 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:04 PM

Posted Image

#12 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostCarrie Harder, on 02 September 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 September 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

Posted Image

Sources:

https://twitter.com/...183671825862657

"Also this build does have the proper LRM cool down times but the UI will still show the 3.5 for each. It is actually 3.5, 4.0 ,4.5, 5.0"

Edited by Mcgral18, 02 September 2014 - 05:09 PM.

#13 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:09 PM

View PostSandpit, on 02 September 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

lol

good one!

Yeah I know, waste of time to post anything on these forums in regards to balance. PGI quit listening to its players a long, long time ago.

I logged in tonight and was having a ball with my Nova's, then while I was waiting for a match, I decided to check out the forums and saw the patch update news. As soon as I read that the Clan balancing was going in on the 5th, my stomach dropped and I lost all desire to play and decided to post.

Honestly, I know it is going to be bad. No matter what I or anyone says, C-ER MLs are going to go from good to totally broken and any build that depends on them is going to be crap. Same goes for the C-ER LL as well. They already got hit with a significant heat increase but they will go hotter still. Alway heat, heat, heat with PGI and I can't figure out why they can't figure out that it isn't fun either hiding behind a rock cooling or shutdown from overheating 50% of a match.

So yeah we are screwed yet again, dealing with nerfs that neither fix the issue at hand, nor make the game more fun, all in the pursuit of some balance that is never going to exist. So, so tired of it to be honest.

#14 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:36 PM

What I suspect will happen:
- Clan weapons will be nerfed all around.
- The stock Nova trial build will be 100% broken.
- Timberwolf (quite possibly the only Clan tech that actually NEEDS a nerf) won't be touched at all.

#15 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:40 PM

I personally call the Nova... the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-va, in honor of...

#16 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:43 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 02 September 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

Oh, you're right, I forgot to mention the CERPPCs, which are flat-out better than IS ERPPCs. The Clan versions weigh less, are smaller, deal 50% more total damage, and have the same range and produce the same heat. If you say Clan ERPPCs are inferior to IS ERPPCs... then you've made your point, and It's not a sharp one.

Sure, cER PPCs are better than IS ER PPCs. But they sure as hell aren't better than IS PPCs. ER PPCs are so slow that the extra range doesn't matter at all, and I will take a 10 heat 10 damage pinpoint weapon over a 15 heat splash damage weapon any day. It's sad, but if I could, I would swap out every cER PPC on my clan mechs for IS PPCs.

#17 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

View Postaniviron, on 02 September 2014 - 05:43 PM, said:

Sure, cER PPCs are better than IS ER PPCs. But they sure as hell aren't better than IS PPCs. ER PPCs are so slow that the extra range doesn't matter at all, and I will take a 10 heat 10 damage pinpoint weapon over a 15 heat splash damage weapon any day. It's sad, but if I could, I would swap out every cER PPC on my clan mechs for IS PPCs.

My own Clan lights wish they had access to Inner Sphere regular and ER Large Lasers. :\

#18 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

HA HA HA EVERYBODY SAW IT COMING!

To be honost, funny how you **** your 250$ pants Victor Drake xD
These C-UAC 10s and 20s are a massive gamebreaker and extreme o-powered,
everybody who regrets this is a masochist or a clanner.
And you shoud have read the customer agreement,
the money you payed dont give you any garantee,
but luckily i have the garantee that they do whats in their hands
to make this game as much enjoyable for the casual player as possible.
Like newbys, that also have a right to enjoy this game imho.

Edit:

Come on aniviron, who you try to kiddin?

Edited by shr84, 02 September 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#19 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:49 PM

View Postshr84, on 02 September 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

HA HA HA EVERYBODY SAW IT COMING!

To be honost, funny how you **** your 250$ pants Victor Drake xD
These C-UAC 10s and 20s are a massive gamebreaker and extreme o-powered,
everybody who regrets this is a masochist or a clanner.
And you shoud have read the customer agreement,
the money you payed dont give you any garantee,
but luckily i have the garantee that they do whats in their hands
to make this game as much enjoyable for the casual player as possible.
Like newbys, that also have a right to enjoy this game imho.

Of all the Clan weapons you could point the finger at, you choose the oversized DoT guns?

#20 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:49 PM

Guys, don't you remember the IS ERLL nerf on the PTS?

It's coming... for no reason unless you believe in "normalizing".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users