#1 BTone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 160 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:19 AM

Hey Guys,

I put together this AS7-S build a couple days ago, and honestly, am pleasantly surprised by its success. Even though I've lost all the matches I've entered, it's important to note I was the last man standing on my team in all matches, and dealt significant damage over the course of the game across all range brackets, and averaged 1 kill per game. (Not great normally, but under the circumstance, it was pretty good)

Here's the build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0af3e1abf03d3f4

Since this is an Atlas, it's still a lumbering brick wall, but a prerequisite for this build (and really ALL Atlas builds) is that you actually know how to pilot an Atlas, so this fact should be a given.

It's fairly obvious what I've done with this build, but I've essentially taken way the typical "Jack of all trades, master of none" Atlas mentality and replaced it with potent long range "baiting" and a devastating short range punch.

Atypical to most Atlas builds, this variant has some effectiveness outside of a lance/group as long as it's on a map where the Atlas can "lurk" around. The build is surprisingly good on heat, and the SRM/AC20/ML attack at short range is disgusting. (If you're feeling brave and have the overhead, throw in the ER LL's).

Anyways, try it out, let me know what you think.

#2 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:23 AM

Slow, but I like it. Atlas have few advantages over DWs and speed is one, AC20s are another and you made good use of that. Good strategy aswell!

#3 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:30 AM

Mine is even stranger personally.

AS7-S "Tantalus"

I am still working on it. First I want to put together my CN9-AH.

#4 BTone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 160 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:44 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 23 October 2014 - 07:23 AM, said:

Slow, but I like it. Atlas have few advantages over DWs and speed is one, AC20s are another and you made good use of that. Good strategy aswell!

Thanks!

View PostDavidHurricane, on 23 October 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

Mine is even stranger personally.

AS7-S "Tantalus"

I am still working on it. First I want to put together my CN9-AH.

Definitely a strange build! I guess the only thing that bugs me is the Gauss rifle. I feel like that build will get overwhelmed if the enemy gets close, and I've never been able to use the Gauss Rifle effectively up close. And that's A LOT of ammo. I'd have to say you could shave a few tons in ammo and put it into a bigger engine. Just my two cents.

Edited by BTone, 23 October 2014 - 07:45 AM.

#5 BTone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 160 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:47 AM

Actually DavidHurricane, maybe try this one on for size?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...05137f4c69bcea5

#6 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:51 AM

View PostBTone, on 23 October 2014 - 07:47 AM, said:

I'm gonna swap the Gauss and ERLLs, but I am tight on right now. The Tantalus is on the back-burner, my CN9-AH is taking priority.

Will update soon.

#7 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

View PostBTone, on 23 October 2014 - 07:47 AM, said:

I hope that SRM ammo positioning is a fluke... Better put it in your legs and head my friend.

#8 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:04 AM

View PostBTone, on 23 October 2014 - 07:19 AM, said:

Hey Guys,

I put together this AS7-S build a couple days ago, and honestly, am pleasantly surprised by its success.

Not all that strange at all. I run my DDC very similarly.

Jody

#9 loopala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:08 AM

not bad. it seems looking at my as7 builds i tend to end up with something similar. the erll in the arms are way more effective then they would seem.

#10 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPort Torture, Washington, USA

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:22 AM

AS7-S

I like mine a lot, does immense damage at all ranges... but it is strange as well

#11 Crann

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

OP, interesting? sry but its just another max/min symmetrical meta build as far as i can tell... IMO Nothing to see here...

#12 BTone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 160 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

View PostCrann, on 23 October 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

OP, interesting? sry but its just another max/min symmetrical meta build as far as i can tell... IMO Nothing to see here...

Thanks for your incredible input. I would never have been able to survive without making your opinion of my worthless post abundantly clear..

