Any Other Australian Players Forced Into Retirement?

59 replies to this topic

#1 l33tworks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

So I always saw those threads where people rage quit in and like most people I had some fun reading them. I never actually told them” bye you wont be missed” or any other smug remarks, I could relate to some of them sometimes, but the most part I felt they were mostly being over dramatic and childish, simply because the game was very fun and worth playing, certainly more than other games out there for my taste, and mostly importantly the fact that whatever changes to the game they were complaining about, EVERYONE was in the same boat because the change applied to all players. Maybe I have become one of them overnight but not by choice or without good reason.

I never imagined a server “upgrade” would pull the brakes so hard on this game for me. It just happened all of a sudden, so it’s a bit surreal, but overnight the game is just not playable for me. Not that I cant still play it, but that I cant have FUN playing it. I am not ragequitting more than sadly being led not to not play. Its more a serenity quit.

The connection to the server that decides what is reality is just so bad now that gameplay is such a mess that I question the intelligence of Australians left playing this. Heck its not even that I felt like Australians were treated as second class citizens. I always felt well that’s the nature of the internet, longer distances mean more lag more packet loss less reliable synchronisation with the servers etc, but the evidence says otherwise. IF ANYBODY needed a performance increase its Australians, not Eueopean players, they were already in he 110-130ms range and doing just fine, so if they moved servers for performance reasons it should have been closer to asia not further away!

Let me walk you through what the game feel like now for me. Every form of interaction with the game is like a slideshow, where you feel it is happening in a dream instead of right now. Lets quickly skip over the massive delays in targeting an enemy, target info gathering, missile locks, zooming in and out, heat vision, nigh vision, coolant flush, startup/shutdown, incoming misssle warning delays etc. Lets just deal with the enemy mechs and shooting at them.

You fire your weapons at an enemy, a sound is instantly made, your heat instantly goes up, instantly loose your ammo, you MOVE about 20 metres down the road, and then somewhere from a location back a few seconds ago, you see your weapons fire come out of thin air behind you, travelling into an area where the enemy mech was 2 seconds ago, and it either goes right through them or it hits them but you never register a hit anyway.

At the same time you feel like 50 things went down and you missed all of them happening one at a time, like they are supposed, to because they came at you in a flood. You take 50 clicks worth of damage, the enemies have had 50 goes of seeing you and reacting and targeting you moving around, suddenly missiles are slamming you with almost no warning, you’ve been pelted by mechs that must’ve seen you standing around like an idiot for a good second or so, not reacting because on your end you saw nothing of them. I am NOT TALKING ABOUT DESYNCS. I mean the game as it is non stop.

You can be even prepared and wait for an enemy to come around a corner, shoot them the instant they appear, nothing happens for a few seconds, you see the enemy immediately warp back into cover, the server catches up, your take damage and your shots NOW begin to fly through the air but its too late they have cored you had a cup of coffe and moved on and you’ve shot a wall where they were 2 seconds ago.
One more time of this and your dead before you could even click the mouse. Anything faster than 90kph circling moving on the field? Forget trying to hit them. It doesn’t matter if your aim is perfect or if you learn to aim ahead and SHOOT INTO THIN AIR. Even if you register damage It will only be a fraction of a fraction of what your meant to register. Your only hope is shooting at standing still assault mechs that are not aware of you, even if they spot you buy the time they turn around on your end, they have already began firing at you, by the time you can react and retreat you’ve taken tons of damage. Oh and ALL of the above is only using pinpoint damage weapons like ACs PPCs and gauss. You have NO HOPE of landing a laser beam, they are like tickle devices.

I’ve never been bothered by OP this or that, or “balance”, or lack of of content or maps etc, NONE of that every bothered me, heck I don’t even mind loosing most of the time, I STILL enjoyed the game immensely. But you now feel like a baby trying to catch a fly out there. Everyone just runs rings around you, you may as well just shutdown and serve as an easy kill for the real players. I still try to drop, but its with a meh sad face because I know I cant possibly have a good game, and I don't know how much longer I can do that.

Edited by l33tworks, 05 September 2014 - 06:51 PM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

I thought it was due to the ISP. Switch it to another and you will have no probem.

