G Sync Monitor, Yes Or No?

39 replies to this topic

#21 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:13 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 27 October 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

Buying a G-Sync monitor doesn't lock you to Nvidia. If you change your mind in a couple of years and go AMD, it's still a good monitor with 144Hz refresh rate.

You are right it will not. it will just cost you 100 bucks more for the G-Sync module. At the same time Nvidia could adapt to the new standard and support Freesync, which costs nothing, but that is very unlikely. Nividia wants to run a proprietary component to earn that extra money from fanboys.

The producers of those monitors with a G-Sync module will probably have them outfitted with both in the future. Or make it like ASUS and offer the same monitor with and without G-Sync. Those who want it just have to pay those 100 bucks more, because their chosen GPU manufacturer has decided that open standards, while not necessarily better or worse, are below their own.

#22 HadleyHope

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:49 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 25 October 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

I just got an Acer XB270H Abprz 27" G-Sync monitor yesterday, along with a Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Omega graphics card (the last parts of my new gaming build). All I can say is ... WOW!

Also just brought the Acer Predator, what an amazing monitor cannot believe that is so cheap compared to other G-Sync monitors.

Just wondering what your frame rate is? I have a GTX 780 card and with my old monitor MWO was reporting anything between 40 to 110, with the Acer I am getting a steady 59.8 with the odd jump to 61. The resolution is the same and I have made no changes in game. The Heaven benchmark is reporting around 85 fps.

Not complaining though on the new monitor the game is so smooth.

#23 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:44 AM

Does 5 months count as thread necro?

Anyway, freesync screens are also out, promising, not quite there yet though. The screens that are out now turn off overdrive when freesync is active, so there's a lot of ghosting.

#24 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:03 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 25 March 2015 - 01:44 AM, said:

Anyway, freesync screens are also out, promising, not quite there yet though. The screens that are out now turn off overdrive when freesync is active, so there's a lot of ghosting.

Not in the tests I have seen. Can you link your source please!

Freesync functionality is mostly dependent on the screen itself. So its value can vary. The difference lies in the supported Hertz ranges and this can be different from product to product.

While G-Sync is always functioning between 30 and 144 Hertz, Freesync monitors need to be looked at closer. Technically Freesync is capavale of running between 9 and 240 Hertz, but not all screens support this to this extend. Some examples:
Benq XL2730Z - Freesync from 40 to 144 Hertz
LG 34UM67 - Freesync from 48 to 75 Hertz

So if you run outside these specs you can of course see tearing again, but the same goes for G-Sync. I haven't heard of ghosting problems.

Best results are achieved when both Freesync/G-Sync and V-Sync are active, should you go beyond the maximum FPS of your monitor.

Edited by Egomane, 25 March 2015 - 02:04 AM.

#25 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:20 AM

Pcper
http://www.pcper.com...ience-FreeSync-

It's not that bad on the benq because of the fast TN panel, but the LG ips ultrawide seems terrible. The benq is expensive though.

Posted Image

he says there's a bit of blurring when it's active.

Edited by Flapdrol, 25 March 2015 - 02:25 AM.

#26 TrentTheWanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:35 AM

I've got an ROG Swift that I got because of the combination of high refresh rate, resolution, and G-Sync, and it's why I don't play MWO anymore.

Let me explain, when I took the monitor out of the box, plugged it in, and turned it on I was SUPER excited to log in to MechWarrior Online and run around enjoying the high fidelity game experience at the 144+ frame rates I was able to push with two GTX 780s @ 1.2ghz. I was really set up for a big payoff coming from all the time meticulously picking parts, overclocking, and checking every retailer I could find for the monitor that I thought would be perfect for giving me the best possible gaming experience in a game I had really been looking forward to. I was super psyched to experience a level of fun and immersion I hadn't been able to accomplish before.

Instead, I learned that the MWO client has, does, and most likely always will render the mechlab in full in the background while you are playing in a match rendering the battle. At first I didn't realize what was going on, I hadn't played in a while and I assumed I was seeing some kind of volumetric lighting interacting with fog and maybe cockpit smoke causing the strange visual effect. It wasn't until I really looked closely that I recognized it for what it was. You see, with my old 60hz display and my frame rate capped capped at 60 with V-Sync none of the frames that were being rendered of the mechlab were being printed to my monitor. Once that limitation was removed by the 144hz refresh rate that changed, the monitor could now start to keep up with all the frames being rendered, and what's more with G-Sync's help these frames could be printed as soon as they are ready, allowing the frames from the mechlab to be printed between frames from the game client during matches.

