#21 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

View PostElizander, on 30 September 2014 - 01:16 PM, said:

You can keep it and wait for weekend sales of Hero mechs if you're patient.

That is how I have used most of my MC

#22 orcrist86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:25 PM

wait for a sale... like at christmas... buy everything

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:11 PM

View Post18Rabbit, on 29 September 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

I'm a fairly new player, about 30 days in.

I own a Grid Iron and 3 Awesome chassis (8R, 9M and 8Q).

My 30 days premium time is almost up.

I've been thinking about getting the Assault Package (Mercy + 2 stalkers, 3 mech bays & 30 days premium) but I'm open to suggestions.

Should I get a light mech or heavy and play with those? What would you do with your 20/20 hindsight after playing for a month?

If I were you I would "try" out a light or heavy or assault before making the commitment.

The trials should include the "champion" stock build that is included in those packages (though they rotate which 12 is available every so often so it may not be up yet).

"Mercy" I think is Misery.

(Slips on to see what's in the shop and trial mechs).
I only see the medium, heavy and assault mech mastery packs. Wait, there's the light.

Well I must say Firestarters are fantastic little mechs, I view them as 35 ton Centurions. Just take the armor down to 1 or 2 on the back, throw it all on the front, and never let anyone get behind you. My Ember and another firestarter run with standard engines and do fantastic. Just don't expect that experience to be typical of all light mechs.

Anyway, some notes: The Centurion trial isn't available to try nor is the Stalker trial (the Stalker one is a terrible loadout anyway; but the mech itself is incredible with other builds).

The Misery is essentially a Boar's Head at 85 tons. It tanks considerably better than Atlases in general and this is because of the hitbox design. Like Dire Wolves, it (the Stalkers in general) has a very terrible ability to handle targets that circle you, requiring you to throw the mech in reverse to be able to turn fast enough to deal with fast circling threats. It is important to remember that unlike most mechs which should and almost must turn away from indirect fire to spread damage, a Stalker is always better off staring the enemy in the face. Just the very way it walks spreads laser fire across 3 torso sections and makes the cockpit difficult to hit. (Stormcrows have a very similar advantage though it works with a vertical bounce rather than a horizontal and vertical sway).

Centurions are good tanky mediums though my personal love for them has dwindled when delayed convergence was removed. They still tank pretty well. They will leave you wanting in firepower, especially if you have experience with Hunchbacks.

Cataphracts does give you what is essentially the best 3 cataphracts in the game. The 4X is very slow but very ballistic-loving. The 3D is a good mix of ballistics and energy and also has the ability to jump. The muromets is essentially a Hunchback 4G in a 70 ton variety with an arrangement that people love.

Of them, the financial value of the Stalkers is highest, the Cataphracts are probably the easiest to learn how to play, and the others are sort of situational.

#24 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:29 PM

I bought the Stalker mastery pack recently and would say it's a pretty good value. Just my opinion though. ;)

#25 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:47 PM

simply put, the best value for your money would be

'Mech Bays->Hero 'Mechs->Premium Time/Colors & Camo->Champion 'Mechs->'Mech standard variants.

Think of it in terms of permanence. 'Mech bays allow for a permanent expansion of your "quiver." Hero 'Mechs grant a permanent bonus to c-bill earnings, Colors and Camo can be unlocked permanently. Everything else is temporary or can be purchased with more of your time. You know, the thing you spend in the game for entertainment.

#26 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:37 PM

I agree with the Assault Mastery pack. Stalker's have some nice variations in their builds, plus they're tough. Misery is a force to be reckoned with.

#27 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:01 PM

Stalker pack isn't bad, but a bunch of mech bays would have been great over the 50% off mechbay weekend. After that, I usually prefer to get Heroes on Sale, and grind up the rest, but the Stalker or Firestarter Mastery packages are both very good, and come with some of the best heroes in the game (The cataphphrat one is a ripoff, because of the overpriced 3D Champion, don't remember what the medium one was).

I'm sitting on a ton of MC after I got a ton of mech bays, waiting for sales, or might just keep my Premium time up (30 days is a good deal while being flexible, though make sure you don't schedule a vacation durring that time). Misery is one of my target heroes. Sparky and Arrow are others I'd consider as well (though I don't own any other Griffins or BJs), but Misery is a great mech I've been envious of for a while. I'm aiming for eventually a Hero in each category. I have all 4 phoenix mechs, but I like variety. Have Ember and Ilya so far, so need an Assault and a Medium. (and yes, I'll be getting the Atlas, King Crab, and Cent, but not interested in the Cent, and the other 2 are both 100 tonners)

#28 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:07 PM

wait for 50% sales on Hero mechs then get the ones you like. The Misery is great but I wouldn't spend MCs getting the standard variants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users