General

50 replies to this topic

#21 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:21 PM

Definitely overclock that i7. I've got the same chip and 4.2-4.3 is easy to achieve simply by adjusting the turboboost multiplier and finding the right core voltage. (@4.2 I didn't need to tweak vcore at all, @4.3 I had to take it up a little bit).

I've gotten it up to 4.5 but that's a 24/7 overclock (as opposed to Turboboost), requires pretty steep voltage (i.e. bigger electric bill) and gave me no noticable performance boost in MWO compared to the 4.3OC. The difference between 4.3 and stock (which is actually 3.8 with Turboboost, IIRC) is huge, though - probably a good 20-30% increase in FPS.

Also, you'd do well to set "Particles" to medium or low in the game settings while leaving everything else maxxed. Particle effects cause the biggest hit to performance in this game. I know you think you shouldn't have to lower any settings given the beefyness of your rig, and that you're aware of MWOs optimization problems, but hey - it is what it is, and Particles hurt FPS.

Edited by DEMAX51, 06 November 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#22 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:16 PM

search the forum for 'disable hyperthreading' it may help, its something intel users can do. (i use AMD)

#23 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:54 PM

4.4GhZ is where I chose to leave my 2600K when I had it. somewhere between 4.2 and 4.5 is where you become mostly unbound CPU-wise.

Disabling hyperthreading will do nothing unless there is something else going on with the system. This is a desktop i7.

I still get some dips with a GTX 980 and a 5820K at 4.1GhZ. They're unavoidable. Luckily, in a hardware bracket like this they are minimal. This game is still a little broken performance-wise, though.

#24 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:50 PM

View PostAssmodeus, on 06 November 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

On that page you linked, there's this blurb in the right side of the page:

"We didn't even need to add more voltage at 2400MHz after 1.65V increase which is a normal memory voltage on that speed. We've pretty much breezed through overclocking on the memory and as well as the ..."

So yes, it's worth a try. You cannot hurt your hardware clocking too high, it will either work or it will crash. But you can hurt your hardware by applying too much voltage, to any component. Heat is the great driver of change.

Good advice, always try to avoid increasing the voltage when you overclock anything.

#25 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:28 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 06 November 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

Good advice, always try to avoid increasing the voltage when you overclock anything.

Uh... Most of the time for a good OC you have to bump your voltage to your CPU.
With RAM it is a similar approach. Small, Tiny bumps.

By bump I mean slight increases as you go.

It all depends what you OC and how far you go with it.

Edited by Odins Fist, 06 November 2014 - 06:30 PM.

#26 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:19 PM

Its sad but reassuring that even people with well optimized superior top of the line rigs experience FPS drops.
I can now assume my system is fine.

The concensus emerges not so surprisingly that higher single clock speeds should result in higher or with v-sync more stable FPS. The prognosis of 10-20-30% perfomance increase is very compelling.
Seeing as I have set up the rig to allow for a pretty good overclock I will attempt it in the near future, just need to research how to do this properly, as I have never done it before.

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 06 November 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

CPU and GPU overclocking, on the other hand, can easily gain you 10-20% extra performance, depending on the game. They will especially help those times when your FPS plummets. MW:O really likes pure clock speed.

Also, OP ... every single person who plays this game has FPS drops. There is no getting away from that. I have a 4690K and a GTX 980 and I get drops. All you can do is try to keep the drops from bogging the game down. Overclocking the CPU and GPU will help that. No need to do the RAM.

I will do this very carefully, can you tell me what a safe temperature range is for the processor? I want a safe stable 24/7 OC to run for a few years.

View PostAssmodeus, on 06 November 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

So yes, it's worth a try. You cannot hurt your hardware clocking too high, it will either work or it will crash. But you can hurt your hardware by applying too much voltage, to any component. Heat is the great driver of change.

If I want to get my multiplier from 32 to 42 or 45 I will have no choice but to increase voltages I think.

View PostDEMAX51, on 06 November 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

Definitely overclock that i7. I've got the same chip and 4.2-4.3 is easy to achieve simply by adjusting the turboboost multiplier and finding the right core voltage. (@4.2 I didn't need to tweak vcore at all, @4.3 I had to take it up a little bit).

I've gotten it up to 4.5 but that's a 24/7 overclock (as opposed to Turboboost), requires pretty steep voltage (i.e. bigger electric bill) and gave me no noticable performance boost in MWO compared to the 4.3OC. The difference between 4.3 and stock (which is actually 3.8 with Turboboost, IIRC) is huge, though - probably a good 20-30% increase in FPS.

If your 2600K can run stable at 4.2Ghz without more Vcore, you have one impressive specimen! :)

View PostGorantir, on 06 November 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

search the forum for 'disable hyperthreading' it may help, its something intel users can do. (i use AMD)

I've already done this it does not seem to effect desktop rigs, only laptops.