#3 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:50 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 September 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

I thought it was due to the ISP. Switch it to another and you will have no probem.

No sane person will switch ISP just because of a single game. And for many of us, we don't actually have the choice of many ISPs. So 'no problem' indeed.

However, I noticed that with this patch, something's changed, since my ping has swung back to normal. I'm guessing it hasn't been for everyone then? Still, I think the whole server move was poorly thought out.

#4 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:06 PM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 05 September 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

No sane person will switch ISP just because of a single game. And for many of us, we don't actually have the choice of many ISPs. So 'no problem' indeed.

However, I noticed that with this patch, something's changed, since my ping has swung back to normal. I'm guessing it hasn't been for everyone then? Still, I think the whole server move was poorly thought out.

Weirdly yes. I was one of the few Aussies to (barely) benefit from the move, losing about 5-6ms off my average ping, but with the latest patch I'm right back to 269-277 range as I was before.

#5 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

I have been getting the usual lag and desyncs, but the server move hasnt done anything bad to me, infact I thing on average I am 20ms ping better, I was usually at 280-300ms now I seem to be more around the 260-280ms range.

Well I am in Brisbane on Optus cable, the only thing I could guess is that you are now taking a ride on one of the less direct undersea cables http://www.submarinecablemap.com/ Like past NZ when you were not before or a different route inside the US.

Other than that for some crazy reason you could be going Asia/MiddleEast/Europe/Atlantic then to Montreal.

View PostCycKath, on 05 September 2014 - 07:06 PM, said:

Weirdly yes. I was one of the few Aussies to (barely) benefit from the move, losing about 5-6ms off my average ping, but with the latest patch I'm right back to 269-277 range as I was before.

LocationSE QLD, Australia so same as me, I guess us brisbane/gold goldcoast and surrounding areas got lucky.

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:53 PM

No sane person will switch ISP just because of a single game. And for many of us, we don't actually have the choice of many ISPs. So 'no problem' indeed. However, I noticed that with this patch, something's changed, since my ping has swung back to normal. I'm guessing it hasn't been for everyone then? Still, I think the whole server move was poorly thought out.

In Mongolia we got few good ISPs, and I immediately switched from Mobicom to Unitel because it dropped 60 ms in League of Legends from 240 to 180. Moved to EUW server from NA, dumping all my friendlist because it dropped another 50 ping to 130 ms.

And I am very much sane. I just like to enjoy my games and actually do something about the lag.

Edited by El Bandito, 05 September 2014 - 07:57 PM.

#7 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:09 PM

On Optus here and didn't notice any differences in Melb, but the desync issue hasn't been fixed either, though that affects everyone apparently.

#8 Eboli

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

With IInet here and I dropped to the better by a good 30-40. Based here in Canberra. Running lights can be a nightmare at times because things have already happen before you see them or can react to them. Running into the enemy creates a repeating rubberbanding effect which you usually don't escape death on. This being my biggest complaint. I can sympathise with you situation.

Cheers!
Eboli

#9 l33tworks

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:57 PM

Well it seems a portion of people are either not affected which is strange or don't care. The funny thing is I don't think I am being incorrectly routed. My ping only jumped higher by about 20ms, but the game play was hashly affected. Nothing else has changed aside from the server migration. Its not just purely a ping issue, its a inconsistent connection here myself and enemy mechs much more jittery.

View PostEboli, on 05 September 2014 - 09:07 PM, said:

With IInet here and I dropped to the better by a good 30-40. Based here in Canberra. Running lights can be a nightmare at times because things have already happen before you see them or can react to them. Running into the enemy creates a repeating rubberbanding effect which you usually don't escape death on. This being my biggest complaint. I can sympathise with you situation.

Cheers!
Eboli

Yes I forgot to mention this major issue. Since the serve migration warps and rubber banding are 10fold worse. Running past a group of enemies in a lights means you just get warped back to the same spot over and over and over and over again. There is no escape amonst the chaos, its like ground hog day.

The other thing is every time you shut-down you get warped back to a different location, and then when you start-up and have had the ability to fire for a few seconds, Your entire AIM gets jerked to a new location AGAIN, AFTER you've had time to let of another barrage of your new weapons, meaning you just completely missed the enemy and overheated again and warped again, over and over.

