Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 Or Razer Deathadder?

15 replies to this topic

#1 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:39 PM

Cause I wish to buy one of them soon and over here they are both priced the same.

#2 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:12 AM

The intellimouse was discontinued years ago, still in stock where you live?

I'm using a zowie fk, bit smaller and lighter than deathadder, heavy clicks though, if I were to buy now I'd probably get a kana V2.

#3 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:20 AM

I'm on my second Deathadder (after spilling soda on the first one and making one of the side buttons permanently stick), love it.

#4 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:23 AM

That's an...odd dichotomy.

I would throw out the Intellimouse as a consideration. Yes, it has a really high refresh rate, but 9000ips isn't going to help with gaming on an otherwise mediocre mouse. It has a lackluster, perhaps even outright terrible 450DPI, poor reported tactile response on the buttons, and a lousy ergonomic design. Gaming mice also have sensors more designed for the rigors of gaming. Most gaming mice, for instance, especially laser-based mice, have lift-off compensation to compensate for lift/tilt during intense gamplay (some even let you adjust this, but I don't consider that hugely important). Don't expect a Microsoft intellimouse built with office use, maybe CAD work in mind, to handle high speed gaming the same way.

...which means your choices are now down to "or Razer DeathAdder"

Maybe you want to consider expanding that a bit? Even if you live in an expensive place with limited selection, SOME of these will be widely available.

It looks like you're basically looking in the $40-$60 USD equivalent range (so no G502 :( but that's okay). Here are good options and maybe reasons to consider them (I've used maybe half, the other half are those that are just well-reviewed). All have 1000hz polling rates it looks like.

Razer Taipan - $55 - 8200DPI/9 button: similar to the DeathAdder, but with an updated sensor with customizable lift-off comensation, is specifically built for ambidexterity. It's basically a better DeathAdder for the same basic price.

Mad Catz R.A.T. TE - $50 - 8200DPI/9 button: good for gamers who prefer exremely light-weight mice, has lift-off compensation up to 1mm to complement the light-weight, has sniper button ("hold-down DPI switch") (haven't used it, but on paper it looks like a clear winner for light-mouse users, though Mad Catz is not known for rugged reliability)

Corsair M65 - $55 - 8200DPI/8 button: Has adjustable weight, sniper button, ruggedly built (aluminum unibody), Corsair gear is generally highly reliable and carries good customer service

Logitech G402 - $60 - 4000DPI/8 button: G400 update, praised in reviews for tracking/movement; shape avoids mousepad digging and Logitech supplements the laser sensor with an accelarometer and gyroscope (onboard processing handles the extra computing overheard). Being Logitech, you could probably drop it out of a plane and still use it afterward.

Roccat Kova- $40-$50 - 3200DPI/8 button*: This mouse is economical, another highly-ambi entry to the market, and comes with a very unique feature for those wanting lots of buttons - a "shift" key that changes all the buttons to a second set of functions (programmable, so you can adjust which ones switch and what they switch to). That probably makes this the most multifunction gaming mouse out there (good MMO mouse?).

Older honorable mentions: in case you're in a tough market to buy from, here are some others that I'd consider that might be cheaper, easier-to-find, and still really good

Logitech G5/G500: oldie but goodies, Logitech's first laser entry and it's successor. Both have adjustable weights and great sensors, and can probably be found on the used market cheap (and they're built like tanks; aside from cloth fraying on the wire sheat these things will last you literally decades). Sensor occasionally gets hung up on hair/dust (just pick it up and blow on the sensor, I have this problem with mine maybe once every few weeks to few months)

Logitech MX-518/G400: REAL oldie but still really good, this is possibly the longest-lived continuously produced gaming mouse out there that I'm aware of. Optical, not laser, but has good features and respectable tracking (1800DPI) and should be dirt, dirt cheap and widely available new or used. The G400 is a re-release, and still cheap (our used market has both for $20-30). Also built like tanks.

I'm not obsessed with Logitech by any means, but they were a real early powerhouse for mice last decade, so their stuff is widely available, and also really, really tough and long-lasting which has lead to a strong used market presence. Razer was also an early entrant, but with vastly more expensive, inferior-value products that just didn't stick around (eg the Copperhead and Diamondback).

