Frame Rate Drops In Intense Combat

54 replies to this topic

#41 Rayne Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 115 posts
  • LocationVickers Mining Co. Trellshire Province, Lyran Commonwelth. Hollers, Derf

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:47 AM

it's good enough. I'm happy enough with my processor (it's new, had to replace a dead board, and decided to get new RAM and proc anyway) it's not ideal, but more of that is MWOs fault than is the fault of my proc. I'm also running a 670, not a 770 or 970, I'll be due for a graphics card upgrade soon, but waiting for Star Citizen for that.

#42 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:50 AM

A 670 is more than capable it is a strong card.

As to it being the fault of MWO yes and no; if the FX series architecture didn't share resources and it's single threaded performance was better it would compete well.

#43 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:58 AM

View PostGoose, on 07 October 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

:mellow: I know there's a few sub-steps in making use of this, but make use of this: http://www.tweakguid.../Crysis3_7.html
  • "Environment" = Volumetriceffects + Water + Shading
  • "Shading" = Quality

Great link. Thanks.

#44 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:46 PM

You guys are gonna laugh but I fixed my issues--it was RAM.

TOO MUCH RAM, if you can believe it. I took 32 gigs out leaving me with 32 gigs and now I run fine.

#45 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

OR you fouled up the memory settings when you had both kits installed.

There's this thing about not using two memory kits, ever, but I seem to get away with it …

#46 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

That's a fair point as it was not an 8 x 8 GB set. I had initially purchased a 4 x 8 GB set but didn't like leaving the 4 DIMMS open so bought another one.

However in my search on google for "3930k ASUS x79 sabertooth RAM" I found a post from intel stating that the 3930k did not support more than 32 GB.

#47 Rayne Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 115 posts
  • LocationVickers Mining Co. Trellshire Province, Lyran Commonwelth. Hollers, Derf

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

Very few boards support more than 32GB, my previous one was 16, this one is 32. I'm running 16 on it currently. MWO seems to like fast RAM. I noticed a good 10% FPS increase going from stock 1800ish to 2133 OC'd (I'm using AMD memory, and just enabled the AMP profile for my board).

#48 Harney

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:06 AM

Hi
I too am having issues
i like to have a constant 60 fps vsync but keeps dropping down to 45 fps it use to be fine when i last played ...i have tried different settings in game still no joy... Now Cpu does not exceed 50% and gpu does not exceed above 40% I will test by disabling HT

gtx 970 I7 4770k 16 gb ram

#49 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:15 AM

View PostHarney, on 08 October 2014 - 01:06 AM, said:

Hi
I too am having issues
i like to have a constant 60 fps vsync but keeps dropping down to 45 fps it use to be fine when i last played ...i have tried different settings in game still no joy... Now Cpu does not exceed 50% and gpu does not exceed above 40% I will test by disabling HT

gtx 970 I7 4770k 16 gb ram

You're never going to have a constant 60fps. You can get close with high overclocks on very expensive CPUs (eg the 5960x at 4.3-4.5 seems to perform very, very well), but currently no system in existence can achieve what you want. Yes, it's frusterating that very high-end systems can't achieve in MWO what they can elsewhere, but MWO also doesn't need a constant 60fps.

#50 Rayne Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:02 PM

View PostCatamount, on 08 October 2014 - 06:15 AM, said:

You're never going to have a constant 60fps. but MWO also doesn't need a constant 60fps.

Sadly, both of these points are true. I feel I get a pretty good consistent 40ish, with everything enabled, I could probably tweak it, lower shadows a bit, and maybe get it fairly consistent at 50-55, but..it's not bad. (How do you disable volumetric shadows anyway, and does that help caustic stop looking like pea soup?)

#51 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

Something I've always pondered is server lag and latency and how it can affect graphical performance.

In games that I play "offline" where I set teh frame limit to 60fps (60hz monitor and don't want any tearing) my computer will hold there with absolutely no variation.

However even with this fix like others have said a constant 60fps under any and all circumstances still isn't possible and I wonder how much of that can be because of latency or server side issues?

Last night after taking out the RAM I was on Terra Therma (usually a pretty bad offender) and I saw a blip or two into the mid 50s and that was it. I had a match after that on the new map and I never noticed it go below 60 but maybe I wasn't watching well enough and there was a momentary drop or two, who knows.

However my third match was on HPG manifold and the whole match from start to finish just seemed laggy and sluggish with very choppy movement bysome of the light mechs and my fps (as displayed in game by pressing f9) was between 35-45 the entire time.

#52 Lt Zwicka Greengold

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 10 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn NY

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

I read this and we all assume its our computers. I wonder if it is not something on the server or communication side that is slowing things down during heavy combat especially since the many are saying their play is choppy even at 30fps.

#53 J4ck4l

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:05 AM

Interesting points and advice in this thread guys. I am also suffering from fps drops on my build:

- AMD Phenom II Sixcore @ 4.0Ghrz
- 2x4 gig ram @ 1600 Mhrz
- AMD Radeon R9 280x 3Gb.
- Win 7
- Res 1080p

Would the advice for me then be: Get more and faster RAM aswell as look at CPU? As, GPU would be ok for MWO in theory?

View PostLt Zwicka Greengold, on 08 October 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

I read this and we all assume its our computers. I wonder if it is not something on the server or communication side that is slowing things down during heavy combat especially since the many are saying their play is choppy even at 30fps.

Either the above or some other sort of optimization/bug hasn't be done/found.
I remember some updates ago that when i would load a test map, with a dual LB10X jager build... high settings nothing ultra fancy, but a steady 50-60 fps. However, when zooming in on ground firing both LB10X would cause an enormous drop in frames, down to the low 20s. This was on a test map without anyother CPU intensive factors (projectiles, players what not)!! Just that double LB10X shot!
All those really heavy gaming rigs out here, be it Intel or AMD (ok i feel that MWO hates AMD more but that aside) which should fire out 75fps easily on a game like this. It just screams poor optimization to me. Which makes it so frustrating. Slapping another say 300USD for the good old gaming rig doesn't guarantee a decent or much improved FPS either. If i understand correctly best bet would buy the highest clockable CPU for that money.

#54 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:05 AM

dual LB10 on the ground is 20 projectiles fired and hit at pretty much the same time, cryengine is made for graphics, not hitdetection.

Could optimise by faking it I guess, 7 projectiles with 1.43 damage. 30% performance for freeee. Slippery slope though, go to far and you end up like battlefield.

Edited by Flapdrol, 16 October 2014 - 04:07 AM.

#55 Neput Z34

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 244 posts
  • Location...far away from a Land of my birth...

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:20 PM

You can also try increasing priority of MWOClient.exe*32 in task manager from normal to high, to limit the FPS drops. Just don't increase it to real time, it will crash on you.

If it won't let you, click on "show process form all users" in the bottom left corner, then try increasing priority.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users