View PostxWiredx, on 06 November 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

4.4GhZ is where I chose to leave my 2600K when I had it. somewhere between 4.2 and 4.5 is where you become mostly unbound CPU-wise.

Disabling hyperthreading will do nothing unless there is something else going on with the system. This is a desktop i7.

I still get some dips with a GTX 980 and a 5820K at 4.1GhZ. They're unavoidable. Luckily, in a hardware bracket like this they are minimal. This game is still a little broken performance-wise, though.

This also underlines the apparent trends.

View PostOdins Fist, on 06 November 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

Uh... Most of the time for a good OC you have to bump your voltage to your CPU.
With RAM it is a similar approach. Small, Tiny bumps.

By bump I mean slight increases as you go.

It all depends what you OC and how far you go with it.

I've read I ought to try 0.05V per increment?

Thank you guys for the indepth troll free replies.

#27 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:27 AM

Thank you moderators for moving this to the hardware subforum

#28 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:50 AM

View PostTherrinian, on 07 November 2014 - 12:27 AM, said:

Thank you moderators for moving this to the hardware subforum

Really, your rig is powerful enough that it should be able to run high-end games quite well. Cryengine 3 is an aging platform, PGI is free from the yolk of IGP and really needs to work on optimizing the engine. Yes, I like new mechs and maps and I really want the CW that was promised to me as a founder, but the engine is not working at the level it could be.

#29 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:11 AM

I'd like to see community warfare at least in a basic sence, and visual customization for older mechs, new mechs and maps is just an added bonus.

After that I'd very much prefer to have the game optimized to a state PGI can be proud of.

Edited by Therrinian, 07 November 2014 - 01:14 AM.

#30 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

View PostTherrinian, on 06 November 2014 - 11:19 PM, said:

I will do this very carefully, can you tell me what a safe temperature range is for the processor? I want a safe stable 24/7 OC to run for a few years.

If your 2600K can run stable at 4.2Ghz without more Vcore, you have one impressive specimen! :)

RE: my 2600K, when I had it at stock voltage at 4.2: Again, this was using the Tuboboost method, not a 24/7 OC. (Which is what I recommend, actually. It'll save you on your power bill, and will extend the life of the chip, compared to a 24/7 OC). And I'm sure it's very possible for you to do to. Check this video out - though the BIOS won't look the same, the information therein is still pretty applicable:

Temperature wise, so long as it doesn't go much above 70-75C when you're stress-testing it should be fine. Temps during normal usage should rarely spike above 60.

For mine, water cooled @ 4.3, it almost never gets hotter than about 42C when gaming, which is pretty good, and probably averages around 35C.

Edited by DEMAX51, 07 November 2014 - 09:55 AM.

#31 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostTherrinian, on 06 November 2014 - 11:19 PM, said:

See below.

View PostDEMAX51, on 07 November 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

Temperature wise, so long as it doesn't go much above 70-75C when you're stress-testing it should be fine. Temps during normal usage should rarely spike above 60.

This, kind of. For temporary (several hours to a full day) stress testing an overclock with Prime95, I mark the upper limit at 95°C for an air-cooled machine. Most will never get that hot though. During normal gaming, your CPU's upper limit should be 65-70°C.

A modern CPU can last for 7+ years at those temps (65-70°C) on a constant basis. Just watch your voltage, as that is the real killer.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 07 November 2014 - 11:18 AM.

#32 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostTherrinian, on 06 November 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

I've just spent a ton on a new rig including a super-superclocked GTX 970 and a core i7 2600K, and I am running the game on 1440p with settings on high or very high.

Bypassing all the comments about the quality of optimization, I'd like to figure out what is causing my fps drops.

With V-sync disabled, I get up to 120 FPS at time, generally running around 60, however at time the game seems to hang, especially around particle effects. 4Gb of video ram and 8GB of system ram should be more than enough to handle this on one of the best GPUs out there.

the core i7 2600K is running at stock 3.2 GHz at the moment, which I could clock higher, but the load hovers around the 25% mark, so CPU does not seem to be the bottleneck.

Is there anything I could do to stabilize the framerate?

ahh
an really OLD sandy bridge; 3 years old :D hope you didn't spent too much on the processor side
OC it to somewhere above 4GhZ and see fps increase

because this game doesn't scale well with cores
so single thread performance is really important (all those fancy double threads wont give you anything compared to an i5, in all other games most likely too)

AND put down you're particles settings to low, MWO bug something crushing fps

RE: my 2600K, when I had it at stock voltage at 4.2: Again, this was using the Tuboboost method, not a 24/7 OC. (Which is what I recommend, actually. It'll save you on your power bill, and will extend the life of the chip, compared to a 24/7 OC). And I'm sure it's very possible for you to do to. Check this video out - though the BIOS won't look the same, the information therein is still pretty applicable:

For mine, water cooled @ 4.3, it almost never gets hotter than about 42C when gaming, which is pretty good, and probably averages around 35C.

sigh
deactivate HT
causes more heatprops in normal use if you're in bad luck
also wasn't the sandy bridge considered a hothead?
because of using some silicon paste instead of soldering it to the heatspreader?

