New Video Card

7 replies to this topic

#1 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:35 AM

I have an old NVIDIA Geforce 6150Se NForce 430 Video card and was wondering what is a good one that is cheap yet still able to run this game smoothly.

#2 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:00 AM

Hi, that's a integrated Graphics Chip built into the Motherboard, just about anything would be better than that, just let us know what motherboard you have, what power supply you have and your budget.
Edit: You might need a New CPU also, according to this: http://www.nvidia.ca...tech_specs.html
You CPU would likely be a AMD Athlon 64 or Sempron, Single core AMD that would suck when it comes to Gaming, More so with MWO with how CPU Dependent it is you's be lucky to run the game at all let alone smoothly on minimum settings. as it is, I think you may be better off saving up and Building a New Computer.

Edited by Lord Letto, 01 November 2014 - 06:12 AM.

#3 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:56 PM

Motherboard(I think thats what this is): Athlon X2 4050e (2.1GHz)
Power supply is 250W
as to the budget I hate to say it but as cheap as I can get one that will run the game smoothly

Edited by VinJade, 01 November 2014 - 02:01 PM.

#4 sC4r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 475 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

what you posted is your processor but at least you give some general idea what kind of motherboard you may have

gotta say with that cpu you may not or just barely be able to play this game so i would suggest to buy entire new setup... though that all depends on your budget you have

#5 Arkbird_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:11 PM

View PostVinJade, on 01 November 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

I have an old NVIDIA Geforce 6150Se NForce 430 Video card and was wondering what is a good one that is cheap yet still able to run this game smoothly.

Graphics card is less important that CPU for MWO. I hate to break it to you but you likely need both upgraded. My rig:

E6400 Core 2 duo 2.1 ghz
HD 6570 Sapphire Radeon Graphics Card

Understand that my graphics card is a whole series above the minimum requirements (HD5000 series recommended) however the cpu minimum requirement is 2.66 ghz while mines only 2.1 ghz. Only get 30 fps while moving around, down to 15 and even 10 during heavy combat. Would not recommend just a graphics card upgrade alone

Now check recommended settings online and you'll notice the graphics card series is still the HD 5000, while the recommended CPU goes from Core 2 duo to Core I3-2500. Not a coincidence that graphics remain the same, the simple way to put it is you can get a 5000 series graphics card and make this game smooth, but ONLY if you get a good CPU to back it up. This game is much more CPU intensive than GPU.

Keep in mind that you have the right mindset, yes a better graphics card will definitely improve other games, just not this one. My CPU is terrible for this game, but I can play flashy graphic games with good framerates from crysis 3, lotr shadow of mordor, and skyrim + mods since the graphics card takes most of the load.

EDIT: Noticed your post about motherboard. That is your CPU and it is woefully under the minimum requirements like my CPU is. It's not going to cut it if you want to break 30 frames per second in combat which is pretty crucial in a shooter like this. You will need to get a new CPU and GPU, which basically means you need a whole new computer. You could technically upgrade those parts, but generally speaking to get the most bang for your buck a new computer is required.

Edited by PV Phoenix, 01 November 2014 - 03:16 PM.

#6 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:22 PM

View PostVinJade, on 01 November 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

Motherboard(I think thats what this is): Athlon X2 4050e (2.1GHz)
Power supply is 250W
as to the budget I hate to say it but as cheap as I can get one that will run the game smoothly

That is pretty ancient. Only things you might be able to reuse is the case and maybe the harddrive (if it's sata)

#7 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:31 PM

yeah, i'd say build a Brand new Computer, $500-600 should be enough, considering how old the stuff is and possibility that it's OEM/Off the Shelf Pre-Build everything would need to be Replaced, My First Recomendation:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($67.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill AEGIS 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.48 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($25.00 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $498.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-01 23:31 EDT-0400

if that's too expensive, give us a price.

Edited by Lord Letto, 01 November 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#8 Ocilfa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:45 PM

Lord Letto has a nice thing going on there, but I would really reccomend using a AMD R7 265 instead of the 750ti. It would indeed still work on that power supply he listed and only be $5 more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users