29 replies to this topic

#21 Vertigo 1

• PipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 88 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:08 PM

Are you using FRAPS? I noticed a weird thing happens for me when I do. It drops my framerate by like 20 frames if I activate the FRAPS framerate counter.

#22 RayBotiiC

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:10 PM

View PostBINDLETORC, on 05 September 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

Odd behavior you're seeing with the rig you have. As others have said, start with a monitoring tool that will identify heat and graphics issues (I always have MSI Afterburner running). Also, in your Nvidia control panel. in 3d settings, make sure you add the game and set it to let the 'application choose' for all presets until you can identify the specific problem.
If it is a new rig then I would certainly run a few benchmarks to see if there is a hardware error. Passmark and 3dmark11 are good ones but there are several others.
I hope you find something useful here and please keep us posted if you resolve the issue.

I started running MSI Afterburner this past Monday. Will definitely take duggnice and your advice on the Nvidia settings.
I too hope to find something useful. I'll try out the suggestions one at a time in hopes that if I do come across a suggestion that works I can share it. Much appreciate all the constructive feedback and suggestions.

View PostVertigo 1, on 05 September 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

Are you using FRAPS? I noticed a weird thing happens for me when I do. It drops my framerate by like 20 frames if I activate the FRAPS framerate counter.

I haven't been using FRAPS yet, but I do plan to try out Goose's recommendations tomorrow.

#23 Armament

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 199 posts
  • LocationPiloting a Dire Wolf.

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:13 PM

First off, increase your cpu clock speed. That's the single best thing you can do. Also disable any overlays you may be running. I.e RTSS monitoring. That's all you can really do. Cfg settings make no difference, Nvidia settings make no difference. If you're running a sound card, sometimes it causes issues with hogging up cpu resources. Mine did untill I disabled some fx in it.

#24 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

I run with Object Detail on Medium or High and Post Processing on medium (I guess Post Processing deals with objects in the distance). I haven't figured out exactly what the Environment video setting does so I never bothered with it (Kept at Low) I found that the Texturing makes my computer work harder to load everything so I keep that Low too. I might be able to raise that after I upgrade to a better desktop.

EDIT: I don't have my graphic card settings set to 'High Performance' though.. Ever since I set it to 'Let the application decide' it's been running a bit better.

View PostWaurgrim, on 05 September 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

Last night w/ a resolution of 1920 x 1080, DX9, motion blur off, v-sync off, damage glow off, everything else off or on low except Object Detail (Medium) and Texturing (High), Environment (High) I still had FPS drop to around 8 after a couple of matches. Seemed to start okay and still looked good enough to be enjoyable but performance did not last.

Edited by RazorbeastFXK3, 05 September 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#25 --Saint--

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:03 PM

A long while ago I was having the same issue and I had read that disabling 2D on your graphics card would resolve the issue. It did for me. I don´t have an NVidia card so I couldn´t guide you though I use GPU Tweak for my asus card.

Your rig seems plenty powerful btw so its probably a software setting issue, and not a hardware thing. Oh ad always remember to update drivers and BIOS version.

Hope this helps!

#26 RayBotiiC

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:03 AM

Update Ahoy! I've got good news to report.

What I've tried (in order)

Step(s) taken: Delete all user.config settings, run repair tool, restore default settings, resolution to 1920 x 1080, DX9, Medium Setting, Motion Blur Off, V-Sync Off, Damage Glow On
Result: Nothing noticeable, averaged 18 FPS for first match. ( Terra Therma )

Step(s) taken: Complete uninstall and then reinstall use default settings for MWO. resolution to 1920 x 1080, DX9, Medium Setting, Motion Blur Off, V-Sync Off, Damage Glow On
Result: No noticeable improvements, still seeing about 8-20 FPS

Step(s) taken: Used DDU to completely remove Nvidia Drivers, then reinstalled version GeForce 340.52.
Result: Slight improvement, seeing around 30 FPS with dips to 18 FPS or so.

Step(s) taken: Change all Nvidia settings for MWO to use application settings.
Result: No noticeable difference, still seeing around 30 FPS with dips to 18 FPS or so.

Step(s) taken: Ensured Power savings setting for Windows and Nvidia were both set to maximum performance.
Result: Saw noticeable improvments, running at about 25 - 40 FPS (Terra Therma)

Step(s) taken: Turned Threaded optimization on and set Nvidia to single display performance mode.
Result: Saw noticeable improvements, had consistent FPS in the mid 50's ( Alpine Peaks)

Step(s) taken: Disable a few unnecessary windows processes.
Result: No noticeable improvements, but still getting FPS in the mid 50s

Step(s) taken: System restart, ran repair tool one more time.
Result: Forest Colony Snow match with 115 at first until the fighting started then a pretty smooth 70-85 FPS for the rest of the match.

Also, took Goose's advice and ran HWiNFO64. Here's a summary of the "cores" utilization during gameplay
  • 18.2%(max 73.1)
  • 3.9%(max 25.2)
  • 7.8%(max 58.5)
  • 20.1%(max 90.9)
  • 22.2%(max 82.5)
  • 2.9%(max 40.9)
  • 14.5%(max 76.5)
  • 10.1% (max 90.9)

At this point I think I might be good. I'm going to try upping a few of the settings just a bit to improve the quality, but at the least the game appears to once again be quite playable.

