Yule - The Tournament

124 replies to this topic

#81 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:45 PM

Ok here's the Blackhearts Record for the night

[ISEN]Blackhearts V FRR Irregular Dogs : 3 - 0

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

[ISEN]Blackhearts V [ISEN]Jump Defence Force : 2 -0

Posted Image

Posted Image

[ISEN]Blackhearts V [ISEN]Jarsguard - Tie then 0 - 2

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#82 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:12 PM

Alright Vikings and Shield-Maidens, it was a late night and I have work far too soon. So I am going to have to make this brief, with a more detailed bracket promised in the future.

First off, thank you everyone for coming and celebrating Yule with us tonight. It was great getting the FRR community together and blowing stuff up in reverence to the Æsir! And drinking, there may have been some drinking...

We reached our goal of 64 players and 16 teams, so that was just outstanding. Almost everyone who wanted to participate was able to get in a group and we had a couple "FRR Irregular" teams giving it their best.

I don't know how many of you were here for last years tournament, but oooh man, it went a lot quicker this time. So much smoother. It was great. My head hurts way less than last year! This also means that the Tournament will reach completion next week! A week ahead of schedule! So that's cool too. =)

"Blah blah blah, stop talking Mech The Dane! We just want results!"
Okay..like I said..my bracket is not fully built yet, but here is what i have:

The Asgard Bracket
Posted Image

The Midgard bracket is a little trickier. Let me just tell you who is left (Sorry I will get the full stuff up this week - all your teams victories will be seen!)

A.The Flying Narhwaals 2-1 are going to play the 5th Drakøns: GGitY 3-1
B.The Blue Vengeance: Weird Germans 3-1 are going to play the Isengrim: BlackHearts 2-1

The winners of A and B will then play each other.

The winner of that match will fight the loser of the Asgard Bracket's final (ISEN: Jarlsguard vs 1RDR: Muspell) and the winner of that match will then fight the winner of the Asgard Bracket's final. The end!

Edited by Mech The Dane, 07 December 2014 - 05:57 PM.

#83 Grim DeGrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 118 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:44 AM

knock Knock.

Who is it?

YOUR FAVORITE LANCE!!!

Yes, The Flying Narwhaals did Odin proud. Here is your favorite 4 man. GREAT JOB LANCE! I think you'll enjoy the enthusiasm...

PG13-Some language Colorful-Excessive use of the word "Narwhaal"

Edited by Grim DeGrim, 07 December 2014 - 01:50 AM.

#84 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for the opportunity to take part in the tournament. Everything went without a hitch. It's amazing how far things have come. Anyone remember sync drops? Even from the sidelines I had a blast and was at the edge of my seat. Hopefully next year I can take a more active role. Who'd a thought a teething infant would makes such a lousy co-pilot? ^_^

Best of luck to those that have proceeded to the next round. May Odin's spear fall in your favor!

Edit: Not a major issue, but you got our teams mixed up on the bracket. Vigrith faced the Shadow Bears and proceeded to second round against Flying Narwhaals.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 07 December 2014 - 11:54 AM.

#85 Starbadger

• PipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 69 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:08 PM

The tournament was a complete blast. I can't wait to see everyone's match videos- The Narwhaals' first two rounds were a total adrenaline rush. Kudos to our opponents! You guys put up a great fight, really had us fighting horn and flipper. And of course congratulations to 1RDR Muspell, who trounced us into the dust on Alpine Peaks in the third round. You came packing the right loadouts and strategies, and had yourself a whale blubber feast! ^_^

Thanks a bunch to DeGrim for filling in- and of course for showcasing the might of the Narwhaals. ;) We're all looking forward to meeting the BlackHearts down on the earthly plane next week!

EDIT: Scratch that, meeting Gon' Give it To Ya next week!

Edited by Paige V, 07 December 2014 - 07:45 PM.

#86 Boombuni

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:52 PM

Excellent event Dane. Getting all us drunks to self-sort into dropships for the first round was a stroke of genius. Can't say much other than I was thrilled with the whole thing. I Look forward to seeing who comes out as the Yule Jarls.

#87 HepatitisTK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSpace-Jello!

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:52 PM

I'd like to say thanks for hosting this tournament. The battles were hard fought and victories were truly earned.Well done to all.

Now, like the **** out of Hepatitis! :D

#88 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:19 PM

someone wanted videos?

