Cataphract Engines And Defense

1 reply to this topic

#1 Monroe the Pinhead

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:36 AM

so i recently bought a Cataphract 3D after extensive usage of the trial mech and am having a problem with the engine. installed on it is an XL 280 it came as stock and every match that i'm destroyed in is due to it exploding ( it happens very quickly too). i went and looked at the trial version and its got a std 280 and in my experience with it the engine was never a problem. so i need to know if the XL is any better/worse than the std version (ive read other posts on the engines but am not sure how it affects a Cataphract).
and
if anyone uses the XL version whats your loadout and armor that you use to prevent getting hammered on your torso and not going up in flames in about 4 hits.

thanks for feedback- a confused pilot/noob

#2 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

XL engines are significantly lighter, letting you mount far more weaponry on your mech, or move at higher speeds than normal, at the cost of being far more fragile.

I do not usually use an XL on my Cataphracts unless I am using a bigger one (XL300) or mounting far more weaponry than the trail uses.
IE - a pair of LBAC and 2LL or 2AC10 and ML or even dual Gauss

If you can mount enough firepower, it can be worth it, or if you can move fast enough to evade more damage.

Also: most CTF-3D builds focus on "pop-tarting" or hiding behind a hill, using the JJ to pop up, fire, and drop you behind the hill, letting you hit without getting hit as much.
(though that requires a fair amount of moving so you are not predictable to be effective)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users