16 replies to this topic

#1 Gatth

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPEI

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:39 PM

Hope this counts as an accessory! Are most people sticking with windows 7 or do you feel windows 8.1 worth upgrading to? Also curious what people are doing for firewalls and anti-virus I am out of the loop on whats the latest and greatest...or does windows have good enough security !?

#2 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWarShip Sleipnir, Spinward-Coreward Quadrant

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:48 PM

Right now I am testing Win7 vs Win8.1 will hopefully have those results in a few more days (damn work and no days off..). As to AV thats a minefield now days of opinions I personally use Kaspersky because it was never really a resource hog, now days though they have started to increase the bloat :(. Firewall is just a router that is locked down good.

#3 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:27 PM

If you're already on Windows 7, there really isn't any point to going to Windows 8.

For anti-virus/firewall I'm a big fan of bitdefender.

#4 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:35 PM

Seconding Bitdefender.

#5 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:44 PM

I am impartial towards Nod 32

#6 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:54 PM

Family uses Norton 360, but if it were up to me I'd use the paid version of Malware bytes and possibly the free version of Avast alongside it.

#7 Tvrdoglavi

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

Absolutely no reason to get Windows 8 vs Windows 7.

#8 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:35 PM

View PostLord Letto, on 22 September 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

Family uses Norton 360, but if it were up to me I'd use the paid version of Malware bytes and possibly the free version of Avast alongside it.

It's bad to use more than one real time scanner. They can conflict with each other and cause decreased detection.

#9 Warblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 503 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc, Cnd

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:12 PM

Been running win8/8.1 now for just about 2yrs now I'm liking it very much but it does take some getting used to, imho if u know someone who alrdy has it have them sit down with you an walk you threw the basics you'll be glad you did. As for AVs n Firewalls the ones built in to windows are o.k. but I myself run Norton just because I had a sub from before I switched to win8. If you wanna upgrade to 8 I'd say go for it, but if your not sure and really like your win7 just stick with that both will do everything you want them to do.

ps. IMHO te best thing about windows 8 is the mail app. :D

#10 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

Norton and McAfee have some of the lower detection rates in the AV world.

#11 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:51 AM

The only advantage of windows 8 is directx 11.1 and 11.2, but only battlefield 4 seems to use it, so if you don't play that game there's no point (yet).

I use 8.1 and no antivirus, have the secure boot thingy on though, run a scan sometimes, and never even open my email on it, it's only for games and browsing.

#12 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:13 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 23 September 2014 - 01:51 AM, said:

The only advantage of windows 8 is directx 11.1 and 11.2, but only battlefield 4 seems to use it, so if you don't play that game there's no point (yet).

I use 8.1 and no antivirus, have the secure boot thingy on though, run a scan sometimes, and never even open my email on it, it's only for games and browsing.

I hope you have java script turned off in your browser!

#13 Gatth

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPEI

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:18 AM

Unfortunately I must share my computer with the better half so it will get used for web browsing and email etc. Also do not have room to keep a second comp hooked up. I am leaning towards 8.1, I read somewhere that you can set it to look like 7 anyhow. My sister has 8.1 on her comp and with a little coaching I'm sure I can get used to it.

#14 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

I still stand by saying that ESETs Nod32 is among the best AV.

#15 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

Here's a comparison of some anti-virus http://chart.av-comp....org/chart1.php

#16 M X Striker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 114 posts
  • LocationAwesome, USA

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

I run Windows 8.1 as well and have been running Windows 8 for ~2 yrs like the poster above. Once you install ClassicShell, it's just as much home as Windows 7 used to be. That being said, as others have mentioned, if you're already on Win 7, there's no reason to upgrade, UNLESS, you have Touch screen technology to take advantage of.

As for Windows 8.1, I run an older Core i7-920 Rig running 6GB Tri-Channel RAM. I get 140+ framerates with a GTX760OC video card. This is playing at 1900x1200 resolution. There's not reason to be afraid or intimidated by Windows 8.1, as it's a perfectly viable OS.

#17 Gatth

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPEI

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:00 PM

Ended up going with 8.1 since I had to buy new anyhow. Really like it and its seemed easy to figure out especially once I found the desktop button.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users