Here is my playlist for all the games I scoreboarded above.

http://www.youtube.c...snyxrVZhwhOjIhW

#89 Malzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:10 PM

High praise for Dane and the Isengrim from the 1RDR, here. We had a hell of a night, and I was blown away by how smoothly everything went. I'm certain that just having private matches at our disposal was a godsend this time around, but having the lobby set up to mirror the bracket, so we just dropped down to the corresponding channel to find our next match-up was an excellent idea. Talk about battles being won before they start, the foresight and planning for this year's tournament was top-notch and practically guaranteed success before folks even showed up.

Hat's off to Blue Vengeance, who had a piledriver of a brawler lance and a penchant for ambushes. Lot of apprehension and "Are they behind us?" as we searched through the deserted Frozen City in both matches. 1st Hussars had a good team that had us pinned down with superior range on Forest Colony in the second match, SuperAtomic won MVP for stopping my berserker charge and making us use the terrain. And we salute the Flying Narwhaals, especially after learning about the hurdles and odds they overcame as a team. You guys did everything right, we just benefited from a good start location on Alpine and more builds at our disposal, and I have a new-found respect for that Dragon!

We'd like to thank everyone who came out to make the Yule Tournament 2014 a big hit, especially the 5th Drakons for letting our subs team up with their subs so they could mix it up together. We're pumped to face Dane and his Jarlsguard next week, same time, same channel.

I'll see if we can post up vids of our matches, provided they weren't damaged in the suitably Norse after-party that followed the evening's festivities.

#90 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:00 PM

OKAY YA'LL The official bracket is ready to roll!
I did make one change, sorry for the confusion, after writing it all out it made more sense for the 2-1's to fight the 3-1 teams in the Midgard bracket. So again, sorry for that. I've edited my above post to reflect that change and it is clearly visible in the Midgard Bracket.

Posted Image

Edited by Mech The Dane, 07 December 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#91 Veralas

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:33 PM

Hey thanks for the shout out Malzel, the guys said they had tons of fun teaming up with your guys last night!

#92 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:41 PM

A big thanks to all who have made this tournament possible, it is even more fun than the last time.

We had a great time, even though the 1stRDR stomped us on Frozen City, luckily we could win our other games. Malzel, I hope for some payback in the finals, so make sure you dont get thrown out before that.
Also big thanks for the SoR, the Husars and the Pop Tartans, especially for the Pop Tartans, because we used a particular ****** tactic on River City and they still weren´t mad at us. :D

#93 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:34 PM

View PostKlappspaten, on 07 December 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

especially for the Pop Tartans, because we used a particular ****** tactic on River City and they still weren´t mad at us. :D

Yeah I worry about camping.

#94 Malzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:00 AM

Hey, you can't claim to be surprised when a guy named "Klappspaten" ends up digging in!

Sorry, Klapp, I couldn't resist!

For the unaware, a klappspaten.

Edited by Malzel, 08 December 2014 - 12:18 AM.

#95 Malzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:14 AM

More seriously,

Camping will always be a tricky issue unless we play on Assault or Conquest. (Won't lie, a Conquest tournament sounds kinda fun in its own way) To a degree, camping is completely legitimate: it's just smart tactics for a team with specialized builds to find good ground and hold it, and it's likewise smart tactics for the team without the good ground to realize that and not go charging into a trap if they know they can't handle it. If a sniper lance has pitched a tent up on a hill, and a brawler lance is holed up in a cave, they're both technically making smart (if boring) decisions, so I wouldn't want to force snipers to charge a brawler trap or force brawlers into a sniper range because of an over-reaching anti-camp rule.

Next year it might be interesting to have a "lowest tonnage wins draws" clause, so lances are kinda building themselves with that possibility in mind. If you maximize your tonnage, that's fine, but you can't camp because the other guy will win it. If you minimize your tonnage, you could win by camping, but you'll be out-tonned and out-gunned when your opponents come for you.

If that's too close to Clanner bidding, I'll show myself out. :unsure:

Edited by Malzel, 08 December 2014 - 12:20 AM.

#96 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:38 AM

View PostMalzel, on 08 December 2014 - 12:14 AM, said:

Next year it might be interesting to have a "lowest tonnage wins draws" clause
Nope; loophole: you take the lightest mech in each class, find the best hiding spot, and shutdown until the timer runs out.

