21 replies to this topic

#1 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:28 AM

Anyone ever heard that phrase?

It just seems appropriate to remind people of it today. Since PGI's Overlords at IGP have abandoned MechWarrior Tactics, after selling Founders memberships for about 8 months AFTER development on the game stopped completely.

As a Founder of MWO, I've gotten my moneys worth out of the game, played thousands of matches and had lots of fun playing with friends over the past 2 years.

I'm saying that despite the about faces, the missed deadlines, and glacially slow development of this game. Am I 100% happy with the game, not at all, but at least I can say I got my moneys worth.

I just thought that if I was a new player checking this game out, and I knew about IGP and MWT, I would be very, very concerned about what may happen to MWO after learning about the latest developments at PGI. I would be pretty hesitant in the future to lay any significant cash into the game unless I saw leaps and bounds of improvement in the development of the game.

As for 1984 by George Orwell, it's an old book, but a great read. You need to take the time to seriously pour though it to see what a powerful idea it is that the book presents.

By controlling what people can access, what they can read, how it's possible to control how they think. In this book they literally removed the words from the language that could lead to rebellion and discontent. People couldn't even form the thoughts about it because the words had been stamped out of existence.

Powerful stuff.

Edited by TLBFestus, 08 September 2014 - 10:39 AM.

#2 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

And this people, is a perfect example of "thought control" as exercised by "The P(GI)arty" in 1984.

K-town, and draconian moderation to control the masses.

Here's a summary of the plot;

http://www.sparknote...84/summary.html

The Moderators would work for "The Ministry of Truth".

Yes, I know Egomane, "You are only following orders". Personally I'd rather follow my moral/ethical compass than "orders".

Edited by TLBFestus, 08 September 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#3 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 08 September 2014 - 08:28 AM, said:

Since PGI's parent company has abandoned MechWarrior Tactics

IGP isn't PGI's parent company.

#4 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:39 AM

View PostHeffay, on 08 September 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

IGP isn't PGI's parent company.

I stand corrected. I changed it to "Overlords".

#5 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 08 September 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

Personally I'd rather follow my moral/ethical compass than "orders".

What does your moral/ethical compass tell you about a to liberal use of accusations and insults?

Maybe you might need to recalibrate yours?

#6 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

View PostEgomane, on 08 September 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

What does your moral/ethical compass tell you about a to liberal use of accusations and insults?

Maybe you might need to recalibrate yours?

It's called Free Speech. Generally speaking we let chuckleheads like Horst Bulau (notorious denier of the holocaust) and other freaks speak their mind, no matter how vulgar and abhorrent we find it because the vast majority of people see it for what it is.

As far as the liberal use of accusations and insults, they boil down to a point of view. You call it an accusation, I call it a reasonable question based on the information available.

Your job is to moderate in the fashion to which you have been instructed. Part of that is quite reasonable and sound, to put a halt to threats to individuals, which I, and the vast majority, find totally reasonable and sensible.

The internet bullying manifesto that Niko is now using as his own personal forum pot-scrubber specifically mentions it's not to be used to squash criticism of a game, but instead to prevent personal threats and such. Yet here we are seeing not only posts about "that which may not be brought up" moved, but people banned for critiquing the game.

People with a long history of posting, being critical but without threats or vulgarity, no disciplinary actions taken against, or very little, and they are gone. Now, I'm not referring to everyone who has been banned recently, some did deserve it. However, the broom seems to be much bigger than necessary.

Honestly, if you believe every ban was totally justified, something I know you would/could not admit in this forum anyhow, I'd have to say I misjudged you.

Good thing is this thread is buried in K-town where the vast majority of people never look.

#7 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:13 PM

FREE SPEECH WARNING! CAUTION EVERYONE! FREE SPEECH HAS BEEN CLAIMED!

#8 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 08 September 2014 - 12:04 PM, said:

It's called Free Speech.

Why is it, that almost anyone using free speech as an excuse, doesn't understand the concepts of it?

Free speech has only one reason for existence. To be able to talk critically about a government, without fear of repercussions. It is not meant to be applied to any other form of communications and is no excuse for insults. If you read up on it, you will realize that this is in almost all laws about free speech declared as unacceptable. Your right for free speech ends, whenever you attempt to hurt another individual with it.

You are on a private forum (yes, even company owned forums have that label, as companies are no government), you have no right for free speech.

Edited by Egomane, 08 September 2014 - 12:25 PM.

#9 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

I totally agree with you. It's PGIs forums and you can, and will, deny people the opportunity (because as you pointed it out, it's sure not a right here anymore), of critiquing actions. It's censorship, and biased at that.

The fact that you are technically right, and are happy to use that justify this type of censorship, doesn't make it any less distasteful.

By your definition, in these forums you are always in the right, and if I'm not beating the PGI is great drum, I'm always wrong regardless of whether I'm respectful or not. It's beginning to appear that if you don't kowtow to the approved "party" line you will be censored to create the appearance of unity. Or are we there yet, because if we aren't we sure are edging closer.

