#41 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

View PostJudgeDeathCZ, on 12 September 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

Okay, one game. Fair enough. what about something like Seaquest DSV (again) or, hey, "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" with monsters that look like guys in crappy scuba suits and re-breathers.

#42 Aesis

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 56 posts
  • LocationGrandma's basement

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:14 AM

Woot $7,600 in 5 days. I wonder how much will be pledged by the end of deadline.

#43 themoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 589 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:00 AM

Even with MWO was feature complete and the best game ever made.... Transverse would fail.

The market is already saturated with crowdfunded space sims.

#44 Aesis

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 56 posts
  • LocationGrandma's basement

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:58 AM

yay 100 backers!

#45 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:03 AM

View PostAesis, on 14 September 2014 - 12:14 AM, said:

Woot $7,600 in 5 days. I wonder how much will be pledged by the end of deadline.

At that rate, (7,600 / 5 * 30) = 45,600. Roughly a tenth of their first goal of 500,000.

It's not going well for Transverse (as predicted).

#46 Shlkt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

PGI should consider why customers are willing to crowd-fund stuff in the first place. In 2014 we have access to more games and entertainment that we could ever consume; why risk money on something that may never materialize?

I'd argue that people crowd-fund games only when the game they want wouldn't be produced otherwise. StarCitizen is a great example because the space sim genre had been dead for years prior to its announcement (EVE excepted); people desperately wanted a new space sim and they were willing to fork over big bucks for hope.

The same psychology does not apply to Transverse because StarCitizen and E:D have already filled the niche! The genre is no longer "dead" in that sense, so there's less reason to take a risk on a new franchise. Also, the biggest space sim fans have already jumped on the SC or ED bandwagons.

MWO succeeded for the same reasons: the mech simulator experience had been dead for years, and fans wanted hope.

Even hope is not enough for some, though. You may have noticed that I participated in the MWO Founder's program - that's because I had already been given access to the closed beta and enjoyed playing the game. So for me it wasn't much of a risk - the game was already playable. Once again, this motivation doesn't apply to Transverse because there's no public prototype.

We'll never know for certain but I wouldn't be surprised if the Transverse funding campaign had been affected even more by the reasons above than the negative MWO publicity.

#47 Illegal Username

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:19 AM

Now that it's clear that Transverse is going nowhere fast it's time to beg people to buy our gold packages "community outreach"

#48 Alex Morgaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:35 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 13 September 2014 - 07:04 AM, said:

Okay, one game. Fair enough. what about something like Seaquest DSV (again) or, hey, "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" with monsters that look like guys in crappy scuba suits and re-breathers.

Seriously, we need a B-movie mmo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users