Is Pack Cheaper?

98 replies to this topic

#1 Anarcho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 538 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:57 PM

Well, this isnt a rant or cry, just want to know why the IS pack is 80 bucks when the clan wave 2 with 4 mechs, colours and premium time cost more...

Why??

#2 Lucian Nostra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

Because they know they can charge more for clan mechs.. no other reason

#3 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:59 PM

Complaints about not being able to buy a package under 100 dollars to get the King Crab

#4 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:10 PM

I really want to get the third tier wave 2 but I ALSO want the 3rd tier of the resistance...I'm befuddled and neither will qualify me for the king crabby.

Innersphere tech costs less? Dunno.

Might just get the one with the most warhorns if at all

#5 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:21 PM

View PostBrody319, on 23 October 2014 - 08:59 PM, said:

Complaints about not being able to buy a package under 100 dollars to get the King Crab

This, and it can be taken as an implicit admission that clan mechs are in fact superior.

I'm going with both, though if you look at the phoenix pack, that was also $20 a mech. Also, unlike clan mechs, IS mechs quite often require additional c-bills to even become useable (I'm looking at you, SHS), or they cost more to compensate for the fact they come with fancy XL (often the wrong size for what you want, lol) and/or DHS. The packs kind of screw that part up since they're a fixed price and I'm almost positive one each of the phoenix mechs came with DHS standard (excluding the bug), or didn't need them to begin with (this one is specifically aimed at the bug).

Edited by Kassatsu, 23 October 2014 - 09:24 PM.

#6 Yukichi Fukuzawa

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 63 posts
  • LocationJapan?

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:21 PM

The clan mechs are FULLY UPGRADED and have weapons and XLS and full gear that is much more pricey. The IS mechs are generally lowly upgraded or fully standard stock. Not the same thing at all.

#7 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:23 PM

Actually, the main reason is that IS mechs are cheaper in general to buy via c-bills than clan mechs. That's the official justification, and it does make some sense. (it's true, just look at the in-game store)

Of course, the cost of ownership of an IS mech actually ends up being much higher in relative terms than a clan mech, because in a clan mech you just swap weapons around, but in an IS mech you're endo-steeling, XL'ing, double heat sinking, etc...

#8 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:24 PM

Look at clan mech prices v. IS prices. Enough said.

#9 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:28 PM

the phoenix pack was the same price and i think when you added the griffin and wolverine it went up to 120. IS mechs run 20$/mech in packs and clan is 30$ / mech.

#10 wolf74

• 1,272 posts
  • LocationMidland, TX

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:44 PM

Or it just could be with the LAST big push from the outside that got the clan mech made they learned a lot on how to make mech cheaper and are just passing the new lower cost on to us.

#11 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:45 PM

Yep - it's entirely based on the average C-Bill costs of the mechs. Clan tech costs more C-Bills and the mechs all come with most of the expensive upgrades like DHS and XL engines.

#12 Walluh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 682 posts
  • LocationLovingly stroking my Crab Waifu

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:49 PM

It also has to do with the fact you'll still likely need to upgrade these mechs. Or they could just be lowering the price for packs in general. You never know.

#13 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:51 PM

View PostWalluh, on 23 October 2014 - 09:49 PM, said:

It also has to do with the fact you'll still likely need to upgrade these mechs. Or they could just be lowering the price for packs in general. You never know.

To make a IS light "viable" it takes about 6-8 mill to get it at its best.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:52 PM

because most of the mechs are pretty lackluster and probably won't be tier 1-2

#15 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:58 PM

Because the IS mechs in that pack are less than stellar, while the Clan medium and heavy have potential.

Panther: why does this even exist? It's a slow IS light. You know what else is a slow IS light? The RVN-2X. How many of those do you see?

Enforcer: what? They had to make one up. Why not a Phoenix hawk? It has better hard point options and one variant even has ECM. It's also a 45 tonner without the horribad engine cap.

Grasshopper: kinda meh. Why? Because IS energy weapons are pretty garbage.

Zeus: iconic, I love it. I also predict it being terribad garbage. It'll be an 80 ton Thud. It's pretty much the Awesome with some additional hardpoints. Basically unless it gets some amazeballs quirks, the Victor does it better.

#16 Jeffrey Wilder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:11 PM

View PostAnarcho, on 23 October 2014 - 08:57 PM, said:

Well, this isnt a rant or cry, just want to know why the IS pack is 80 bucks when the clan wave 2 with 4 mechs, colours and premium time cost more...

Why??

That really depends on what you are looking for.

If you like the whole package or majority of it, it'll be best to buy a pack (e.g the camo and cockpit items). If you are only interested in Hero mechs, it's cheaper to buy them on sale.

#17 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:24 PM

It's all based on MC costs. Russ already said this.

The IS mechs cost less, thus they are cheaper with real money.

Edited by Greenjulius, 23 October 2014 - 11:25 PM.

#18 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:40 PM

I'm curious about faction packs, so if I buy Wrath pack does it mean I'll get 18 colors, 6 warhorns, 6 hanging and 6 standing items? That's a lot for an 80 bucks pack.

#19 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:43 PM

View Postkapusta11, on 23 October 2014 - 11:40 PM, said:

I'm curious about faction packs, so if I buy Wrath pack does it mean I'll get 18 colors, 6 warhorns, 6 hanging and 6 standing items? That's a lot for an 80 bucks pack.

You're correct. Both Resistance and Clan Wave 2 are great deals. Way better than Clan Wave 1.

#20 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:46 PM

I would like to think there's a C-Bill/MC conversion rate that "kinda" justifies this, but honestly... it's irrelevant. PGI could technically put both on par with each others on costs, but that's just how they plan to structure it.

What you really need to consider is that IS mechs, particular the hero/champion (c-bill bonus) variant is probably "worse" than the Clans.

Think about it for a moment. If you go Clans, you can for the most part switch out all the bad hardpoints through the omnipod and plug in the ones you want. This is what makes the Prime variants far more valuable than the IS counterparts. For a Kitfox, you can redevelop it with ECM or max its firepower with a more pewpew arm. There are some exceptions to the rule that make things interesting (the Timberwolves come to mind, Prime with the ballistic CT, S with the fixed JJ, C with the energy CT).

So, I guess you could say.. the value is either in the mechs themselves (IS), or the serious customizability option in the clan omnipods for the prime (Clan) despite the increase in cost.

Maybe it's just me, but the IS "c-bill" bonus variants tend to be vastly inferior to the Clans. The closest ones that are actually good... like the Founders Atlas-D and Founders Jenner-D. Everything else is more or less meh (hopefully the quirks alleviate some of that).

I guess it could be a good thing that the Zeus's moneymaking variant has changed (I hope there isn't remorse in the future from that change...)

Edited by Deathlike, 23 October 2014 - 11:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users