As an aside, Razer stuff still comes at a huge premium over what it's worth across all their product lines, even if it is overall good stuff. So keep that in mind. Their headsets and laptops are poor values, too, so it's not just mice. Offerings elsewhere will give better features at the same price. I don't dislike Razer, but their mice became well known in an era when the entire premium mouse market was them and Logitech. With perhaps a dozen major companies in the market now with spectacular products, all better values than Razer's offerings, including some I haven't even mentioned (like Steelseries), it's hard to see their mice as really good considerations anymore. I only threw one up therein case your market didn't have good availability of others' mice. Even at the top end, why buy any Razer mouse for $100 or more when the Logitech G502 is widely considered the best gaming mouse out there (Tom's said it was "hands down" the best overall mouse)... for like $75? Anyways, /rant off

I hope that gives a better idea of what the market offers you. DeathAdder vs Intellimouse is a lousy pair of options.

Edit: corrected mistaken information on G400

Edited by Catamount, 15 November 2014 - 06:50 AM.

#5 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:43 AM

That's a massive post catamount.

Anyway, hardware snobs know the top gaming mice are all optical and not laser. mx518/g400/400s, deathadder 2013, zowie fk, kana v2, all use the adns 3090 sensor, which is still unbeaten.

also, 450 dpi is a bit low for desktop use, but not unbearable, it's fine for gaming.

#6 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

View PostFlapdrol, on 14 November 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

That's a massive post catamount.

Anyway, hardware snobs know the top gaming mice are all optical and not laser. mx518/g400/400s, deathadder 2013, zowie fk, kana v2, all use the adns 3090 sensor, which is still unbeaten.

also, 450 dpi is a bit low for desktop use, but not unbearable, it's fine for gaming.

Thanks guys. I personally have very little knowledge when it comes to gaming mouse. Living in Mongolia, the selection of good gaming mice are limited.

I think I saw a Deathadder 2013 on a shelf. Anyways I can know whether it is genuine or not without opening the box? Cause staff doesn't want me to open it.

Edited by El Bandito, 14 November 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#7 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:08 AM

The hardware snobs who assert superiority of optical over laser are tantamount to audio "snobs" (a term I use loosely because audiophiles at least usually know better than to avoid this logic) who like 24/192.

Yes, on paper, optical sensors have their advantages. Do they make a practical difference? Not in my experience, nor do I ever hear it mentioned much outside of the very occasional dark corner of the world of Internet forums. Unless you're someone who wants to be top-tier competitive in a pure twitch shooter like CS:GO (boring?), and you're someone who happens to be bothered by acceleration, and that's a big if, it's never going to matter. Features that are handy and allow for a better interface with the game are going to be much more noticeable, and that's especially true in MWO, which can be somewhat button-heavy as games go. Were I in the market, sure, I'd get a G402 or 502 (Logitech's new opticals), but I'm also not money-market limited, so I can afford (and find stores to get) both features and covering bases on insignificant tracking differences, and frankly, I'd buy either of those two mice on features first and foremost, and tracking as a massively different second.

Hell, on paper the G402 should be the most accurately tracking mouse on Earth. Has anyone ever managed to find an advantage to it there? Not that I'm aware of.

Also, I play MWO at more than 450DPI, and that's a very low sensitivity type game. I really wouldn't want that to be some kind of overall cap. I also wouldn't want to lose on-the-fly DPI adjustment, ever.

I think I saw a Deathadder 2013 on a shelf. Anyways I can know whether it is genuine or not without opening the box? Cause staff doesn't want me to open it.

Isn't there some online place you could buy from? It would be cheaper, whatever you decided to go with, and you could pick and choose outlets that could offer guarantees on authenticity by virtue of being reputable, hopefully authorized sellers, and hopefully having reputable return policies. Just where are you buying this from?

Edited by Catamount, 15 November 2014 - 07:21 AM.

#8 Rattler85

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:28 AM

I am very content with my Razer Death Adder.

