Zeus! & How Blazers(Binary Laser Cannons) May Not Suck!

27 replies to this topic

Poll: Zeus! & How Blazers(Binary Laser Cannons) May Not suck! (90 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree with this Addition?

1. Yes, Like Idea (66 votes [74.16%])

Percentage of vote: 74.16%

2. No, Dont like (23 votes [25.84%])

Percentage of vote: 25.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:45 PM

so we all know the Zeus is coming,
and possibly the Blazer(Binary Laser Cannon),

so how can it be added as a viable weapon,
useful in this game where it was less so in TT,
(note this is a InterSphere Only Weapon)

My Idea,
Blazer(Binary Laser Cannon)
Weapon....................Damage,..Heat,..Burn,..recharge,..Range,..Max Range,..Tons,..Crit*,
Binary Large Cannon..16...........13......1.6.........4.............450.........900.............9........4.
=as opposed to=
Weapon....................Damage,..Heat,..Burn,..recharge,..Range,..Max Range,..Tons,..Crit*,
Large Laser...................9............7........1........3.25..........450...........900.............5.......2.
ER Large Laser,............9............8......1.25.....3.25..........675..........1350............5.......2
Large Pulse Laser,.......11...........7......0.65.....3.25..........365...........730.............7.......2.
PPC,.............................10..........10.......0..........4...........90-540......1080.............7.......3.
ER PPC,.......................10..........15.......0..........4.............810..........1620............7.......3.
*Crit- as in Crit-Space,

as you can see by having a short beam time it can be useful,
as well as its 13.6 damage making it the most powerful IS weapon,
this would make it a Viable InterSphere Medium-Long range Sniping weapon,
having as much heat as an ER-PPC will make it less abuse-able per constant firing,
where as its weight and Crit-Space would make PPC and ER-PPC still Viable,
and having a burn similar to the LPL, both would work well together,

all in all making the Blazer a large and heavy yet Viable,
Medium-Long range burst beam Sniping weapon,

=for those thinking it will suck=
CAT-K2 +2BLC = CAT Ghost Sniper!
(the LPL+2AC10(ammo)= 1BLC)

all values here for the Blazer can change
as per PGI and MWO,

Thoughts, Comments, Concerns?
Thanks

Edit- Changed Stats,
Edit2- Added PPC/ER-PPC/ER-LL,
Edit3- Added Weapon Weight/Crit-Space,
Edit4- CAT-K2 Exmple & Smurfy Mech Link,
Edit5- BLC Stat change(as per MWO LL),
Edit6- Stats updated(weapons updated),
Edit7- Stats updated(weapon Quirks),

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 11 January 2015 - 09:37 AM.

#2 Rhent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:08 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 20 October 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

so we all know the Zeus is coming,
and possibly the Blazer(Binary Laser Cannon),

so how can it be added as a viable weapon,
useful in this game where it was less so in TT,
(note this is a InterSphere Only Weapon)

My Idea,
Blazer(Binary Laser Cannon)
Binary Large Cannon..12.6........16......0.4.........4.............450..........900..............9........4.
=as opposed to=
Large Laser...................9............7........1........3.25..........450...........900.............5.......2.
ER Large Laser,............9............8......1.25.....3.25..........675..........1350............5.......2
Large Pulse Laser,......10.6.........8.......0.6......3.25..........350...........700.............7.......2.
PPC,.............................10..........10.......0..........4...........90-540......1080.............7.......3.
ER PPC,.......................10..........15.......0..........4.............810..........1620............7.......3.
*Crit- as in Crit-Space,

as you can see by having a short beam time it can be useful,
this would make it a Viable InterSphere Medium-Long range Sniping weapon,
having more heat than the ER-PPC will make it less abuse-able per constant firing,
where as its weight and Crit-Space would make PPC and ER-PPC still Viable,

all in all making the Blazer a large and heavy yet Viable,
Medium-Long range burst beam Sniping weapon,

all values here for the Blazer can change
as per PGI and MWO,

Thoughts, Comments, Concerns?
Thanks

Edit- Changed Stats,
Edit2- Added PPC/ER-PPC/ER-LL,
Edit3- Added Weight/Crit-Space,

Do I like the idea on burn time, yes. Would I ever use it, NO.

#3 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:32 PM

This is a game about customization. And this adds a viable option. Will it be better for everything? No. But there are some mechs that would SHINE with it. the CDA-3C being the key one. A high damage, good range weapon that's not a PPC. And does better potential damage.

I would further propose both the Atlas D and DDC might use it too... one on each arm for a HEAVY punch.

Regardless, never look at this as a weapon to take if you have two Energy Hardpoints and can do ANYTHING to get the extra ton and have 2 LLs. It's not for that. This is for when you have one HP left, or only 9 tons. When you take it like that you get something interesting, different, and frankly potentially even scary. Even at the same burn time. It should certainly be scaled to current MWO stats in the same way it is in the TT. But adding this adds a new weapon, potentially creating a lot of new builds for 1 Energy HP mechs.

