12 replies to this topic

#1 Priest4357

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:24 AM

Every few matches (always at the first one), the video locks up in the game, but the game is still running. You can hear it.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del, and open the task manager, then click back on game, and it starts working again. It's just really annoying since I can't defend myself while it's happening.

Had it happen with nothing going on around me, in the middle of fights, etc... I've updated to the latest nVidia Drivers, and no help.

8GB of Ram
nVidia GeForce GTX 660
Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4GHz
Win 7 Home Premium, 64 bit.

No issues like this with any other game I play.

#2 Illicit Activitie

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:19 AM

I have the same problem and after the game pach a new problem has started the game just up and closed on me now

#3 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:58 AM

Greetings all,

As suggested by the Dev.'s.

Uninstall the video drivers and restart, do a clean fresh install of the video drivers.
- Insure that it's a clean install from the 'advanced' tab on the install selection.
(note, if you don't use or run any 3d monitor aspects of the video drivers, just install the basic video only. Sound driver optional but Physicx driver should also be installed.)

Also check your video settings in the control panel, Nvidia has a few new features that are set at a default setting.
- All of the 'manage 3D settings' are going to be reset, so you'll need to re-enable them to what your capable of running.
- This is where conflict concerns between the video and MWO settings may be problematic, ie: have different settings for the same option. (just check to make sure.)

See here:
Hey everyone,
- With today's release of the 344.48 driver set across a wide range of the NVIDIA GPU line (including a DX11 SLI profile for MWO), it would be excellent if anyone who had been experiencing screen freezes under the previous driver sets could provide me with some feedback on their performance under the latest set.
- I strongly recommend running a manual install of these drivers (as opposed to updating through GeForce Experience), ensuring that you select the Custom install -> Perform a clean installation options.
Nvidia drivers link: http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Side note: (screen freezing and Fread errors)
Hey everyone,
- Apologies for the inconvenience. The Fread errors specifically are usually due to some file corruption as a result of the patching process, so a run (or two) of the Repair Tool located in the \MechWarrior Online\Bin32 file should knock that error out.
- In the meantime, I'm currently looking into the more general crashes.

See if this helps and post a reply,
9erRed

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:56 AM

I used to get this a lot with my old PC, seemed to be an issue with the video display driver crashing (hence the game audio is still running!) which may or may not have been due to the GPU throttling down when it should have stayed up.

Some users have reported setting their PC or GPU power settings to "high performance" instead of the default, and I personally had some success with underclocking my GPU (lower FPS overall but it didn't have display driver crashes nearly as often)

#5 SpOoKy777

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 148 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:35 AM

I had this problem from the beginning (Open Beta)...

I stated this before in another thread...despite what people say, I'm quite sure the problem lies somewhere between Nvidia's driver and the Cryengine itself...

I have two systems with Nvidia cards...a GTX 760 (factory overclocked) and a GTX 560 (also factory oc'd)...
On both systems I get the same error in MWO and generally in Cryengine based games...

Every time the error occurs, a display error is written in the windows event log...

So I got MSI Afterburner and clocked both cards down as much as the software allows by default, basically revert the factory oc...Tadaaa...90% less lockups...it is worth a try...

From time to time it happens again, it seems it comes and goes with patches...but no errors in the event log...maybe there is a different problem causing a similar symptom, at least the nvidia error is gone...

#6 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostSpOoKy777, on 23 October 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

So I got MSI Afterburner and clocked both cards down as much as the software allows by default, basically revert the factory oc...Tadaaa...90% less lockups...it is worth a try...

You shouldn't need to clock down quite that much, but every time I've ever seen the display driver crashing, it has been fixed by down-clocking the GPU. Some cards can't handle the factory or user-set overclock on all games, and some cards that originally could handle it develop instability as they age.

#7 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

So far the video lock where the audio continues playing only happens when I'm in The Mining Collective map. Outside of that map it doesn't happen much if at all. I've ran the repair tool after every patch update and adjusted my video settings both in game and out. So far it doesn't happen as often as it did before but it's still annoying when it happens.

I run a Windows 7 system so all I do is hit Alt + Tab to minimize the window then bring it back to full screen and everything's fine for the rest of the battle.

#8 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:38 PM

Hi Razor,

Can you confirm that you've had the freeze occur as of today's patch?

#9 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hello, Alexander Garden!

I haven't logged in yet today but if I experience the video lock issue I'll be sure to report it. Currently I have my NVidia card set to 'Let the 3D application decide' as I heard that normally resolves a lot of conflicting issues. There was also a graphics driver update today with NVidia and I did a 'clean install' as a mwomercs post suggested/recommended too. Also found the mwo repairtool in the patch window and it didn't find any errors so I'm guessing I'm good there.

That latest video lock issue happened sometime over the weekend or even yesterday (Monday) before the latest patch update by the way for the record.

View PostAlexander Garden, on 18 November 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

Hi Razor,

Can you confirm that you've had the freeze occur as of today's patch?

#10 Raziberry

• PipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:03 PM

This problem for me is rare, but always resolves once I hit Alt+Tab, and go back into the game.

#11 Captain Blanton

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:10 AM

I have the exact same issue.
I used to be able to ctrl+alt+del into task mgr, then back into game to fix, but as of the recent patches, it just locks up and I have to close the game & reopen.
Mining Collective crashes every time with other crashes on random maps at random times.

Also running a GTX 760.

View PostSpOoKy777, on 23 October 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

I have two systems with Nvidia cards...a GTX 760 (factory overclocked) and a GTX 560 (also factory oc'd)...

Spooky, I am curious what OC 760 you have?

#12 RazarG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 140 posts
  • LocationGrandside, Sydney

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

Im starting to get this issue again. Ill try an uninstall and re-install of VC drivers before whinging again.

#13 starwolf1991

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNo Data Available

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:34 AM

The exact same issues have been happening to me. It didnt use to happen until the most recent patch and no amount of alt-tabbing or bringing up task manager will get the game back on track. I have clean installed the latest Nvidia 347.09 drivers at least twice and run the repair tool a few times too to check for errors. I have also tried DX11 mode versus running on DX9, which made the issue worse rather than improve it. For information's sake, these are my hardware specs:

AMD FX™-4100 Quad-Core Processor 3.60 GHZ
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 Motherboard
Nvidia 550 GTX Ti 1 Gig DDR5
Kingston 8 Gig DDR3 Ram

Edit: Not sure what I did, but I've somehow managed to get it to a relatively more stable level. I will try to backtrack, replicate my steps and see what comes up.

Edited by starwolf1991, 19 January 2015 - 02:56 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users