Narc Warning

4 replies to this topic

#1 Master Pain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:33 PM

Can we get a warning when we have been narc. It is really frustrating to get obliterated by lrms and not have any idea why. If we had some kind of warning that we have been narc'd, we might have some small chance to avoid certain death from lrms occasionally . If your mech can detect being jammed by ecm, it should be able to detect when a narc beacon has been attached to your mech.

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:48 PM

This is a popular question and there are reasons why we don't have "narc warning". I used to think the same as you, but I've changed my mind about it.

A: narc is attached to your mech and all it does is transmit its location and data until it runs out of battery. (ECM stands for electronic countermeasures, and as such scrambles the signal of its intended target - you're not warned that you're in an enemy ECM bubble, you just experience interference and low signal transmission.)

B: your teammates can see the physical beacon on your mech - it's their responsibility to tell you (though honestly I believe this should be restricted to line of sight only)

C: you get plenty of missile warnings when you're narc'd, I think that's plenty.

D: you can usually (usually) identify a mech equipped with narc before it ever narcs you, so it's safe to assume that if it had direct line of sight to you, you're narc'd.

E: be thankful Narc isn't implemented in this game the way it's supposed to work in lore. ;)

That said, there should be an impact sound not dissimilar to an AC2 for when a Narc hits your mech.

#3 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

FYI, Russ has tweeted stating that he's approved a HUD 'Narc'd' indicator. No eta on it, but it's finally happening.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostTarogato, on 25 October 2014 - 11:48 PM, said:

E: be thankful Narc isn't implemented in this game the way it's supposed to work in lore. ;)

If it did, almost nobody else would be able to use it for their own locks unless they bought NARC-compatible SRM and LRM ammo, which is typically 3x more expensive than standard ammunition.

And just how many players would be sporting those? Not quite as many as fire upon NARC beacons at the moment.

Edited by Koniving, 29 October 2014 - 10:24 AM.

#5 FrontGuard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:25 AM

Yes... great idea
And a Laser Pointer Warning also.
... Yeah, and have it give you where the little ******* is also :-)
That we we can turn and fire at him.

Oh by the way... you think Tarogato is an LRM fan... lol, you know it.

Edited by FrontGuard, 29 October 2014 - 10:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users