#33 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:42 AM

actually with the cpu you got, letting the v-core set auto you will notice random spikes if you pay attention. read into it, a proper oc cpu manual set is far better for the cpu overall health. I have a 2500k myself and spent some time looking into it. HW monitor is a great program to run in the backround while doing other stuff, can easily keep on eye on those spikes as it keeps the max numbers until you close the program.
don't bother oc your ram, so many videos on how little gain you get, it also can reduce your stable oc for your cpu.
I would buy a second hand i7 that has been manually oc'd to 4.5 for 2 years then one that is set to auto at 4.2 for a year any day.

#34 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:48 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 07 November 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

ahh
an really OLD sandy bridge; 3 years old :D hope you didn't spent too much on the processor side
OC it to somewhere above 4GhZ and see fps increase

because this game doesn't scale well with cores
so single thread performance is really important (all those fancy double threads wont give you anything compared to an i5, in all other games most likely too)

AND put down you're particles settings to low, MWO bug something crushing fps

sigh
deactivate HT
causes more heatprops in normal use if you're in bad luck
also wasn't the sandy bridge considered a hothead?
because of using some silicon paste instead of soldering it to the heatspreader?

I'd just keep HT on, sometimes useful. Who cares if it gets a little hot in a synthetic like LinX, it'll never do that in daily use.

and no, sandy bridge is no hothead, soldered to the case. thermal paste was introduced with ivy bridge.

#35 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

reread the OP's post :D

one word:
Particles
that would mean smoke from LRM's, you're own steam when youre about to overheat
turn it down, its a bug they introduced somehow like 6 patches ago or so

Edited by Peter2k, 07 November 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#36 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:55 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 07 November 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

I'd just keep HT on, sometimes useful. Who cares if it gets a little hot in a synthetic like LinX, it'll never do that in daily use.

and no, sandy bridge is no hothead, soldered to the case. thermal paste was introduced with ivy bridge.

still I hope he didn't spent too much on an old sandy and 8 gigs of ram

#37 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:01 AM

Thanks a lot very helpful information

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 07 November 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

This, kind of. For temporary (several hours to a full day) stress testing an overclock with Prime95, I mark the upper limit at 95°C for an air-cooled machine. Most will never get that hot though. During normal gaming, your CPU's upper limit should be 65-70°C.

Also very helpful.

View PostPeter2k, on 07 November 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

still I hope he didn't spent too much on an old sandy and 8 gigs of ram
I still have my iMac for everything else, hardly need more than 8 GB for gaming only, besides I can add more sticks of RAM if needed. I scavanged new RAM sticks for 50 euros, the reason I have the older 2600K is because its a used part I got together with a P877Z motherboard for a cool 200 euros.

View PostPeter2k, on 07 November 2014 - 11:52 AM, said:

reread the OP's post :D

one word:
Particles
that would mean smoke from LRM's, you're own steam when youre about to overheat
turn it down, its a bug they introduced somehow like 6 patches ago or so

I have tried lowering particles to medium, and shading to high, Postprocessing to high (apparently a CryEngine3 sweetspots) and its a huge difference, still get FPS dips, but Much more rarely, and not as severe. OC is still to come.

View PostCybermech, on 07 November 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

actually with the cpu you got, letting the v-core set auto you will notice random spikes if you pay attention. read into it, a proper oc cpu manual set is far better for the cpu overall health. I have a 2500k myself and spent some time looking into it. HW monitor is a great program to run in the backround while doing other stuff, can easily keep on eye on those spikes as it keeps the max numbers until you close the program.
don't bother oc your ram, so many videos on how little gain you get, it also can reduce your stable oc for your cpu.
I would buy a second hand i7 that has been manually oc'd to 4.5 for 2 years then one that is set to auto at 4.2 for a year any day.

It IS a second hand i7 that has been OC'd to 4.5 for 1.5 years :) the BIOS had to be reset though, and im unsure to the voltages and other settings used previously.

#38 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:55 AM

I am trying EPU + TPU enabled atm, its running prime95 as we speak, clocked it to 4.4Ghz (from 3.2 baseline)
will try MWO soon

#39 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:37 AM

Wow... does MW:O love fast clock speeds!

runs beautifully, no fps dips I have noticed as of yet.

#40 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:24 AM

Nice, dude!

Just keep an eye on those temps! If you have two monitors I recommend running CPU-Z and RealTemp on the second one, so that you can keep an eye on it when you're gaming.

Did you OC to 4.4 using Turboboost? Or 24/7? What VCore did you have to push through it to keep it stable?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users