Gaming Keyboards?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

Just wondering what Gaming Keyboards you people use? I never had one yet but I might be able to get a used Sharkoon Skiller (Old Rosewill RK-8100 Apparently) for $5 next week: http://www.kijiji.ca...oard/1006450968

Edited by Lord Letto, 26 September 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#2 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

I am using this keyboard: Posted Image

#3 Stickjock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

Plain Jane keyboard personally...

BUT...

Run that along with a Razer Nostromo keypad and my DeathAdder mouse... Nostromo is my go to when running MWO... besides in-game chat... everything I need it mapped to a key on the Nostromo... wasn't too bad of a price when I got it, around $70... and well worth it...

Posted Image

Edited by Stickjock, 26 September 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#4 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

I would not invest in a used keyboard (unless you are looking for specific parts of it to hack out), the description says "Like new! Barely used" the pictures included tell a far different story. I picked up a Razer BlackWidowU(however even on sale its still way more than 10$), really liking it. However its important to note the switches used may be offensively loud to anyone else around(or even for the person using it{myself.. I love the feel and sound of the positively reassuring crunchy click}). I would suggest you shop around live storefronts and play with as many display models as you can find.

This can help you find one that feels right for you and it is also a great way to see how well the switches hold up to long term abuse. Try the typical keys for gaming, see if they feel any different that the ones less used(a lot of people will test keyboards with known fingerings and wail on them to get the feeling of in game levels of use{leaving those keys overworked even on many test models}). Once you know what you like, hit the internet and find a real steal thats just what your looking for.

#5 FallguySoldier

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

For the sake of getting that nice clackity-clack feeling and sound from a mechanical keyboard, I bought the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 Elite. So far it's served me well for both gaming AND typing documents. But if I'm doing any serious gaming, I usually use the Razer Nostromo just like what Stickjock uses. Needless to say, I play MWO with the Nostromo.

#6 Balrogos

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 25 posts
  • LocationPoland/Elblag

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

I have Logitecg G15 :o for 45$ i use a lot of macros in games like auto fire for pistols, or macro for Mechwarrior Advanced Zoom and always run On TAG, and im using this LCD screen too i can check my CPU/RAM usage graphics usage cpu temps network TS3, played audio files and stuff like that, anyway the keyboard sucks plastic is not good i need metal keys ;/ i scrach very much WSAD keys. When i broke this keyboard i want to buy another one with at least metal WSAD. My perfect keyboard is like G15 but mechanical with metal WSAD and maybe more usefoul LCD screen.

#7 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:32 PM

just looked at canadacomputers.com at the gaming keyboards listed, came across this: http://www.canadacom...&item_id=063480
Zalman K300M, looks like the Skiller/RK-8100 for $15+Tax (~$16.94) new, 3 left in stock at the local location (Waterloo).

also, I'm mainly interested in lights/LEDs and Macros so I can set up some Chat macros for MWO

Edited by Lord Letto, 26 September 2014 - 06:39 PM.

#8 Herzog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant Major
  • Sergeant Major
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

Love my Orbweaver

#9 Event Horizon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:19 PM

Corsair K70 fully mechanical cherry mx red switches

#10 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:48 PM

10$ msi startype chiclet keyboard :D

I have fist smashed this thing so many times and it just takes it like a boss

Edited by cSand, 02 October 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#11 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:32 AM

I use a Sidewinder X4. It's by no means the "best" keyboard, but it hits the points that matter and was only 30 bucks. Typists like mechanicals, and so do I when typing, but I couldn't care less while gaming. Anti-Ghosting is a must though, if more in general gaming than MWO in particular. I noticed a huge difference in BF2142. Backlighting isn't critical but it's damn nice to have, and macros are hit or miss in usefulness, but when they are useful I'm thankful to have the capability.

Those are about the only features I haven't found entirely frivolous additions over what you get with a $5 Walmart special.

Edited by Catamount, 03 October 2014 - 05:33 AM.

#12 ProfessorLava

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:28 AM

Anyone figured out how to fix the X4's macro keys yet? I would really like to use them for my consumables and 5th and 6th weapon groups. Even assigning them as normal keys instead of macros doesn't work

#13 Flababa

Rookie

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 9 posts
  • LocationIn a box with no air holes.

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:37 AM

The only thing I can say: Do. Not. Buy. Ducky.

I have a Ducky Shine 3. Feels solid, but the backlights started dying out <a month after purchase. Getting them to honor their warranty is impossible if you bought it overseas. (limited stock on some models in the US)

That being said, anything with Cherry MX switches == Win.

I ordered a test kit from http://www.cmstore-u...tch-demo-board/ to see which switches I liked.

Edited by Flababa, 08 November 2014 - 09:38 AM.

#14 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:40 AM

Upgraded my Logitech Fanboyism from a G15 that served me for 2 years to a G701+

What can I say, it's simply perfect.

#15 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:05 AM

That site, looks shady.

#16 Blackloch

• PipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNexus, Finland

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

Merc Stealth - http://steelseries.c...es-merc-stealth

Posted Image

It's not just straight plank with lights, like most on the market are. The gaming keyboard layout is just the best I've used so far. That, macros and ability to quickly bind a custom key into any key. And it's pretty silent, not making that mechanical click-clack. Some prefer mechanical, I prefer this... Whatever it is.

My daughter flipped a full thermos of coffee to my previous Merc Stealth, so I had to order one from UK since they don't sell it in Finland anymore. Totally worth the money and wait.

Edit: I've lost left hand index finger in accident so the tight formation of buttons is really sweet and I don't feel handicapped at all playing with just 4 fingers. :)
Posted Image

Edited by Blackloch, 15 December 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#17 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostXphR, on 15 December 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

That site, looks shady.

Spambot I'm guessing?

#18 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:31 PM

View PostLord Letto, on 16 December 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

Spambot I'm guessing?

Only dropped the one link so far, but you never know.

#19 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:04 AM

The Logitech G13 has an analog thumbstick that works well for analog throttle.

I would not buy a full sized gaming keyboard unless it was microswitched. Cherry MX switches are the best.

#20 Artur Valour

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 129 posts
  • LocationTexas, Holy Terra

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

I just got one of these Corsair k65 RGB's

http://www.corsair.c...gaming-keyboard

Anyone out there program one for use with MWO?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users