14 replies to this topic

#1 Glamdring

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:03 AM

I personally think the current prevalence of dual gauss is ridiculous. Buff the gauss rifle if you must, reduce the cooldown, or reduce the charge mechanic. Do whatever you must to keep the weapon viable, but remove the ability to fire two gauss rifles simultaneously. I understand that PGI is sticking to a 30 damage pinpoint rule, but the dual gauss can put that 30 damage instantly on a specific section of the mech at nearly 2k range with non volatile ammunition and zero heat build up. Many of the maps are barely that long across. It renders every single other method of reaching that 30 pinpoint alpha pointless. Popping up for 2 seconds to try and see what the enemy team is doing at the beginning of a match and getting a crit right torso for your trouble is not fun. Getting headshot at the start of the match is not fun. The dual gauss meta imo is far more frustrating than the ppc ac5 poptarts ever were.

PGI, please make gauss rifles only fire one at a time.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:20 AM

View PostGlamdring, on 19 October 2014 - 08:03 AM, said:

I personally think the current prevalence of dual gauss is ridiculous. Buff the gauss rifle if you must, reduce the cooldown, or reduce the charge mechanic. Do whatever you must to keep the weapon viable, but remove the ability to fire two gauss rifles simultaneously. I understand that PGI is sticking to a 30 damage pinpoint rule, but the dual gauss can put that 30 damage instantly on a specific section of the mech at nearly 2k range with non volatile ammunition and zero heat build up. Many of the maps are barely that long across. It renders every single other method of reaching that 30 pinpoint alpha pointless. Popping up for 2 seconds to try and see what the enemy team is doing at the beginning of a match and getting a crit right torso for your trouble is not fun. Getting headshot at the start of the match is not fun. The dual gauss meta imo is far more frustrating than the ppc ac5 poptarts ever were.

PGI, please make gauss rifles only fire one at a time.

If you're going to cry about something, don't exaggerate: It makes your whole post look like baseless QQ.

Dual gauss is not putting 30 points of damage on a target 2km distant instantly. At 2km, it does zero damage. In fact, at 1km it's only doing 22 damage... and then it's taking half a second to hit. Doesn't sound long, but .5s is still a substantial time for projectiles.

You're NOT headshotting someone at match start with just dual gauss.

#3 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:15 AM

I suggest making a single Gauss Rifle have no de-sync charge-up. I think players could suffer just one Gauss Rifle or the game is in really bad shape. Really. What this change would do is virtually eliminate dual Gauss configured mechs, some would still try the 2xGauss, but they would sort of fade away too. Of course they might pair it with an AC20, but the AC20 is so slow I don't think they could ever both hit a moving mech at once.

Anyway, if the above idea of a single Gauss with no de-sync breaks MWO the problem is elsewhere.

#4 Glamdring

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:20 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 19 October 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

I suggest making a single Gauss Rifle have no de-sync charge-up. I think players could suffer just one Gauss Rifle or the game is in really bad shape. Really. What this change would do is virtually eliminate dual Gauss configured mechs, some would still try the 2xGauss, but they would sort of fade away too. Of course they might pair it with an AC20, but the AC20 is so slow I don't think they could ever both hit a moving mech at once.

Anyway, if the above idea of a single Gauss with no de-sync breaks MWO the problem is elsewhere.

Yeah, eliminating the dual gauss is the idea. Pair it with something else. Dual gauss is ridiculous. Anybody who's not an idiot can see that it's overpowered simply by how prevalent it is in the game. If 3 to 4 mechs on each team are dual gauss almost every match, then it's pretty obviously a problem, especially considering how few mechs can even run it.

Edited by Glamdring, 19 October 2014 - 09:22 PM.

#5 pwnface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:48 PM

I think dual gauss is just fine where it is. ERPPCs aren't really that good for long range engagements anymore, removing the ability to use dual gauss will shift long range balance toward ERLL even more.

#6 Glamdring

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:53 PM

Wintersdark,

Who's crying? Headshots in the first minute of the game are rare, and only possible on certain maps, but yes, you absolutely can be headshot extremely early in the game, having never fired your weapons. I've seen it. So spare me your snarky snotty attitude. When it does happen, it's about 95% luck. But none of that is important, and it wasn't the crux of my argument. Look man, I get that you enjoy playing sniper in COD, and you want to bring that experience to mechwarrior, but that is never what mechwarrior has been, and definitely not what it should be. I think the dual gauss is overpowered, and the evidence is how common it has become in game. If you disagree, try and be respectful while you explain why. Don't be a **** for no reason. Fewer of the people who know you in real life will secretly hate you if you can take this advice to heart.

Edited by Glamdring, 19 October 2014 - 09:54 PM.

#7 Glamdring

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:57 PM

I guarantee all the people who have no problem with the dual gauss are the ones exploiting it. Everybody else hates it.

#8 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:17 AM

Dual Gauss is very strong in competent/skilled hands.
There are a lot of players unable to use Gauss because of the charge mechanic.
There are enough players that can use the Gauss in all ranges.

