Group Chain Firing: Extended

13 replies to this topic

Poll: Group Chain Fire (21 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think?

1. I like both ideas! (12 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. I like the chain fire amount idea. (6 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. I like the chain fire rate idea. (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

4. I dislike both ideas! (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

Currently, tapping mouse with a chain group allows you the semi-auto fire whatever weapons in the chain. Conversely, holding allows you to fire in order once the firing time of a weapon stops (Once one mlas beam ends, another begins)

To balance heat use with DPS, I suppose an additional layer of customizability.
Being to change both 1) The amount of weapons fired at once and 2) The rate at which they are fired.

The first is self explanatory.
If you have 6 mlas. You can chain link to fire twice at a time. Thus when holding down the fire button, 2 mlas fire, then the next 2, then the next 2, and so on.

The second is in regards to when the second volley of fire begins.
Thus, instead of a new volley firing after the previous one finishes, it may fire halfway into the first volley, 3/4 after, and so on. And, if you'd please, x2 after the firing volley.

Basically, say we have a hypothetical beam weapon that fires in shots of 2 seconds.
A chain rate of 0.5 makes it so that, 1 second into the first volley, another begins, and so on. Where as a chain rate of 2.0 makes the 2nd volley come 2 seconds after the first one ends. (2 x 2)-2=4
The 2 x 2 being the shot time times the rate
-2 being the time it takes for the first volley to end
Thus 2 seconds after the ending of the first volley, and 4 seconds after the beginning of it.

TL;DR
Allow us to change the amount of weapons fired at once in a chain, as well as the rate the next firing sequence begins.

#2 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:00 PM

Your math is wrong, but the idea is good. I'd say, given the complexity, this would be a mechlab feature, not a in-battle feature. (make the toggle chain-fire be a 3-way toggle... normal, chain, specific chain)

#3 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:52 AM

Part one sounds like the more advanced chain fire from the days of old and I miss it dearly.
Each chain basically had a fire order number that could be applied to each weapon within the chain. If weapons had a matched order number they fire simultaneously and then the next number cues up.

#4 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:08 PM

Its a shame nobody else chimed in..

#5 Eddrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:45 PM

Allow chain fire to be set however you want. Like, a macro. Which, would eliminate the purpose of even having a macro.

#6 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:32 AM

Nothing you mentioned here requires a new game mechanic. Want to fire 2 med lasers? Press the button twice. Want a longer delay? Don't press the button so often.

Ezpz.

#7 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:41 AM

View PostMaccasimus, on 08 October 2014 - 03:32 AM, said:

Nothing you mentioned here requires a new game mechanic. Want to fire 2 med lasers? Press the button twice. Want a longer delay? Don't press the button so often.

Ezpz.

I dont think you quite picked up the missing functionality of a better chain system. Yes six lasers on chain currently will fire sequentially and of course you can let them trickle out or you can multi-tap to tighten up the sequence. But, what you can not do in a single fire group is have those same six lasers fire in actual sequential sets.

A good fire control system can make a big difference in weapon malleability and heat management (of course its got heat management downsides as well[an accidental double tap firing the second bank as opposed to just the second laser]).

Six weapon groups each having six banks gives a lot more room for options that six single bank groups and still leaves available the option for pilots to ignore banks two through six thus mimicking the current system in place.

AKA: Still Ez, but much more Pz.

Edited by XphR, 08 October 2014 - 08:41 AM.

#8 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:03 PM

View PostMaccasimus, on 08 October 2014 - 03:32 AM, said:

Ezpz.

Not only will it make heat management consistent and easy, but have you ever held down your MGs and tried to tap your lasers repeatedly?
It doesn't work.

It literally does not function.
Hold any group down, and the rest of the groups are restricted to firing after the last one finishes.

#9 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:11 AM

Have you ever held down your MGs and tried to tap your lasers repeatedly?
It doesn't work.

Hold any group down, and the rest of the groups are restricted to firing after the last one finishes.

Ummmmmmm.......... No they aren't? You can definitely fire MG's in a group while chain firing lasers in another group. You can fire any group in any mode while firing any other group in any mode.

Yes you can....

Can!.....

You can ok I do it all the time in my Arrow!

Unless I'm misunderstanding.

#10 dillsOn

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • 60 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:27 AM

Come on guys... if you've played a nova prime you should know this is a necessary feature.... or a banshe.... let's get this in the game.

#11 happy mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:42 AM

View PostMaccasimus, on 10 October 2014 - 01:11 AM, said:

Ummmmmmm.......... No they aren't? You can definitely fire MG's in a group while chain firing lasers in another group. You can fire any group in any mode while firing any other group in any mode.

Yes you can....

Can!.....

You can ok I do it all the time in my Arrow!

Unless I'm misunderstanding.

one group, not two groups

#12 dillsOn

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • 60 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:31 AM

View PostBurktross, on 08 October 2014 - 02:03 PM, said:

Not only will it make heat management consistent and easy, but have you ever held down your MGs and tried to tap your lasers repeatedly?
It doesn't work.

Sounds like you should get a different mouse/keyboard or motherboard that can support more "keystrokes"

#13 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:03 AM

View Postdkcc85, on 08 May 2015 - 07:31 AM, said:

Sounds like you should get a different mouse/keyboard or motherboard that can support more "keystrokes"

It has nothing to do with the hardware. The game receives it, but interprets it as if I was holding down the button, not tapping.

#14 dillsOn

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • 60 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

Hnn well I have no problem with this sort of thing, I can chain fire my 12 small lasers while blasting away with the 4 machine guns, no waiting/stalling or wierd things happening, just 4 machine guns blazing and lasers tickling. These chain-fire posts are going to be ressurected every week until this feature is added to the game. It's supposed to be in the game, I think it was on a footnote on the last page of "How to make MWO: An instructional Guide" .... some how the developers just forgot to put it in.

Edited by dkcc85, 09 May 2015 - 02:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users