Thanks everyone who took the time to help.
My take aways:
1.) Make sure you have your machines AND graphics power settings to maximum performance while playing
2.) Give as much control to the game as you can as far as settings
3.) Don't be afraid to completely wipe and reinstall drivers just because it's install and seem to work doesn't mean everything is perfect.

EDIT: Added summary of core utlization based on Goose's instructions.

Edited by Waurgrim, 06 September 2014 - 08:15 AM.

#27 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:00 AM

So:
  • I've heard Thread Optimization is something you can't really predict, and you just have to try.
  • Alpine seems to be the easiest map; but Forest Snow should be kind'a tough
  • If you can play at all, you can run Effects at Very High
  • You had the V-RAM to run Textures at Very High
  • I find you lack of GenericLogViewer disturbing
Posted Image

There's this Stupid Comp Trick where you open up media player of some kind, then minimized it while you play, which is supposed to get the CPU up to it's highest timer resolution; There are a few variants of this gag, and it's all personal preference as to which you use, but it seemed like the big breakthrough for my one buddy using an i7-2600/ GTX680, sans overclock …

#28 GetinmyBellah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWest Palm Beach, USA

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

Given my mediocre PC that plays this game without any issues using the in-game normal "high setting" I truly don't understand what your hiccup(s) and, or your bottleneck(s) could possibly be. Does this games engine still need optimization from the devs? Certainly it does. Anyway, I haven't made any changes to my background programs or startup programs. I have an EVGA 670 FTW Edition w/2GB RAM and I utilize the EVGA PrecisionX v4.2 software to manage the v-cards fans, etc. Yet, I run v-sync because I avg. 67fps and can jump up to the 100's in many situations, even when there is a toe to toe battle happening with several mechs. Using v-sync truly helps keep my card cooler and working smarter. Also, I utilize DX11 vs. DX9 for tessellation. Diskeeper trims my SSD drives and keeps everything fragmented to absolute perfection, imo (I love this software). And again, it's really hard for me to understand why your beast of a gaming rig has issues with the game. I can only think of it possibly involving Windoze 8 and, or nVidia drivers or possibly even your AV causing some issues with the game (as mentioned already). I use ESET Smart Security v7 which is a gamers AV dream imho, and it has a very convenient "game mode" button which stops any update checks and also bypasses the standard checking of already scanned files as they're usually processed through the AV software before making the handoff.... I apologize, dude, because I'm simply at a loss. I've read through the posts but maybe I missed this; have you tried running the latest nVid beta drivers? Anyhow, whenever I upgrade or downgrade any OS drivers I do so in safe mode and make certain that ALL prior files are deleted before progressing with installing any new drivers. I doubt I've been any help because I've simply been rambling my thoughts as I type. lol --- Regardless I hope that you work out whatever the heck is going on as your machine should eat MWO for breakfast. Happy hunting, Waurgrim <o

http://valid.canardpc.com/jr2a8h

PC Memory -- Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 PC1866 CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10
SSD OS Win7 Pro -- Kingston HyperX3K - SH103S3/240G 240GB HPX SSD
SSD Gaming Drives -- RAID-0 Samsung 830 MZ-7PC256D/AM 256GB SSD
Misc. Data Drives -- RAID-0 WDBlack - WD1002FAEX 6.0Gb/s 1TB HDD
Power -- Corsair HX Series HX1050 1050W 80 PLUS Gold Certified
Sound -- Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional
Monitors -- 3x Hanns-G HL272 27" 2ms Surround Monitor Setup

Addendum: I somehow missed your post stating that all is working a lot better! Awesome news man!! Also, just as an FYI; I run my OS on one SSD and all games are installed to a RAID-0 Samsung 830 SSD setup for a total of 512GB gaming space through the SATAIII SSD.

Edited by Vegentius, 06 September 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#29 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

Seeing how there are several threads about poor performance from Nvidia users, I would say it is a combination of properly installed drivers followed by GPU settings.

As I run ATI/AMD HD 7950 3gig on Intel i5-3570K oc 4.2ghz and HD 7850 on AMD FX 8350 4.0ghz, with Vsync enabled run at 60FPS that will dip to 40s during heavy brawling action.

System GPU settings set primarily to application control. For game settings FPS starts taking a hit when Anti-aliasing is used then both systems are running around 45-50FPS to drops to 25-30fps during heavy brawling.

Step(s) taken: Used DDU to completely remove Nvidia Drivers, then reinstalled version GeForce 340.52.
Result: Slight improvement, seeing around 30 FPS with dips to 18 FPS or so.
Newest drivers also are not always the better but more important is uninstalling previous driver correctly instead of installing new drivers over it.

Step(s) taken: Change all Nvidia settings for MWO to use application settings.
Result: No noticeable difference, still seeing around 30 FPS with dips to 18 FPS or so.

Step(s) taken: Ensured Power savings setting for Windows and Nvidia were both set to maximum performance.
Result: Saw noticeable improvments, running at about 25 - 40 FPS (Terra Therma)

Step(s) taken: Turned Threaded optimization on and set Nvidia to single display performance mode.
Result: Saw noticeable improvements, had consistent FPS in the mid 50's ( Alpine Peaks)

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 06 September 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#30 M A S E

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:22 AM

I did a balls out reinstallation of my entire pc. I didn't buy anything, but whatever it did helped out alot. I run an i5-2500k OC'd to 4.5 and a GTX 760. It's not you, its the game and its poor optimization with Windows and lots of other crap.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users