If the charge would be removed, everyone could use the Gauss for brawling and sniping more than twice as easily as now.
The fact that dual Gauss is so great and gets used by Jaegermechs, Phracts and Direwolves comes from the fact that it's cool, very fast and requires only a bit training (charge and lead time).

A Jaegermech or a Phract with XL engine is very volatile glass cannon, while the Direwolf is very slow, but can add another 30+ damage with PPC or lasers easily.

But what is the actual problem with these mechs?
Compared to the PPC-Meta that could be used on any mech that could fit 2 PPCs, the mechs and builds are restricted and have some downsided.
The Problem is that you need to focus a target that is a threat to get it out of the battle early.
If you keep an SRM medium or a LRM boat un-handled, you will also lose your mechs fast.

Primary targets, teamwork and movement is more important to beat certain teams/builds than a change to the weapon or build.
Sure, we had to nerf PPCs to stop the 20 months of meta, but the Gauss is pretty balanced.
Fast and cool vs very heavy and volatile. With explosive weapon (compared to ammo) you have to protect your weapon arms, or you are prone to explosion.

#9 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:40 AM

What I don't like is that the de-sync makes the Gauss Rifle a Mouse-only weapon since the feature is the same action as drag and drop files. If you say otherwise you are not being honest. It's also from a third person shooter, never intended for MechWarrior. So the fix for 2x or 3x Gauss is to just drop the de-sync for a single Gauss Rifle.

Edited by Lightfoot, 20 October 2014 - 03:40 AM.

#10 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:58 AM

imho, gauss is a borken weapon by balance.

imagine we would have a AC 15 with this characteristics.
yes it has ac 20 weight and slots, but yet it has what heat compared to AC 10 and ac 20?
what range compared and projectile speed compared to AC 5 and AC 10? What cooldown?

sure it CAN explode but thats hardly a reason why someone does NOT choose it. Basically its an upgrade of a AC 10 to give it some wonder stats that are a bit off balance. Sure it has soem charge mechanics, but in a game where we are supposed to poaint lasers on a target for roughly 1s or longer, what is that charge time? A joke.

And having 2 ac 15's of that kind is truly a bit of an issue. Especially with the clanners arriving having additional weaponry to these rifles. Dual gauss jeager had at leats too sacrifice in their laodout. Cata as well. Especially TBR and DW's are kinda a big issue with dual gauss.

Edited by Lily from animove, 20 October 2014 - 04:00 AM.

#11 Jeffrey Wilder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:28 AM

Frankly, I don't mind if enemy mechs have 2x or even 3x Gauss.

You know what's the next best thing?

Getting shot in the back by a stupid whale with 3x Gauss at the start of a match. Encountered that at least twice and the result is I start the round without my right or left arm.

#12 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

Dual Gauss Mechs are already penalized by the fact that they can't carry much else besides their Gauss Rifles (excluding Daishi, of course). Get used to it and deal with it. The rifles have a slow rate of fire and a very high crit chance. When critted, they explode just like an ammo explosion. Out of more than fifty Mechs, only my Daishis can mount double Gauss, and they are so difficult to use that they do not need additional nerfing.

On top of that, dual Gauss Mechs are canonical, so PGI isn't doing anything wrong by enabling us to run such Mechs. The Behemoth comes stock with four.

If you're going to be a Griefer and whine, try to do it about something worthwhile like fixing game bugs. The last thing we need right now are more weapon nerfs.

View PostGlamdring, on 19 October 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

I guarantee all the people who have no problem with the dual gauss are the ones exploiting it. Everybody else hates it.

Well now, talk about your generalizations!

#13 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts
  • LocationInside a straightjacket

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:36 PM

Quad gauss, or double gauss/double ppc dire wolves are certainly cheap, and are usually piloted by chronic masturbaters.

But I don't mind double gauss Jagers or cataphracts. They don't have enough firepower to really defend themselves in a close quarters fight, not indefinitely anyway. Also, I like it when people call me a hacker because I splatter their pilot with my double gauss, because they were standing still. Without max head armor, they just pop, most satisfying kills you will ever make.

#14 Ariana Rifkin

• PipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:26 AM

It's getting really annoying. 30% of my deaths are from gauss because it's the flavor of the month.
Oh boy, some jerk got a lucky shot at my Right Rear torso and blew out my XL engine...now I get to wait 10 minutes to use it again.

#15 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:18 AM

In defense of Dual Gauss

-We already received a nerf via. the charge mechanic
-We already received a nerf via. the 'no charging more than two at a time' mechanic
-I believe we already received a velocity nerf
-You can safely assume that any mech carrying dual Gauss has an XL engine, so aim for the side torso.
-You can safely assume that any mech carrying dual Gauss has little to NO other weaponry
-If it's a CPLT-K2, get up close, the dual Gauss is in the torsos, and they won't have the mobility to return fire effectively.
-If it's a Jagermech, it's probably really slow. Shoot the massive side torso. Even if you destroy just an arm, that Gauss Rifle explosion will damage the side torso (and thus, the XL engine)
-If you come out from behind cover and get hit by a dual gauss build, don't pop back out of the same cover. (This happens a lot, and is rather bad piloting_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users