This sounds great to me!

#324 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:07 AM

BAP is okay for now. Wait for the Loki though. Loki means 6 to 7 mechs per team might carry ECM. Loki means a reasonably good LRM mech under an ECM bubble that might also carry BAP and TAG.

You should look at MW3's SSRMs. They were center mass targeting like the original SSRMs in MWO, but they had a turn radius so large that Light mechs could zig-zag and dodge them, but Assaults could not. Heavies, not much. Mediums pretty well. This allowed Clan SSRMs to be powerful, but miss Lights or only score a partial hit unless a complete surprise. So much so that in MW3 online PvP most Lights just ran up to SSRM mechs with their Flamers with immunity to being hit by SSRMs. (MW3 runs on Nvidia cards with forced vertical sync and AA set to Off.)

#325 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:23 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 28 November 2014 - 11:07 AM, said:

BAP is okay for now. Wait for the Loki though. Loki means 6 to 7 mechs per team might carry ECM. Loki means a reasonably good LRM mech under an ECM bubble that might also carry BAP and TAG.

It's coming today, by the way...

#326 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:27 AM

"They won't know what'll hit them."

#327 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:28 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 28 November 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

BAP nerf (indirect ECM buff) just in time for the Smellbringer. Hmmm...

#328 Agent 0 Fortune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

They are trying to sell Loki's, of course they are going to push ECM (or in this case nerf BAP).
Then next month when the next mech lands, and they don't' want the new mech getting violated by ECM mechs, they will change it back to maintain sales.

Edited by Agent 0 Fortune, 28 November 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#329 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 28 November 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

Fantastic.

Maybe it will bring some balance to the whole ECM/LRM see-saw we have going on. I mentioned it in another post but it seems when BAP was 180m the team with more ECM had an advantage. At 360m the team with more LRMs is at an advantage. Maybe, just maybe, 240m might fix that issue.

#330 ollo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:46 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 12 November 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

Prior to the Nov 4th - 65% of 'Mechs carried BAP.

Post Nov 4th - 65% of 'Mechs carry BAP.

Not sure the LRM flow has been effected much - yes it is reaching out further. For 1.5 tons do you like it as is now, or at a smaller radius.

I don't know, i still kinda question the number... 65% of all mechs out there opposed to maybe 4% on my mechs. It just seems a little off, but maybe I'm the one off here... :ph34r:

But speaking of in-game impact, i welcome the effect on the LRM tonnage that used to be useless in group queue (and based on 2d6 in PUG queue AKA MM, too). I'd say leave it where it is right now unless a huge issue shows up - after all, we're here to shoot the crap out of each other, and I'm happy if we can actually do this instead of staring at a flickering HUD. <_<

#331 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:54 PM

View Postollo, on 28 November 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

I don't know, i still kinda question the number... 65% of all mechs out there opposed to maybe 4% on my mechs. It just seems a little off, but maybe I'm the one off here... :ph34r:

But speaking of in-game impact, i welcome the effect on the LRM tonnage that used to be useless in group queue (and based on 2d6 in PUG queue AKA MM, too). I'd say leave it where it is right now unless a huge issue shows up - after all, we're here to shoot the crap out of each other, and I'm happy if we can actually do this instead of staring at a flickering HUD. <_<

Nothing prevents you from shooting ECM screened mechs as long as they are in direct line of sight. It just requires a bit more skill to do so like you have to actually look for movement rather than have your target light up brightly with red rectangles and an arrow. Also you have to guess at damaged areas by the smoke or glow rather than have vulnerable points pointed out to you. Then if your an LRM boat, you actually have to climb out from behind your rock and actually TAG and enemy to fire him or rely on your team to use TAG and NARC, you know something you would typically do in a team game or I don't know, stop boating and mount up a few direct fire weapons and actually get in there and actually play them game.

Seriously ECM did nothing but make the game a bit harder and require more skill and it just amazes me how many people are opposed to anything that isn't just point and click.