So, lets save time and trouble. I don't want to continue this discussion, because it's not one I can win, and I don't want to be banned at this point, so I will acknowledge your right to enforce the PGI approved speech content of these forums. I will continue to practice my right to speak and let the chips fall where they may.

#10 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

I'm not posting what I want to post. I just hope you do not believe in what you trying pull here.

#11 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 08 September 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

I totally agree with you. It's PGIs forums and you can, and will, deny people the opportunity (because as you pointed it out, it's sure not a right here anymore), of critiquing actions. It's censorship, and biased at that.

The fact that you are technically right, and are happy to use that justify this type of censorship, doesn't make it any less distasteful.

By your definition, in these forums you are always in the right, and if I'm not beating the PGI is great drum, I'm always wrong regardless of whether I'm respectful or not. It's beginning to appear that if you don't kowtow to the approved "party" line you will be censored to create the appearance of unity. Or are we there yet, because if we aren't we sure are edging closer.

So, lets save time and trouble. I don't want to continue this discussion, because it's not one I can win, and I don't want to be banned at this point, so I will acknowledge your right to enforce the PGI approved speech content of these forums. I will continue to practice my right to speak and let the chips fall where they may.

When someone shits in your pool every single day, you think that you should continue to give them their "right" to **** in your pool?

#12 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, I really do believe what I'm saying, so feel free to post away, use your freedom of speech, I believe it's greater than mine in this location.

Really Heffay?

You're reduced to re-posting potty references? Don't you have something cleverer to say than a recycled comment you used for Sandpit? But if you insist in using that, I could actually refer to how it feels as a Founder and how many times "my" pool was pooped in during development.

#13 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 08 September 2014 - 03:31 PM, said:

Yeah, I really do believe what I'm saying, so feel free to post away, use your freedom of speech, I believe it's greater than mine in this location.

Really Heffay?

You're reduced to re-posting potty references? Don't you have something cleverer to say than a recycled comment you used for Sandpit? But if you insist in using that, I could actually refer to how it feels as a Founder and how many times "my" pool was pooped in during development.

Fortunately my reference is spot on perfect. If you're a **** poster, expect **** treatment. You have the right to say whatever you want. You don't have the right to be free of consequences.

Sandpit got exactly what he deserved.

#14 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:30 PM

Are you insulting another forum member?

Isn't that a Code of Conduct violation?

Where's a Moderator when you need one? Oh right, there's a disconnect when it comes to admonishing the lap dogs, and I'm more likely to be "disciplined" since I'm not constantly spouting PGI approved dribble. Nevermind.....nothing going on here....carry right on by.

And you know, I thought at times you were pretty reasonable, at least until I read that. My mistake, it can be hard to be civil when you know you won't be censored and you've been aching to attack someone who's views you don't agree with. Pretty vindictive of you though, I hope it gives you pleasure.

#15 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:32 PM

View PostHeffay, on 08 September 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

Sandpit got exactly what he deserved.

He did have a good talent for telling other people they needed to grow up.

To bad he couldn't take his own advice.

View PostTLBFestus, on 08 September 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

Are you insulting another forum member?

Isn't that a Code of Conduct violation?

This is K-Town.
Mods only moderate here when they feel like it, hence the warning label before you enter here, and the fact that you can only even see K-Town if you are actively logged in.

#16 Grrzoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • 496 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:33 PM

your in k-town. the people here will make your posts better. I await with baited breath......

#17 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostGrrzoot, on 08 September 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

your in k-town. the people here will make your posts better. I await with baited breath......

I would offer some pants, but winter is coming (heh) and it gets cold up here.

Best to dress in layers, which leaves less pants to hand out.

#18 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 08 September 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

This is K-Town.
Mods only moderate here when they feel like it, hence the warning label before you enter here, and the fact that you can only even see K-Town if you are actively logged in.

Well I'm pretty sure nothing was going to be done about Heffay comments anyway. Call it a hunch. Kinda reminds me of the fervor of Evangelical Christians in many ways. But I can a least say that I have dealt with Evangelicals that I like.

And I've admired the "k-town" method of sanitizing forums ever since some Machiavellian Moderator type thought of it. Not for it's intent of course, but for it's ingenuity.

#19 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:42 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 08 September 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

Well I'm pretty sure nothing was going to be done about Heffay comments anyway. Call it a hunch. Kinda reminds me of the fervor of Evangelical Christians in many ways. But I can a least say that I have dealt with Evangelicals that I like.

And I've admired the "k-town" method of sanitizing forums ever since some Machiavellian Moderator type thought of it. Not for it's intent of course, but for it's ingenuity.

You're going to do whatever it takes to make sure the denizens of K-town can't redeem this thread, aren't you?

#20 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

View PostHeffay, on 08 September 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

You're going to do whatever it takes to make sure the denizens of K-town can't redeem this thread, aren't you?

I don't know that there is enough cake, pants, or tacos right now.
Maybe in a few weeks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users