See for yourself:

When I realized what was going on I turned off and uninstalled MWO. It became glaringly obvious that I had put more time, effort, care, and attention into the game than the actual developers ever did, and there simply was no point in continuing to enable it. Ironically, I found myself here when googling looking for more ROG Swift displays so I could start working on an eyefinity setup for games like Star Citizen and Heavy Gear Assault. I figured by logging in and letting you know that MWO is unplayable with an ROG Swift with G-Sync enabled I would save you some time and/or money.

Hope this helps.

#27 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:50 AM

Weird.

#28 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:44 AM

View PostTrentTheWanderer, on 25 March 2015 - 02:35 AM, said:

snip

That's because of SLI, not G-sync. It's a very well-known issue to those of us who have tried SLI. It's the reason I bought a GTX 980 and ditched my 2 660 TIs.

#29 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:53 AM

Multigpu used to only be good in the mainstream aaa titles, but lately it's been pretty bad in many of those titles too.

In the techreport review of the titan X the reviewer said as a gamer he'd rather have a 290X than a 295x2.

#30 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:28 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 25 March 2015 - 02:20 AM, said:

he says there's a bit of blurring when it's active.

Only watched it once now on my mobile device and have to look at it again when I am home, but he didn't blame freesync directly for the blurring / ghosting.

I'll investigate this a little more, when I have some free time to look up more test results.

Thanks for the link and video.

Edit:
Looked around a little (still not home) and from what I can gather, the ghosting is a problem of the panel in the Acer monitor. Like I said, I'll investigate more at a later time.

Edited by Egomane, 25 March 2015 - 05:54 AM.

#31 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:29 AM

Ghosting is "normal" for tft panels, but in good monitors the response time compensation (aka overdrive) will mitigate it drastically.

If you look closely at the picture I posted you can still see the "ghost" of the blade on the rog swift, a slight difference in black levels where the blade was.

It shouldn't be an inherent freesync problem, but it looks like the "normal" rtc hardware wasn't compatible with variable refresh, not a problem for gsync because they moved all the processing a monitor does to their module.

Anyway, tftcentral has the benq freesync monitor, no review yet, but they'll probably have an explaination.

#32 Tom Sawyer

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:38 AM

If and IF you are willing to wait: http://www.pcworld.c...or-at-last.html
http://www.tftcentra...cer_xb270hu.htm

It will run $799 in the US and I am already saving my pennies. It will combine the best of the IPS and TS panels together into a great package.

#33 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:04 PM

The ghosting on my current screen is pretty bad, but I guess a camera can make it even worse :)
Posted Image
maybe see if I can take a pic with lower exposure time.

arma 3 windmill btw, spin a lot faster.

edit: tried it on a crt, still multiple blades, my science is flawed. :)

Edited by Flapdrol, 25 March 2015 - 02:14 PM.

#34 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:34 AM

:(

https://youtu.be/84G9MD4ra8M

Edited by Flapdrol, 27 March 2015 - 12:35 AM.

#35 DeathlyEyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • 940 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMetaphorical Island somewhere in the Pacific

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:22 AM

just get a 144hz monitor.

#36 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:31 AM

Nah, I want my next screen to have variable refresh.

#37 Woopass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 209 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:21 AM

I heard the human eye and brain cannot process more than 60 FPS. So if your maxing out at 120 or 144 your still only really going to see equivalent to 60 fps. I havent done much research to find the truth in this but the person who told me is very smart and wise.

#38 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:56 PM

View PostWoopass, on 09 June 2015 - 10:21 AM, said:

I heard the human eye and brain cannot process more than 60 FPS. So if your maxing out at 120 or 144 your still only really going to see equivalent to 60 fps. I havent done much research to find the truth in this but the person who told me is very smart and wise.

BS, Proof or STFU!

#39 Woopass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 209 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:22 PM

View PostLord Letto, on 09 June 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

BS, Proof or STFU!

Stop being lazy and do some research :)

#40 Lord Letto