Edited by l33tworks, 05 September 2014 - 09:58 PM.

#10 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:37 PM

Yeah see I'm in Australia, Victoria, and i do not see ANY of the above posted issues. I had a single desync thus far on Therra Therma for about 4 seconds.

Thats it. Hell, my latency barely moved, was 285, now 287 ...

#11 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:24 PM

My latency went from 260 to anywhere from 340 to 415. It usually picks a value and stays there though. I'd say I'm losing ~40% damage due to it at 415ms.

The tracert shows the connection is being routed via Europe, which explains the increase. If it stays this way I might have to use a VPN.

Edit: I'm not entirely sure how the backbone is divided up by the ISPs, but I believe everyone on ADSL is in the same boat, as all the telephone wires are owned by telstra, and the other ISPs are simply reselling telstra's service. (there might be some places with a second set of telephone wires from a different company) Changing ISPs is only likely to help if they use different hardware.

Edited by John1352, 05 September 2014 - 11:29 PM.

#12 Alymbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 600 posts
  • LocationSpace Australia

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:50 PM

Gold Coast, Telstra, ADSL, from 250ms to 400+ms ping.... It would be ironic that, after everything else this game has been though since the start of closed beta, it was a server move that stopped me playing.

#13 Taj the White Tiger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:54 PM

View PostAlymbic, on 05 September 2014 - 11:50 PM, said:

Gold Coast, Telstra, ADSL, from 250ms to 400+ms ping.... It would be ironic that, after everything else this game has been though since the start of closed beta, it was a server move that stopped me playing.

I'm basically the same boat as Aly

before sever migration i was at 250, post migration my ping was at 380, after the recent patch my ping is now at 440 and the game is unplayable.

To have to effectively quit playing the game after all this time is a sad reality

Edited by Taj the White Tiger, 05 September 2014 - 11:54 PM.

#14 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:35 AM

This is really odd, just yesterday I was in the same boat as everyone else above, yet now it's gone back to normal, if not better. I'm trying to figure out if there was something I did, but it seems it came with the patch by itself. Nothing in the changelog... so, I'm very confused.

#15 Menas

• Pip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:06 AM

My ping from Melbourne with iiNet is now slightly better at around 245ms, and I haven't had any lag or desync issues since they moved to the new server. Before that I was getting multiple pauses and desyncs in almost every game, so for me it's definitely improved.

#16 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:40 AM

this was not done to improve ping or upgrade. PGI was saving money hence you should not be surprised with the outcome.

#17 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:03 AM

people buy gaming pcs just for games, people buy gamign mice and gamign screens just for games.
Why would someone not change the IS when the current one they have uses crappy routing the the most commonly hosting countires when he plays online games regulary?

You are not married wth your ISP, internet connection is just a product and you use what every you need and you are able to afford.

Edited by Lily from animove, 06 September 2014 - 05:03 AM.

#18 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:14 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 06 September 2014 - 05:03 AM, said:

You are not married wth your ISP, internet connection is just a product and you use what every you need and you are able to afford.

That is true to a point, some areas have limited options for a number of reasons (technical infrastructure from only one provider). In my case I am technically married to my ISP, use a work provided connection. Scares me to consider paying and quota limits if I ever leave this job...

#19 Dirkdaring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTwycross

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:15 AM

Have you guys tried running through a proxy vpn?

#20 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

Gah... it's back again. Back to 360 ping, routing through Europe. Just before, like, right before it seemed to be working fine again, routing directly to America, but now it just... switched back.

Guess I'm back in everyone else's boat.

View PostLily from animove, on 06 September 2014 - 05:03 AM, said:

people buy gaming pcs just for games, people buy gamign mice and gamign screens just for games.
Why would someone not change the IS when the current one they have uses crappy routing the the most commonly hosting countires when he plays online games regulary?

My gaming mouse does not charge me $400 to cancel my contract.

Also, this ISP is pretty much the best I can get here. Unlimited, reasonable speeds for a rural town. The only other option is direct Telstra, which costs a lot, LOT more for a smaller, capped plan. It plays other games fine. MWO is the only game I started getting this issue with, and it's only since the server move. Whatever they have, isn't set up right as far as I"m concerned.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users