#4 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:34 AM

Thats going on my Vindicator. And the shoulder of my Dragon. And the laser arm of my Centurion. And.....

#5 Alwrathandabout42ninjas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:14 AM

I think it should have more range too. Maybe something like this :

Damage 16 ( still 2 short of 2 LL ) Heat 14 Burn 0.9 sec recharge 3.5 range 575 max range 1150

Edited by Alwrath, 21 October 2014 - 08:15 AM.

#6 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:10 PM

The Blazer would have a use case in certain mechs. For example, heavy and assault mechs with limited energy slots but excess tonnge. It would allow them to beef up their energy weapon complement at the cost of reduced damage (compared to 2X LLas)

#7 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:52 PM

View Postknightsljx, on 23 October 2014 - 04:10 PM, said:

The Blazer would have a use case in certain mechs. For example, heavy and assault mechs with limited energy slots but excess tonnge. It would allow them to beef up their energy weapon complement at the cost of reduced damage (compared to 2X LLas)

Exactly. So far the main argument I've seen against Blazers in the few threads that have been around? "It's worse than 2 LLs, why take it?" And in the Board Game... that's exactly the case. But MWO has Hard Points, and that changes things a lot, as I said above. So bring on the Blazers! Give the IS a weapon that canonically existed at this point, even if not common (Certainly no less common than most of the crazy Mech designs we come up with, and probably more common at that, not to mention the whole every viable build having at least DHS and likely Endo and FF in many cases is almost unheard of in this era for the IS, so why not Blazers?)

#8 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:12 PM

Dude, if they added this weapon to the game, it would literally make my day (and maybe even prompt an MC purchase ;) ), although tbh I would like to see some other weapons added as well, like the SN-PPC. :) (After all, Kerensky's Orion was supposed to have one, not a standard PPC :P )

#9 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:57 AM

Somewhere in between ERLL and LL range, with short burn time would be great.

Stats that would make it useful IMO would be.

Binary Large Cannon..14.0.......14.5.....0.6.........4.............525..........950..............9........3.

#10 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:23 PM

Um, yes please.

#11 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:09 PM

I'm not so knowledgable about TT, but you had me at "Blazer"

#12 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:19 AM

Make it 10 tons and 16 heat like the TT version, and you have me sold...anything to prevent this becoming a laser-powered version of the "dualgauss/dualac/20" noob-meta.

I like options and variety, but...this kind of addition has a huge potential to **** up the balance of what's already here.

#13 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:48 PM

I like the idea of the Zeus...classic Steiner mech, I love it.

But why must we add the freaking Blazer?! Not a fan. At. All.

*Edited to add, that that sounded harsher than I intended, and is in no way directed at the OP or at fans of the weapon system, and is simply directed at the weapon system...directly. :P

Edited by Rip Snorgan, 05 November 2014 - 07:50 PM.

#14 BlackDeathLegion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:26 PM

I love this idea for a new weapon and ONLY for inner sphere mechs!

But, I would change damage from 13 UP to 15!!! (to compete with Clan ERPPCs)
And ONLY (1) ONE can be fired at a time to AVOID GHOST HEAT penalty.

#15 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:24 PM

well i would use blazers if they where added and i trust pgi to balance then vs other weapons

#16 Cabbage Merchant

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 69 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:09 AM

I may not end up using it, but I am always for increasing customization potential.

#17 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:49 PM

View PostCabbage Merchant, on 05 December 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

I may not end up using it, but I am always for increasing customization potential.

very true and a good point even if you dont use it some one will

#18 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:03 PM

I would want the Blazer to stand out more beyond hardpoint usage and a normal laser. cER-PPC-style splash would make it interesting.

14 heat, 13 direct damage, 1.5 splash damage to every adjacent locations.

#19 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:37 AM

Really would like the Binary - but as in TT it should be a weapon with more drawbacks.
So strictly spoken - it should be a better choice to have two large lasers rather than a single binary.

and while two large lasers hit the same spot - you need a weapon that deal 150% damage of a single Large Laser - for the heat of two large lasers.

so as your math already shows: 13.5dmg vs 14 heat at 1 second burn - not a good choice in comparison with 2 MWO LLAS
so - yes right reduce the burn time - and increase the heat (resulting in more damage per tic/ms) for much more overheating.

Good idea - approved

#20 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:55 AM

I really would like to see the Binary.

The challenge is to have a weapon that gives you only a slight advantage over two LLAS - with horrible drawbacks.
So its even little bit more complex in MWO rather than in TT - because 2 LLAS will hit the same spot.

So for 2 times the heat the binary does 150% the damage of a single large laser - but blank figures:
13.5dmg and 14 heat - for 9t and 4 crits is - only a good idea for mechs with a single energy hardpoint.

So I think the idea of a reduced burn duration - so more damage per tic/ms is really a good one - but its important to increase the heat again.
so simple math - if two large laser deal 0.018dmg / ms - a binary should deal more lets say again 150% 0.027dmg / ms
that means we have a burn duration of 0.5 seconds

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users