Clan Lights? Balancing Tool?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:35 AM

now this could be just me as im not much of a light guy to begin with... but lets get real these lights are dominated by the IS lights every one of them i believe, i mean this myst lynx is a complete and utter joke u lose your arms if a stray shot evens comes near you...

anyone else having better luck then me? share your loadouts id love to have a light for CW

#2 MalodorousMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 283 posts
  • Location, location, location

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:08 AM

There isn't really a light for the clans in the sense we've come to understand for the inner sphere. With the inner sphere, you can slap on a max engine and go 150kph. The closest the clans have to that is actually a medium: the Ice Ferret.

So you won't find a clan light that can run circles around and inner sphere one. You need to play the clan lights differently. I've had alot of luck with the Adder, but I play it more like a medium. I run 2CERLL, 2CERML and have gotten high damage in a lot of games. The high-mounted torso energy slots make pop-sniping very viable for it, and a lot of people ignore the adders in favor of bigger mechs.

#3 Asheron Storm

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:19 AM

I can see why you say this, but I disagree to some extent.

The clan light mechs (in lore, not specifically MWO) are designed with a different purpose than the inner sphere light mechs. Inner sphere lights are generally considered scout mechs, while the Adder and Kit Fox are both primarily fire support mechs. This means that the Adder and Kit Fox are actually more comparable to IS mediums than they are to IS lights. The lack of Clan dedicated scouts is a large part of the reason that IS victories over the Clans tend to involve drawing the clans into traps.

In MWO there's sort of a "perfect storm" of factors that make Clan lights.. well.. let's just say "fun" choices. What it mostly comes down to is that the same factors which make lights better than mediums, also make IS lights superior to Clan lights. In addition, in the alternate universe that MWO takes place in, the IS 'mechs are actually MORE customizable than Clan 'mechs. While a IS medium MIGHT be able to make changes to keep itself viable, the clan lights have no such opportunity.

In closing, Clan 'mechs are perfect to fill the role of medium mechs that can't be altered to mitigate their shortcomings, and also must keep all of their major weapons and equipment in their arms, in a game in which it's so easy to target specific locations.

#4 MalodorousMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 283 posts
  • Location, location, location

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:39 AM

View PostAsheron Storm, on 19 November 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

I can see why you say this, but I disagree to some extent.

The clan light mechs (in lore, not specifically MWO) are designed with a different purpose than the inner sphere light mechs. Inner sphere lights are generally considered scout mechs, while the Adder and Kit Fox are both primarily fire support mechs. This means that the Adder and Kit Fox are actually more comparable to IS mediums than they are to IS lights. The lack of Clan dedicated scouts is a large part of the reason that IS victories over the Clans tend to involve drawing the clans into traps.

In MWO there's sort of a "perfect storm" of factors that make Clan lights.. well.. let's just say "fun" choices. What it mostly comes down to is that the same factors which make lights better than mediums, also make IS lights superior to Clan lights. In addition, in the alternate universe that MWO takes place in, the IS 'mechs are actually MORE customizable than Clan 'mechs. While a IS medium MIGHT be able to make changes to keep itself viable, the clan lights have no such opportunity.

In closing, Clan 'mechs are perfect to fill the role of medium mechs that can't be altered to mitigate their shortcomings, and also must keep all of their major weapons and equipment in their arms, in a game in which it's so easy to target specific locations.

That sounds like what I said (without the lore stuff).

#5 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:45 AM

You want to go IS light hunting?

Adder, 4 x CSSRM6, ammo, CAP.

I love watching them run as soon as they see your loadout.

Edited by Kain Thul, 19 November 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#6 Ariazzzz

Rookie

• Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:02 AM

Well think about it,
The IS light are very ower powerd... but in the medium weight class dominate the Stromcrow the battlefield.
In the heavy weight class is the Timber Wolf one of the best mechs
In the assault weight class it will be balanced i think ... (I don´t play it :) )

Also .... I think it was be balanced now

Edited by Ariazzzz, 19 November 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#7 Diablo Intercepter

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:05 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 19 November 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

If you want to you could drop one of the SSRMs and add a tag laser to get faster locks. I've run into the 4 SSRM Adder while in a firestarter (I saw the missiles and immediately assumed they were LRMs) and the only reason I survived is because I was able to break the lock. That said I almost died, lost both arms and only had armor on one of my ST.

On a side note, with that built in CAP on the myst linx its almost like the game is trying to tell us something. I wonder what it could be?

#8 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:07 PM

I am having very good luck with 4 ML and 2 extra HS on my Mist Lynx. It might not be fast but this thing can float. Use JJ's in a duel to jump all over the ******* place and no one can hit those arms. I spend more time in the air then i do on the ground once i get stuck in. It may not be fast but it sure is nimble.

#9 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:21 PM

View PostDiablo Intercepter, on 19 November 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

If you want to you could drop one of the SSRMs and add a tag laser to get faster locks. I've run into the 4 SSRM Adder while in a firestarter (I saw the missiles and immediately assumed they were LRMs) and the only reason I survived is because I was able to break the lock. That said I almost died, lost both arms and only had armor on one of my ST.

On a side note, with that built in CAP on the myst linx its almost like the game is trying to tell us something. I wonder what it could be?

i hear you guys on the CAP thing but the myst lynx is a joke, u cant get enough ssrm on there to be of any threat at all. the ice ferret how ever does so so with its better speed... i will keep grinding away and see what works i do love the ssrm with range module :)

i probably just need a bunch more seat time

Edited by Summon3r, 19 November 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#10 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:39 PM

3 SSRM 2's and a ML is good fun, like the old "StreakMando" but no ecm and has JJ's and more range, great light hunter

#11 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:59 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 19 November 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

You want to go IS light hunting?

I love watching them run as soon as they see your loadout.

Do you love never getting to kill them as they scamper off at 150% of your speed though?

In all seriousness i can't get on with streaks on mechs that dont have JJs..

#12 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 21 November 2014 - 04:59 AM, said:

Do you love never getting to kill them as they scamper off at 150% of your speed though?

In all seriousness i can't get on with streaks on mechs that dont have JJs..

I wouldn't say never, they don't just teleport away. Yes, they can escape if they were fresh and you only get 1-2 salvos in. I still consider that a win when a Spider or something thinks he is going to run around inside our deathball with impunity backstabbing all of our assaults and I run him out of there by hitting him with streaks.

I killed quite a few Jenners last night in my Adder that only mounts 2 x C-SSRM6s. One of them was especially funny--he panicked pretty hard and tried to jj up a cliff but ran out of juice and came back down giving me time to hit him with more streaks and leg him for the finish.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users