We're Making Giant Mech Combat Into An Actual National Sport!

34 replies to this topic

#21 o0cipher0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:08 AM

As i recall (i may well be wrong) the next prototype should be a four legged mech, soo, definitely a walking mech. I can see why they chose to build the first prototype on tracks, it's easier to get the job done, less stress on the propulsion system, and, last but not least, it doesn't need a stabilization system, making it easier, faster and cheaper to build a demonstration prototype to show the idea.

#22 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:29 PM

i think you need to learn about real mechanical engineering

#23 XphR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:59 PM

Landwalker is a roller skater(and think a few bottle caps could functionally stop its forward motion), Kuratas is also a bit of a let down (they should not have worried so much about smartphone integration[and stuck with the original multifunction control interface{I think they feared it would be too complex to lean to operate}]) it needed a smarter (and faster) hydraulic system. It is basically a gussied up warehouse loader. I had also hoped the Megabots would not have been handled the way they were but it was kind of obvious they were not ready to walk.

Neat idea, bad execution. Something like this needs to start with a working walking platform and then be build up into play fighting machines. I disagree with them on thinking people would not be interested if they were externally piloted. As for using a pilot and gunner, I believe that to be unnecessary. I give them props for trying.. just wish they would have spent more time in alternate directions.

#24 GonaDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:10 AM

There go my hopes fo a REAL mech.It's not a mech.It's just a tank with mech torso.

#25 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:04 PM

no you do need to learn on it its not as easy as just build it if you want real mechs we are going to more likely then not have a long run of very simple mechs / tank walkers if you prefer mostly do to the limits of current technology and ill guarantee that the first mechs that walk are going to be quad legged for balancing reasons

#26 Rwraith

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:42 AM

Personally I think it's cool and can't wait to see the battle. As for walking, they have a difficult enough time getting a midget robot to walk correctly let alone a 20 ton mech. You have to crawl before you walk, this is a good first step.

#27 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:56 AM

Its currently at six tons.

#28 RobotTwo

Rookie

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:15 PM

Can we add the Megabot MkII to MWO?

#29 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:43 PM

Make it happen Gunther and folks. I hope you one day can somehow make legs work on your machines, bibedal like with battle and omnimechs in the Battletech universe. One important thing for the legs and even arms (and the torso twist) Myomers have real - life counter part, but I forgot what it was called. Yet it will be expensive, though I do hope you get support and money to make as much out of your project as possible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users