#9 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:13 AM

View PostCatamount, on 15 November 2014 - 07:08 AM, said:

Unless you're someone who wants to be top-tier competitive in a pure twitch shooter like CS:GO (boring?), and you're someone who happens to be bothered by acceleration

Acceleration didn't bother me until I got a mouse without it, now it does :), makes a big difference in all shooters imo. Anyway, I figured since opticals aren't really more expensive than a laser, might as well get one with perfect tracking instead of near perfect with a slight bit of acceleration.

Edited by Flapdrol, 15 November 2014 - 08:30 AM.

#10 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:32 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 14 November 2014 - 07:34 PM, said:

Thanks guys. I personally have very little knowledge when it comes to gaming mouse. Living in Mongolia, the selection of good gaming mice are limited.

It would be hard to know if it's genuine or not without opening it (here in the United States, we almost never have to worry about that, but I can understand in Mongolia that could be a problem). The triggers are pretty unmistakable, the Deathadder uses Razer's standard switches which have a nice firm click to them. That would be the easiest way to tell, but I recall that the packaging covered the mouse in plastic and you wouldn't really be able to test that.

#11 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:49 PM

View PostCatamount, on 15 November 2014 - 07:08 AM, said:

Isn't there some online place you could buy from? It would be cheaper, whatever you decided to go with, and you could pick and choose outlets that could offer guarantees on authenticity by virtue of being reputable, hopefully authorized sellers, and hopefully having reputable return policies. Just where are you buying this from?

In my place the price of it is around $45, so I think it is cheap enough. I am buying it from a small computer mall, which happens to be the biggest in Ulaanbaatar city.

Now they are importing it straight from China, and there are Chinese characters on the cover etc....

#12 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:14 PM

There are legit copies that come like that, but to actually know if it's legit or not? My experience with knockoff electronics is that it's usually reasonably obvious if it's a fake once you get the box open, and you can easily check the serial # with Razer, but beyond that? I have no clue how you'd tell for sure short of just making sure the buyer was reputable.

View PostFlapdrol, on 15 November 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

Acceleration didn't bother me until I got a mouse without it, now it does :), makes a big difference in all shooters imo. Anyway, I figured since opticals aren't really more expensive than a laser, might as well get one with perfect tracking instead of near perfect with a slight bit of acceleration.

ugh but the older ones are so anemic on features and versatility! :P

#13 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

I have a Deathadder left-handed edition (actually I have two -- I bought a new one which arrived this morning as the left-click on my old one was failing). Two things to be mindful of:

1) Register the warranty. In the UK it comes with a 2 year warranty (YMMV) and had I remembered that and RMA'd mine when the logo-light failed, rather than ignoring it, I probably wouldn't own two

2) The Razer software ("Synapse") is a bit annoying. It syncs your mouse settings between computers (which is useful if you game on multiple PCs. I don't) and does the various configuration stuff, but it does seem to update fairly often and pretty much always needs a reboot afterward.

#14 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:51 AM

View PostAno, on 16 November 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

I have a Deathadder left-handed edition (actually I have two -- I bought a new one which arrived this morning as the left-click on my old one was failing). Two things to be mindful of:

1) Register the warranty. In the UK it comes with a 2 year warranty (YMMV) and had I remembered that and RMA'd mine when the logo-light failed, rather than ignoring it, I probably wouldn't own two

2) The Razer software ("Synapse") is a bit annoying. It syncs your mouse settings between computers (which is useful if you game on multiple PCs. I don't) and does the various configuration stuff, but it does seem to update fairly often and pretty much always needs a reboot afterward.

Thanks for the info, I just bought the Deathadder 2013, and it does seem like the real deal. :) I installed the Synapse jsut to see if it is genuine. The mouse config sounds interesting but the constant update seems a hassle. I'll see if I can stop any updates.

#15 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:03 AM

Synapse isn't especially useful, but I never found it too bothersome back when I had it installed for Razer Surround. I think you'll be fine.

Edited by Catamount, 17 November 2014 - 04:03 AM.

#16 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

Glad you got what you were looking for!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users