Jenner Hitboxes

Feedback

19 replies to this topic

#1 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:35 PM

I am not sure about everyone else in MWO, but the Jenner's hitboxes are horrible.

The CT can be hit from almost every direction and is >50% of the hitbox volumn when looking from all directions.

I understand that many like this due to "XL protection" but what about those that want to utilize a STD for those shots to hit the side torsos?

Edited by Zyllos, 15 September 2014 - 04:36 PM.

#2 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

Lol, nobody can hit those side torso's anyway, making the use of Standard engines in a Jenner completely pointless.

Its just a walking CT with legs, and if the CT isn't a standout enough target, the legs sure are, again making STD engines pointless.

TBH, its hitbox layout could be improved, but I'd much rather see an entire Remodel + retexture from scratch of the Jenner than any tweaks.

Edited by Mister D, 15 September 2014 - 04:39 PM.

#3 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:47 PM

I doubt there would be a redux done anytime soon. The hitboxes can be fixed by extending the side torsos down the side of the nose (just like the Raven) and partically up the flat spoiler thing.

#4 Gremlinn

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

Standard engine in any light is pointless, you lose all your firepower. Your problem is that you probably don't keep moving. The problem is not the hit box at all. I just started leveling my jenners this past week and they are not yet basiced out (I have about 60 mechs mastered) and I have been doing better with them than with some of the others that are completely mastered.

#5 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

Biggest XL you can fit in every IS light mech. Anything else is just foolishness. Also, never stop moving.

#6 John Mechlane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 164 posts
  • LocationBehind you...in a locust

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:40 AM

When I start a light build, the first step is always adding the biggest xl...

Never piloted jenners myself, but the ones I see on the field usually always have CT or leg damage....cant remember ever killing one because of the XL in the side torso...

#7 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

I never found it hurts to go +/- 20 ratings for lights. I run a 280XL in my JR7-K with narc and also my D with SRM8 and a good thing about the Jenners is that you don't need max armour on the legs and side torsos because 90% of your deaths are from front CT. Can't remember the last time I was legged, actually.

Personally I'd rather have an extra heatsink and ammo than the 10kph. Positioning matters more than speed.

Edited by Tarogato, 16 September 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#8 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:13 AM

Jenners wants a 300XL... nothing less. Jenners are perfectly fine from my perspective... mastered a long time ago, and I'd still rather hop in this than other Lights I've mastered.

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:31 AM

The Jenner is a mech that is designed to stare their opponents down. Don't twist your damage, as it will only lengthen your CT hitbox to the foe. You want to move sporadically to the sides of your foe, while keeping your torso pointed at your threat. Let your sideways (horizontal) movement slide damage away from you, as you continue to stare down your target.

Twisting your torso to try to redirect damage will only present your opponent's with your longer CT hitbox. If you stare them down, you present them a much smaller target overall. Combine that with movements to either side of a target, with your smaller front size, and you should be able to dodge a lot of damage.

Honestly, I feel that the Jenner has better hitboxes over the Raven, as the Raven has invisibly larger leg hitboxes. I've had a lot of success with my Jenner. Most of it is all in how you play it. (And yes, I too tried to twist damage around with my Jenner at first, and died quickly when I did. When I started to stare down opponents was when I started to survive longer and do better.)

#10 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

View PostZyllos, on 15 September 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

what about those that want to utilize a STD for those shots to hit the side torsos?

Those people are wrong.

View PostZyllos, on 15 September 2014 - 04:47 PM, said:

I doubt there would be a redux done anytime soon. The hitboxes can be fixed by extending the side torsos down the side of the nose (just like the Raven) and partically up the flat spoiler thing.

There is literally no reason to do this.

View PostVoivode, on 16 September 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

Biggest XL you can fit in every IS light mech. Anything else is just foolishness. Also, never stop moving.

*except urbanspider

#11 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:38 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 16 September 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

*except urbanspider

Or my Std 100 engine "Super Locust", which seems to do very well... somehow... :ph34r:

#12 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:12 PM

If you're not rocking 43 points of front CT armor on a Jenner you're doing it wrong.

#13 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:50 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 16 September 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

Those people are wrong.

What is "wrong" with players wanting STD in lights? Is it because if your not moving maximum speed, your basically just a bad pilot? I disagree with this if this is what you mean.

#14 Gavalin

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 30 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:52 PM

I've played Jenners to mastered since closed. I agree with the above problem. Yea staring at your opponet is not a bad call to use your speed to keep ahead of his guns however...it's not your target that kills you. Anyone with any real talent for shooting will put their shots right in the CT.

In a fire starter you can sacrifice 2 KPH (295 XL) and you pick up two shields (Your arms) in almost three years of playing I think I've lost the arms on my Jenner....maybe four times? Some stupid low number. Even when torso twisting (Your CT being open because it's a bullet magnet)

I feel you can fight better in the fire starters because of this. As the OP mentioned it's possible to hit the Jenner in the front CT while being in its side arcs 50% of the time while just spraying ammo at it. It's still the biggest target of the Jenner even when you start to move to the rear arc. Plus ...as most of us know the cockpit is dead center of it's...well center mass. My Jenner gets head shot by gauss weapons more than any of my other mechs combined. Simply because it's cockpit is dead center anything around that is CT the second easist thing to hit.

And no I don't stop often, I hound the other lights I play with to keep moving. However hitting a light mech at 500 meters is not hard. Much harder to hit them at 50 meters.

I do not have much to add to this though I can't offer advice on how to make it a bit better, perhaps lower the Jenners cockpit to the bottom of the five "windows" so it would be hard to hit it's pilot. Then sink the nose back into the mech 20% while increasing the chicken wings the same percent. At least then when running from the side the mech wouldn't be 50% CT.

#15 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:11 PM

View PostZyllos, on 16 September 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

What is "wrong" with players wanting STD in lights? Is it because if your not moving maximum speed, your basically just a bad pilot? I disagree with this if this is what you mean.

Std in a Jenner is wrong. There is no reason to do it, other than playing with silly builds. MAYBE a std engined spider, but not a Jenner. It would either be too slow or nearly unarmed.

Edited by Fierostetz, 16 September 2014 - 09:11 PM.

#16 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

Hitboxes of Jenner are perfect.If you run fast enough and zigzag you spread damage among all components.
CT is big,true,but that is an advantage which allows to carry XL engine more safely.

#17 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

can't believe that there are ppl complaining about jenners...

#18 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:10 PM

Jenner is fine, probably the most balanced light mech hitboxes in the game, not too big, not too small.

#19 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:14 PM

View PostThrudvangar, on 16 September 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

can't believe that there are ppl complaining about jenners...

proof that people can complain about anything

If you're not running an XL in a light mech, you're doing it wrong. If you're not running an XL300 in a Jenner, you're definitely doing it wrong

#20 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:43 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 16 September 2014 - 10:14 PM, said:

proof that people can complain about anything

If you're not running an XL in a light mech, you're doing it wrong. If you're not running an XL300 in a Jenner, you're definitely doing it wrong

Nah.. I like my Jenners with more firepower: 4xML+2xSRM4. XL280 is fine. It's not like you'll be running away from enemy lights anyway. Not with your firepower.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users