Are There Damage Types?

6 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

Is there any difference in damage type? I was pondering this the other night. is there any difference in weapons, other than the idea of pin-point, verse dot? Or is there anything underlying?

If not, i was pondering things like this

example, Laser damage, slow down their heat dissipation.

Ballistics, greater chance to remove extra armor.

Missiles, greater chance to weaken armor in near by areas. (i recall at one time this was called splash damage, not sure if it has changed)

anyone what is up, or are they all just plain numbers? It just got me thinking as it always feels like an AC-10, works different than a PPC for example

#2 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:25 PM

Nope, just numbers.

That said, some damage is immediate, some is over time, and some is spread into shells or per missile.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

No, mainly because Battletech itself does not differentiate damage types except when using alternative armor that has specific weaknesses & resistances to certain weapon types, such as Reactive Armor http://www.sarna.net.../Reactive_Armor but MWO dos not user any of these alternative armor types.

Weapons have many other characteristics, such as ammo or energy, range, heat, projectile speed, pinpoint vs damage over time, PPCs will disable an ECM temporarily, and many weapons have different crit rates such as the LBX and Machine Guns which cause bonus crit damage to unarmoured components.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:16 PM

some weapons (Machine guns, LB-x Auto Cannons and Flamers) have an increased critical hit chance, meaning they demolish internal structure and components faster per point of damage than other weapons, but are no more effective against armored targets than other weapons for the damage numbers.

Flamers impart heat to the target

these are to the best of my knowledge the only damage types in this game

#5 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:10 PM

More about damage methods than damage types when it comes to mwomercs.

Heat Damage which can be inflicted through outside sources (standing in lava or someone using a few flamer weapons against you) or internal sources where if you use weapons that overheat your 'mech's capacity forcing it to shut down or overriding the auto shutdown for too long 'causes your CT's internals to take damage. (you continue firing your weapons keeping your heat levels above 90% for too long and eventually your CT's internal damage display turns yellow or you automatically shutdown mid battle and startup again after a while and notice your CT internal damage display is yellow)

Armor Point Damage (running into other 'mechs, fall damage, receiving enemy/friendly fire)

Weapons that inflict immediate damage (ballistic/missile/PPC/ER PPC/Pulse Laser)

Weapons that inflict damage over time (Regular Laser/Flamer)

Then there's explosion damage where if your unused ammunition receives a critical hit, it will deal internal damage to your 'mech and potentially remove armor or if you're carrying a gauss rifle, that has the potential of dealing the same type of explosive damage to your 'mech too.

As for taking damage by standing too close to another 'mech that suffers explosion damage.. I don't think that's implemented into mwomercs.. then again I don't think I've been able to 'cause an opponent to experience a core meltdown and take damage from it yet.

#6 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

There's two types of damage in MWO: fatal damage and nonfatal damage. Your objective is to minimize the former to yourself whilst maximizing it to your enemies. And do the same for nonfatal damage, for that matter.

...:P...

#7 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:02 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 23 October 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

some weapons (Machine guns, LB-x Auto Cannons and Flamers) have an increased critical hit chance, meaning they demolish internal structure and components faster per point of damage than other weapons, but are no more effective against armored targets than other weapons for the damage numbers.

Flamers impart heat to the target

these are to the best of my knowledge the only damage types in this game

This is correct. In addition, if you have a clan mech with a Targeting Computer, it also increases the crit chance (against internals like the machine guns above) of non-LBX ACs, PPCs and Lasers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users