A more plausible clause (a more clauseable plause?) might be 'most damaged' loses or 'most damage' wins. But even then, you could find the loop hole and land a few early game guass+ppc+ac5, then find a spot and hide until time's up. I think it's best just to allow draws to be draws. A good team knows when a draw is the best option in a given situation, and a better team executes it gracefully.

Edited by Tarogato, 08 December 2014 - 01:42 AM.

#97 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:58 AM

View PostMalzel, on 08 December 2014 - 12:00 AM, said:

Hey, you can't claim to be surprised when a guy named "Klappspaten" ends up digging in!

Sorry, Klapp, I couldn't resist!

For the unaware, a klappspaten.

Exactly my thinking, but, you still need to be aware that its also the standard melee weapon in the Bundewehr. ^^

And on the camping thing:
As I understand camping, we did that only once on river city and it backfired badly. We always where either on the move, or we were visible. So we just switched on a long range deck and went out on the water.

First, this isn´t Counterstrike or CoD, this still is a game about tactics, and why should I drop a tactic I can win with.
Second, this is still a tournament, I will rather risk a few boring games and stay in.

#98 DaemonWulfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:55 PM

View PostKlappspaten, on 08 December 2014 - 04:58 AM, said:

Exactly my thinking, but, you still need to be aware that its also the standard melee weapon in the Bundewehr. ^^

And on the camping thing:
As I understand camping, we did that only once on river city and it backfired badly. We always where either on the move, or we were visible. So we just switched on a long range deck and went out on the water.

First, this isn´t Counterstrike or CoD, this still is a game about tactics, and why should I drop a tactic I can win with.
Second, this is still a tournament, I will rather risk a few boring games and stay in.

Nothing wrong with that, bro. Sometimes longer matches can be just as intense as quick brawl matches as long as good exchanges are happening. If in the end you win, you know it's sound strategy. Some people aren't going to like it, especially if it works. Others, will be more focused on developing a counter-tactic.

#99 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostDaemonWulfe, on 08 December 2014 - 12:55 PM, said:

Nothing wrong with that, bro. Sometimes longer matches can be just as intense as quick brawl matches as long as good exchanges are happening. If in the end you win, you know it's sound strategy. Some people aren't going to like it, especially if it works. Others, will be more focused on developing a counter-tactic.

My thoughts exactly, I really like to win with a superior tactic.
Last week we had a 12 v 12 tournament match and we won one of the 9 games without a single shot beeing fired, :D
And there was nothing they could have done ^^

#100 Malzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:27 PM

View PostTarogato, on 08 December 2014 - 01:38 AM, said:

Nope; loophole: you take the lightest mech in each class, find the best hiding spot, and shutdown until the timer runs out.

A more plausible clause (a more clauseable plause?) might be 'most damaged' loses or 'most damage' wins. But even then, you could find the loop hole and land a few early game guass+ppc+ac5, then find a spot and hide until time's up. I think it's best just to allow draws to be draws. A good team knows when a draw is the best option in a given situation, and a better team executes it gracefully.

That "loophole" is intentional. If you honestly wanted to do that, you could. But the maps aren't that large, and when I found your Locust, Cicada, Dragon, Victor lance with my Banshee, Cataphract, Griffin, Firestarter lance, you'd lose every time. That'd be a one-trick pony setup that might snag you a troll win, but wouldn't stand a serious chance to win the overall tourney. The smarter way to go would just to be to optimize your mechs and not take any spare tonnage you don't need. Take a HGN instead of an AS7, an BJ instead of an SDH, TDR instead of an ON1, etc, so that you're still an effective fighting lance, but if you've under-bid your opponent, you have also have the draw-as-a-win option on the table. That solves the camping issue and introduces some build variety at the same time, as teams try to undercut each other without sacrificing too much armor and firepower.

Most damage dealt is a valid addition, and that would cover the games where a super-light lance just ran away the whole time; as long as the heavier lance landed some shots, they would win. But doesn't cover the matches where no damage takes place, i.e. the sniper vs brawler situation I mentioned. Both of those teams would be pretty stupid to engage the other without favorable ground, so a 0-damage draw is the "smart" play for both sides. Draws-as-draws isn't a problem in the group queue, but it's definitely a problem in a tournament like this, where draws either knock you out of the running, or the whole tournament grinds to a halt as those two teams play re-match after re-match until someone slips up, hence the tonnage decider.

This is all theoretical, though, not in response to anything that's actually happened, and we don't have to clutter up the thread with idle theory.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users