Prometheus

26 replies to this topic

#21 sumdumfu

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

MD I'm completely on board with you bro. KW, your whole refutation is essentially, "Other movies can be stupid, this one should be allowed to be." hint, lowering expectations is not a good thing, and is in fact a very bad thing. You say what movies have been perfect? Not a lot, but there have been a few, Bladerunner and Alien being among them. This is no where near that class. I don't mean perfect in the sense of divine perfection, I mean perfect in the sense of perfectly conveying the beauty/horror of the human condition.

KW, the fact that you're willing to make allowances for the behavior of the scientists speaks poorly of your idea of professionalism. Have you ever seen an actual archaeological dig? Even though they're all as excited as schoolboys, they're not running around touching everything as fast as they can. They're using toothbrushing to clear away dirt and rock millimeters at a time. That's true science.

And don't say 'except for those moments' cuz first of all I can't believe you think it's a great movie even accepting those stupidities. Second of all, I said they were SOME OF the obvious stuff. As MD pointed out, there were a MILLION of them, which adds up to a braindead and pretentious plot. I know what was going on, I'm not a stupid person. My beef was with the confusing and vague conveyance of the plot. This film had some good ideas, but it was fatally (as in guts hanging out of an abdominal wound fatal) flawed and dead on arrival. The scriptwriter just wasn't smart enough to achieve the greatness he was after.

Edited by sumdumfu, 23 June 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#22 Syclonus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 331 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOak Ridge, TN

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

I found it to be a entertaining movie, it's been awhile since a proper sci-fi flick has came out. The visual effects were really stunning on the IMAX 3D screen. 2 hours well spent. I hope they make another one that branches into another "Ridley Scott:Alien" series of stories.

Posted Image
Why HAI thar. My name is UrFuqed

#23 PLOG

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

Thought it was good. Not mind shatteringly awesome, but good. For me the bits and pieces made sense but there were some things that some of the characters did that were like "wha...?"

Dumb scientists, i never get around this one. Say they're big kids all you want, but sooo many bad ideas and choices. "Grab the oral sodomite tentacle beast? sure thing"

Why did the Daughter witht he lifeboat have a med station programmed only for dudes again? Did Idris Elba know the secret of the crying game?

I thought the female lead did a good job of carrying on the Ripley "never die" legacy and Magneto was a superb "jerk-bot"

mattPLOG-these filters man...sheesh...pretty soon my posts are only gonna contain the words "the" and "a"

Edited by PLOG, 24 June 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#24 Chunkymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 657 posts
  • LocationReady to make war on Romano Liao for the true chancellor, Candace Allard-Liao

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

That surgery part disturbed me, otherwise pretty good. :)

#25 Hyperius

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

Prometheus was extremely disappointing. The script and characters (apart from David) are terrible. I think this has been the worst representation of scientists and the scientific method in a long time. You have scientists that rely on "faith" for their theories with absolutely no quantifiable data, the first thing they do with the alien head is run a current through it for no real reason (Scott just wanted it to explode I guess), you have a geologist who says that all the rock walls in a cave look the same to him and gets lost when we just saw that they have a map, a biologist that likes to poke aliens, they all have the brilliant idea of taking their helmets off as soon as they hear it's breathable not remembering the danger of pathogens, and one of them gets infected and doesn't tell anyone. On top of that the movie can't decide whether or not it wants to be an Alien prequel and thus invalidates the entire series with it's ending. The movie also does little to expand on its themes and when it does Ridley Scott might as well just hold up neon signs in the background of what hes trying to say for all the subtlety he has. There are other issues I had with it but those were some of the biggest points.

Bottom line is that Prometheus is a movie of good ideas with terrible execution. I sense that this was due to the influence of Damon Lindelof and a hasty rewrite or 2 late in the scripting process.

#26 Syclonus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 331 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOak Ridge, TN

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

View PostChunkymonkey, on 24 June 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

That surgery part disturbed me, otherwise pretty good. :)

oh man, I tried to forget that for day, thanks for reminding me..... lol

Posted Image

#27 Colonel Fubar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 650 posts
  • LocationPlanet Agoge in the Mitera System

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:18 PM

Prometheus rocks. My wife has watched it at least 10 times and can't wait for the sequel.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users