Language

52 replies to this topic

#41 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:38 PM

Not the kind of topic I would expect from a guy with 666 in his name...

:lol:

#42 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:49 PM

well done Kii XD

#43 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:54 PM

It's amazing how many people are opposed to this, considering just about every other MMO out there has punishment for toxic players.

In WoW, you can get banned for being a guild like Seraphim or ever speaking about anything religious in game. I was banned for telling someone I would pray for them. No joke.

LoL just announced recently that they would be instantly/perma banning people for being toxic. Smite has the same take on this.

I mean, sure those are different types of games but it's all the same really. Those games have a much more competitive community too that is recognized on a serious level. Not to mention, MWO has it's on CoC. It seems mostly targeted to the forums tho.

This morning, I was called 10 different names and told how I liked to feed on my own feces and bile. Why? Because I said, "oh well, I'll still have fun" when someone was complaining about the torso penalties for Clan mechs. Literally, all that was said.

Edited by Moonlander, 01 October 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#44 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:59 PM

there is always the possibility for a chatban \o/ wait.....

#45 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:13 PM

View Postoneproduct, on 01 October 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

How about the laws that govern us which are based on commonly accepted morals?

Tex. Penal Code Ann. §§ 42.01(a)(1), 49.02(a) (West Supp. 2007) concerning disorderly conduct. The statute provides: “a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly: (1) uses abusive, indecent, profane, or vulgar language in a public place.”

People have been ticketed for swearing in public places. You can look it up.

Public place is an actual real world area, not internet, conference call, radio transmission, etc.

#46 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:14 PM

View PostATTAKHAN666, on 01 October 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

Time for PGI to start banning I think, hate to suggest this but ingame language is getting out of hand, many children 10 and under watch these matches with dad or mum and those kids who do play don't need to read the stuff in lance or team comments, c'mon guys and girls lets moderate ourselves and not force PGI to do it for us, I understand your frustration about some aspects while ingame but let's keep this clean, use your facebook or twitter for that kind of language.
Concerned parent
ATTAKHAN666

Posted Image
I'm sorry OP but kids that young have no business watching violent video games, any parent that allows it is irresponsible.
And yes, i am a parent of a large family (6 kids with ages ranging from 5yrs to 16)so i think i'm qualified to make this statement.

*edit* And also herding cats is thankless work, sometimes you cant help but swear.

Edited by KharnZor, 01 October 2014 - 07:16 PM.

#47 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:07 PM

View PostATTAKHAN666, on 01 October 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

Time for PGI to start banning I think, hate to suggest this but ingame language is getting out of hand, many children 10 and under watch these matches with dad or mum and those kids who do play don't need to read the stuff in lance or team comments, c'mon guys and girls lets moderate ourselves and not force PGI to do it for us, I understand your frustration about some aspects while ingame but let's keep this clean, use your facebook or twitter for that kind of language.
Concerned parent
ATTAKHAN666

Out of curiosity, were you in solo or group queue?

#48 M0rpHeu5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 956 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:44 PM

I beleave that this game is 14+ or something. At 14 a kid is not so much a kid anymore so i'd say it ok. Of course i beleave that you should talk on the internt chat as you would talk to a person face to face and i report people that use offencive language but i do think the game needs censoring for kids couse simply it's not ment for them.

#49 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

I unleash my rage at the screen, then type constructive and helpful advice in the chat.

#50 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:13 PM

I've removed some attempts to bypass the word filter.... And the irony of me having to clean up the language, in a thread about cleaning up the language, was not lost.

Chat can be disabled, though, disabling your own team chat to avoid the profanities, might put you at a further disadvantage in communicating with your team.

#51 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:18 PM

oh Mal, that was funny and only an example D: ^^
well if you think a 14 year old teen doesnt know all the words already.... they do. you dont have to save them from bad words anymore^^
they abuse them even more than its good for them.

#52 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:53 PM

I understand bans on racist or hate speech. We don't need a hostile environment where bigots can spread their agenda. But silly profanity? I know there are rules that it's not to be used, and Battletech is very popular in the Bible belt, but I think people need to stop being so terrified by profanity. People are just fine with casual violence, but the moment someone lets out a curse, they shudder.

Words only have power when you give it to them.

#53 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:28 AM

There is no reason to use profanity in the game and no justification for it.

If you encounter a player using profanity or otherwise violating the rules for MWO, you can report the player to support@mwomercs.com.

In your report please include the following informations:
- name of offending player
- type of offense
- map played
- date, time and timezone

Additionally you can include the following:
- names of other players involved (witnesses)
- screenshots
- links to videos or other material that might be helpfull for the GMs.

Closing the thread!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users