Setting Fps Cap

11 replies to this topic

#1 MetalBacon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPlanet Dirt

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:25 PM

Hello, I'm getting anywhere from 100-150 fps in game. After about a match or two I'm starting to get some coil whine on my gpu. Nothing to worry about, but it does bug me. I want to limit the fps and get a rock steady 60 at all times. Now I've tried setting the user.cfg file at 60 using this command "sys_MaxFPS = 60' buuuut for whatever reasin it caps the game at 50. Scratching my head for a sec, I went back and edited that number to 70 and ended up with WILD fluctiuations in game, dipping as far as 30. I don't understand why the game REFUSES to just be set at 60.

Specs for reference;

I5 quad @3.5
Gtx 760 OC 5% 2g of Vram
8ram

This is seriously pissing me off.

#2 Nation Uprise

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

Finally someone else has mentioned this. I recently tried capping the framerate to 30fps because I drop drastically from 60fps sometimes and the change is jarring. However, in game it gets capped at 21.7fps. Then I tried a 50, 60 and 70fps cap, and it always stays at 32fps. So something is definitely wrong with the "sys_maxfps" command. If you want to keep a consistent 60fps I suggest you enable "V-sync." It'll set your frame rate to your monitor refresh rate.

#3 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:05 PM

So:
sys_budget_fps = 70
sys_MaxFPS = 70
are the two case sensitive strings for your user.cfg that get $#!@ done; We've seen "sys_budget_fps" work on an ATI card that was ignoring "sys_MaxFPS"

If both are ignored, the fall back(s) are to try RivaTuner Statistics Server, which comes with Afterburner and PrecisionX, and is card-agnostic, or else you want ether nVidia Inspector, on the one hand, or RadeonPro, for the other.

Now:
  • I've seen RTSS run up one of my CPU cores when setting a limit
  • RadeonPro is no longer being developed, but the guy is around, doing something useful
  • Inspector is really just exposing driver commands that are hidden in nVidia Contol Pannel, so if you are facing the nVidia drivers bug about fps limits with V-Sync on, Inspector is not a bypass
  • PrecisionX, as of version 5.whatever might not use RTSS, disqualifying it from this discussion
On V-Sync:
d3d10_TripleBuffering = 1
d3d11_TripleBuffering = 1
d3d9_TripleBuffering = 1
is madatory, as the switch in the nVidia driver is for OpenGL. You could also force triple buffering with DirectX Overrider, and it even seems to work, but it's not in support anymore, and only came with copies of the original RivaTuner.

nVidia's Adaptive V-Sync is kind'a nice, but you have to turn V-Sync off in the game, but On/ Forced On/ Adaptive in the driver.

Edited by Goose, 19 October 2014 - 11:02 AM.

#4 Nation Uprise

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:44 PM

Wow, that's a lot of useful info. I'll see if I can tweak some stuff with this. Thanks.

#5 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:14 PM

View PostMetalBacon, on 11 October 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

Hello, I'm getting anywhere from 100-150 fps in game. After about a match or two I'm starting to get some coil whine on my gpu. Nothing to worry about, but it does bug me. I want to limit the fps and get a rock steady 60 at all times. Now I've tried setting the user.cfg file at 60 using this command "sys_MaxFPS = 60' buuuut for whatever reasin it caps the game at 50. Scratching my head for a sec, I went back and edited that number to 70 and ended up with WILD fluctiuations in game, dipping as far as 30. I don't understand why the game REFUSES to just be set at 60.

Specs for reference;

I5 quad @3.5
Gtx 760 OC 5% 2g of Vram
8ram

This is seriously pissing me off.

So vsync itself doesn't work I take it?

#6 MetalBacon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPlanet Dirt

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

I steer away from V-sync. Not many know what it does or how it works, I do however know that it pretty much renders another image behind an existing one essentially doubling your gpu load. Most games use this technique to avoid screen tearing, but I'd rather see a little tear here and there. Not worth the extra load.

#7 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:08 PM

Wat

#8 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:04 AM

View PostMetalBacon, on 18 October 2014 - 05:26 PM, said:

I steer away from V-sync. Not many know what it does or how it works, I do however know that it pretty much renders another image behind an existing one essentially doubling your gpu load. Most games use this technique to avoid screen tearing, but I'd rather see a little tear here and there. Not worth the extra load.

Yeah that's not *really* how it works. Just try turning on vsync in your graphics driver, not in-game first. It's not going to load your GPU more than running flat-out.

Edited by Fierostetz, 22 October 2014 - 11:06 AM.

#9 MetalBacon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPlanet Dirt

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:01 PM

That's the thing though, with every game to date starting from when I bought the gpu, First game I played was deadspace. Load up game, wtfisthislagbullshit.jpg. Slow mouse and camera motion and poor fps. Disable v-sync and game runs flawlessly. This has been the case for most games installed on my pc. Save for maybe dota2 and a couple indie games. V-sync in mwo just murders my fps and all mouse control goes out the window. It feels like some tech overlubed all the gears in my mech and it sliiiiides into positions instead of readily snapping into them.

#10 MetalBacon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPlanet Dirt

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:07 PM

I also set fps cap at 80. Now the drop starts at 50 fps and stays there as long as the cockpit stays stationary. Upon any movement or action, depends on how loaded with effects, the fps spikes UP to 80. Especially when swinging upper torso from side to side in brawls the fps rises. I guess that's no too bad, I just don't understand why I can't get a locked 60.

#11 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:23 PM

And you are setting triple-buffering how?

#12 MetalBacon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPlanet Dirt

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:58 PM

Weird thing, whenever I have another program running on desktop while playing like firefox or skype, the cap takes full effect. I guess that's one solution lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users