#13 RetroActive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

View PostBTone, on 23 October 2014 - 07:19 AM, said:

Hey Guys,

I put together this AS7-S build a couple days ago, and honestly, am pleasantly surprised by its success. Even though I've lost all the matches I've entered, it's important to note I was the last man standing on my team in all matches, and dealt significant damage over the course of the game across all range brackets, and averaged 1 kill per game. (Not great normally, but under the circumstance, it was pretty good)

Here's the build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0af3e1abf03d3f4

Since this is an Atlas, it's still a lumbering brick wall, but a prerequisite for this build (and really ALL Atlas builds) is that you actually know how to pilot an Atlas, so this fact should be a given.

It's fairly obvious what I've done with this build, but I've essentially taken way the typical "Jack of all trades, master of none" Atlas mentality and replaced it with potent long range "baiting" and a devastating short range punch.

Atypical to most Atlas builds, this variant has some effectiveness outside of a lance/group as long as it's on a map where the Atlas can "lurk" around. The build is surprisingly good on heat, and the SRM/AC20/ML attack at short range is disgusting. (If you're feeling brave and have the overhead, throw in the ER LL's).

Anyways, try it out, let me know what you think.

It seems like a good build, but you can do this on a DDC, substituting the 2 CT medlas with ECM. For me, the allure of the S is the extra missile slot.

#14 BTone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 160 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:00 AM

View PostRetroActive, on 23 October 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

It seems like a good build, but you can do this on a DDC, substituting the 2 CT medlas with ECM. For me, the allure of the S is the extra missile slot.

I dont have a DDC, so I wouldn't really know. That being said, I'm kicking around some ways of using that 4th slot.

#15 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 23 October 2014 - 08:58 AM, said:

I hope that SRM ammo positioning is a fluke... Better put it in your legs and head my friend.

Agreed. Thats where I put mine. Also, I wouldn't use so much ammo. You could probably loose 1 of the tons, and still have plenty. This is actually very similar to my build. =]

View PostCrann, on 23 October 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

WOW! I think my IQ just dropped....

Don't listen to him. Build it to your play style, and have fun! =]

#16 Skexy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:09 AM

Have you considered switching to 4 SRM 4s? It would save a tone you could invest in some more much needed AC20 ammo. You could also shave some leg armor for an extra half or full ton. I don't think 2 tons is near enough.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...01fc474ff49b148

-skexy

#17 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:11 AM

View PostUminix, on 23 October 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

AS7-S

I like mine a lot, does immense damage at all ranges... but it is strange as well

Nice! I actually like that build. Good long range for softening the target, then a nice punch when it gets close. Using the AC-5 will also keep heat down. Well done. =]

#18 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

Mine was something like this. Pretty close to stock, a bit faster. I built it as kind of a joking troll-build, but it's remarkably effective. Those LRMs are like a constant AC5 you can't hide from and then it gets into brawling range and is just as nasty.

One thing I've found as a Fatty pilot is that if you build a brawler, you typically spend half the match trudging slowly towards the enemy cluster as your lighter mechs die off. With a longer range weapon, especially LRMs which can arc over cover and with a lesser chance of hitting allies, you can contribute even when the bulk of your weapons are out of range.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9233388fd19e784

Edited by Dawnstealer, 23 October 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#19 BTone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 160 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

View PostSkexy, on 23 October 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

Have you considered switching to 4 SRM 4s? It would save a tone you could invest in some more much needed AC20 ammo. You could also shave some leg armor for an extra half or full ton. I don't think 2 tons is near enough.

-skexy

I actually really like the my three SRM 6's. I've run with four SRM 4's, but it I'm convinced the two extra missiles make a real difference...

Actually, I did get some ideas though.

AS7-S

I think I'll try this slight modification when I get home. Cut down the armor in the legs to squeeze in some additional AC/20 ammo, and cut some armor in the torsos to get another DHS. I mean, any good Atlas pilot knows to twist and shout to get those arms covering the torsos anyway.

#20 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:30 AM

View PostSkexy, on 23 October 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

-skexy

I agree, here is my brawler build. Three tons should be adequate.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f6dbff7f56e43e6

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users