#332 ollo

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 28 November 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

Nothing prevents you from shooting ECM screened mechs as long as they are in direct line of sight. It just requires a bit more skill to do so like you have to actually look for movement rather than have your target light up brightly with red rectangles and an arrow. Also you have to guess at damaged areas by the smoke or glow rather than have vulnerable points pointed out to you. Then if your an LRM boat, you actually have to climb out from behind your rock and actually TAG and enemy to fire him or rely on your team to use TAG and NARC, you know something you would typically do in a team game or I don't know, stop boating and mount up a few direct fire weapons and actually get in there and actually play them game.

Seriously ECM did nothing but make the game a bit harder and require more skill and it just amazes me how many people are opposed to anything that isn't just point and click.

I don't pilot LRM/SSRM boats usually, but my founder CPLT and some other mechs are really unhappy when they are forced to shoot their already crap weapons at soon-to-be-dirt just for the sake of it. Sometimes i just don't like to play my point-and-click laser vomit mechs because i count on teamplay - but that doesn't work most of the time in PUGs and is still hard enough when the barely existing teamwork is/was essentially nullified by 1.5 tons of equipment, as you are absolutely clueless of anything the team discovers and you don't see by yourself. Regardless of LRMs of course, because lacking the radar info of teammates also affects every non-LRM build as well.

#333 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:35 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 28 November 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

Fantastic.

Maybe it will bring some balance to the whole ECM/LRM see-saw we have going on. I mentioned it in another post but it seems when BAP was 180m the team with more ECM had an advantage. At 360m the team with more LRMs is at an advantage. Maybe, just maybe, 240m might fix that issue.

Never is the team with more LRM's at an advantage, any advantage that might occur in a match that the LRM heavy team was involved in would HAVE to entail that the red team was full of bad or new players, and happen on one of the few maps this could have any chance of occuring on..

The team with the most bad players will lose rule is what is occurring, not the myth of the team with the most LRM's will win.

#334 Walluh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 682 posts
  • LocationLovingly stroking my Crab Waifu

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:44 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 28 November 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

They are trying to sell Loki's, of course they are going to push ECM (or in this case nerf BAP).
Then next month when the next mech lands, and they don't' want the new mech getting violated by ECM mechs, they will change it back to maintain sales.

That would make sense if the Pirates Bane and Mist Lynx didn't come out before it with the BAP buff still going. But, you know, keep your founders tinfoil hat on.

#335 Kreisel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 466 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:25 PM

240-180=60
The dependably effective usable range of LRM against Mechs/teams with ECM is now... 60m.... a smaller range than flamers or machine guns... yeah that seems 'fair.'
I'd also like the point out it means LRM with an effective shorter range the SRM.

For those of you pointing out that you can still dumbfire LRM, yes, but remember this is a weapon with a velocity so low people can avoid it when it has homing properties. You pretty much wont hit anything that isn't standing complete still at even moderate ranges. I seem to recall actually counting out in the training grounds that it takes around 12 to 15 seconds for LRM to actually reach a target at 1000. They also tend to fly in weird archs.

It's incredibly unreliable in PUGS that an ally will have BAP AND stay within range of a ECM mech long enough for you missiles to reach the target. You can waste a LOT of ammo that way. At this range it's only going to help LRM when allies really get fully dug in for the Brawl, which means you didn't really get a chance to soften up the targets BEFORE they start brawling them, which kind of means you failed at half your job as a support fire mech. Sure you can help during the brawl, but by that time friendly are getting chewed up and you might be more helpful if you were down there in the brawl with them with SRM.

#336 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:58 PM

well the money thing backfired on them again. another nerf just to sell ECM mechs. So I just spent the $100 i would have used on this game at ironwind metals. 4 mechs and a dropship!

They keep nerfing and I won't even buy the vulture or resistance package. No reason to with so many people wanting just another twitch shooter.

#337 Fajther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan, usa

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:05 PM

The bap does feel a little on the strong side at the moment. The most annoying feature of ecm was that it countered any number of lrm systems with just one ecm. Now, any number of ecms are countered with one bap. It is like the evil side got switched. Uh... Maybe a little less effective range, but it does feel better then before. Your are really going in a good direction.

#338 CrushLibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 546 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

should have been 300m balanced between IS and Clan Steak ranges

#339 -Halcyon-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:16 PM

View PostCrushLibs, on 28 November 2014 - 05:09 PM, said: