36 replies to this topic

#1 Redwo1f

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 213 posts
  • LocationMaple Ridge, B.C. , Canada

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:20 PM

(*very experienced and actually a pretty decent player, but I have never actually played an assault (mainly a medium mech guy with remainder playing lights and some heavy...so pls forgive..*)

Working on a build, but have some questions for Victor pilots...

How common is it to lose both arms (on Victor) in a battle?
(I hate being weapon-less and have a build that uses only weapons in the arms, but am thinking about trying to get something (maybe srm4 or equivalent in the torso)...but would have to sacrifice to do so

Leg armour amount - how much is sufficient/good here? (I will have mine loaded with ammo)? 51-53 okay, or too low?

Jump jets - worth it at 2? should I even bother having only 1?
(I could get the maybe desired srm's in the torso if I sacrifice some or all)

Thanks for any advice from Victor pilots, much appreciated. :)

Regards, Redwolf

#2 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:07 PM

Im in your same boat. I run IS Mediums.. This Victor though,,it feels like a ****. Everyone knows to shoot off your right arm, using jump jets either blows your legs off or you get your armor stripped by a TBR, DWF or WHK alpha'ing you....Speed what speed 70kph means nothing in this game.

I completely understand why people ***** that this mech gets zero perks!!!! This mech is utterly useless.

Edited by mogs01gt, 23 November 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#3 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:20 PM

I am pretty meh at this but I have no problems getting the stock VTR-9S (C) in over 500 damage games.

However I am planning to switch the 2 UAC 5;s to an AC 20 because I like to have a mimic purpose to the stock mech..,. in this case a rare bread of brawler assaults.

it's really uncommon to have a brawler assault. (there is a difference between a brawler and juggernaut btw...)

#4 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:24 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 23 November 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

I am pretty meh at this but I have no problems getting the stock VTR-9S (C) in over 500 damage games.
However I am planning to switch the 2 UAC 5;s to an AC 20 because I like to have a mimic purpose to the stock mech..,. in this case a rare bread of brawler assaults.
it's really uncommon to have a brawler assault. (there is a difference between a brawler and juggernaut btw...)

How arent you getting wrecked by DWF's and TBRs? Im using an AC10(I like the projectile speed over the 20) and with its low slung arms, its hard to not have your entire torso exposed.

I feel like people see Victors the same I do in my Mediums...Easy kills.

Edited by mogs01gt, 23 November 2014 - 09:24 PM.

#5 Mankor

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:43 PM

Didn't the vic get passed over on the quirks b/c it was a tournament fav? AC10 and PPCs ftw. I can't say I like it. It feels like a slow centurion with two extra mpls...

Fav mech is TBT-M. LRM+A 15, LRM+A 10, 2 ml, tag, runs at 106.9 and has JJs. When they offered the Shads I wasn't interested. Farming for my set of DWs at the moment. Routinely get tops in a match. With the premium time this weekend I raked in the cbills.

The vic did perk my interest, could it be an assault that moves like a medium?! Not yet... Part of my problem is that I HATE unmastered chasis - this vic feels like an old man compared to my responsive set of TBTs. There must be a right way to play it. Right now I can't decide if I like it to brawl (srms + mpl) or mid support (PPC) - hard on the new swamp map - you can't see anything, and missles come raining from every where (that's partly why I love the map if I'm in my TBT-M).

I'd be interested to hear more about how it is used by good pilots.

To the author of the thread: Your problem is that you like mediums. The assaults are different. If you don't play them differently you won't like them. 70 is mov'n for an assault - ask my DW's.

Edited by Mankor, 23 November 2014 - 09:46 PM.

#6 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:46 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 November 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

How arent you getting wrecked by DWF's and TBRs? Im using an AC10(I like the projectile speed over the 20) and with its low slung arms, its hard to not have your entire torso exposed.

I feel like people see Victors the same I do in my Mediums...Easy kills.

IDk, any time I encountered a direwolf I just ran circles around it and ***** it.
The only time I ever saw a timberwolf it was running an LRM boat and it's missiles just bounced off me at 20 meters range.

#7 Sam Slade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:29 PM

I find the Victor plays best hunting other Assault mechs... only the Awesome has a hope of matching you for speed and you can always jump away. My best games in MWO have been in a Victor 9S with AC20, 2xMLas and an SRM 12(6,4,2)... however that was pre-JJ nerf. You can run this with STD325 or XL350.

Coming directly into the Victor in Assaults will be a steep learning curve if you're not familiar with the timing and movement of the larger Assaults(things you want to kill). If you're confident in your positioning and map knowledge then I'd advocate a measure of caution... until you get in amongst it; that's when you want to eat a couple of side torsos and then jump for the hills to reposition for your next run. Slugging it out toe to toe is not the way to go with a Victor... more so now that Clans are here.

#8 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:39 AM

View PostSam Slade, on 23 November 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:

I find the Victor plays best hunting other Assault mechs... only the Awesome has a hope of matching you for speed and you can always jump away. My best games in MWO have been in a Victor 9S with AC20, 2xMLas and an SRM 12(6,4,2)... however that was pre-JJ nerf. You can run this with STD325 or XL350. Coming directly into the Victor in Assaults will be a steep learning curve if you're not familiar with the timing and movement of the larger Assaults(things you want to kill). If you're confident in your positioning and map knowledge then I'd advocate a measure of caution... until you get in amongst it; that's when you want to eat a couple of side torsos and then jump for the hills to reposition for your next run. Slugging it out toe to toe is not the way to go with a Victor... more so now that Clans are here.

I understand your point... i found the Victor too squishy compared to other assaults and even some heavies (TW, DRG) but when you have a good point of vantage you can deliver some loads of damage quickly w/o much heat.

Got my champion Victor on the tournament, changed the SMRs for LRM10-A to grind exp with assists, rellocated the ammo, added an AMS, changed MPL for ML, 1 JJ, liked it. Then tried removing 1 UAC5 and changing 2 ML for 2ERPPC for a sniper-like role... awful. Can't even do 300 damage.
Might try a full brawling build when the tournament (aka LRM fest) ends.

Is 3xSSRM2 worth trying?

#9 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:01 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 23 November 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

IDk, any time I encountered a direwolf I just ran circles around it and ***** it.
The only time I ever saw a timberwolf it was running an LRM boat and it's missiles just bounced off me at 20 meters range.

I wish I had your opponents! Every DWF or TBR Im up against has ******* Gauss rifles. BAM, ST red!! I might try ac10+PPC+SRMs.

Something like this
VTR-9S(C)

I was using 2 large lasers but I felt like I spent too much time with my torso towards the target instead of firing and twisting away.

Edited by mogs01gt, 24 November 2014 - 06:31 AM.

#10 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:27 AM

View PostAscaloth, on 24 November 2014 - 02:39 AM, said:

I understand your point... i found the Victor too squishy compared to other assaults and even some heavies (TW, DRG) but when you have a good point of vantage you can deliver some loads of damage quickly w/o much heat.

Got my champion Victor on the tournament, changed the SMRs for LRM10-A to grind exp with assists, rellocated the ammo, added an AMS, changed MPL for ML, 1 JJ, liked it. Then tried removing 1 UAC5 and changing 2 ML for 2ERPPC for a sniper-like role... awful. Can't even do 300 damage.
Might try a full brawling build when the tournament (aka LRM fest) ends.
Is 3xSSRM2 worth trying?
3xSSRM2s + BAP trades in at about the same weight as the SRM12(6,4,2) and I've used both; in this case it depends on role, play style and hit reg(to a lesser extent) though the BAP buffs make it more appealing. The triple streak is good if you're fighting less experienced opponents or are playing back-up to a larger team mate(woe to the light that tangles with you... if you can land an AC20 hit or two) but it cannot match the SRMs for raw, side torso eating focused DPS(get behind anything and it's lost a side torso).Streaks on chain fire will rattle someone who guards their own hide over taking their enemies.

#11 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:00 PM

View PostSam Slade, on 24 November 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

3xSSRM2s + BAP trades in at about the same weight as the SRM12(6,4,2) and I've used both; in this case it depends on role, play style and hit reg(to a lesser extent) though the BAP buffs make it more appealing. The triple streak is good if you're fighting less experienced opponents or are playing back-up to a larger team mate(woe to the light that tangles with you... if you can land an AC20 hit or two) but it cannot match the SRMs for raw, side torso eating focused DPS(get behind anything and it's lost a side torso).Streaks on chain fire will rattle someone who guards their own hide over taking their enemies.

Hit reg being the biggest issue. I swear PPC's never hit!

#12 Commodore Perspicuous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:40 PM

View PostRedwo1f, on 23 November 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

(*very experienced and actually a pretty decent player, but I have never actually played an assault (mainly a medium mech guy with remainder playing lights and some heavy...so pls forgive..*)

Working on a build, but have some questions for Victor pilots...

How common is it to lose both arms (on Victor) in a battle?
(I hate being weapon-less and have a build that uses only weapons in the arms, but am thinking about trying to get something (maybe srm4 or equivalent in the torso)...but would have to sacrifice to do so

Leg armour amount - how much is sufficient/good here? (I will have mine loaded with ammo)? 51-53 okay, or too low?

Jump jets - worth it at 2? should I even bother having only 1?
(I could get the maybe desired srm's in the torso if I sacrifice some or all)

Thanks for any advice from Victor pilots, much appreciated. :)

Regards, Redwolf

As a one-time almost exclusive Victor pilot, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I lost both arms without dying. Victors, given their synergy with XL engines and Assault models are ultimately fairly easy to kill by shredding side torsos. Which means it is, imo, perfectly ok to be arm-focused with your weapons. Put a lot of hurt in those arms and just keep moving until everyone else is dead or you are. Still, I always run at least something small in a torso slot, just in case. But that's just my preference.

51-53 leg armor is doable, but I wouldn't recommend going any lower...

As for jets, I am from the school of "the more, the merrier." If not for combat mobility, at least to give you options for engagement positioning. I try to run my Victors with 3 jets. 2 will be ok for low poptarting and some jump turning. Post JJ nerfs, I don't think just 1 is worth it on any mech. But then, I never thought just 1 was ever worth it...

#13 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:45 PM

I'm pretty experienced in Assaults, but hadn't run a Victor before. After a couple matches with it stock (c), I switched it up to this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...db30a2cf2a210ef

Just 2 AC5s, 2 LPLs. Really simple build. Like you, I was worried my arms would get blown off, but I found out that with good hitboxes, the CT was the damage magnet - I don't think I ever lost an arm, but I sure had my CT turned cherry a lot.

#14 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:52 PM

VTR's are similar to warhawk's, they reinforce lines and deliver good all around performance for the class, turning nerfs limit it's hit and run ability but JJ's help with this.

long range is good if you can protect your side torso's.

low amount of hardpoints favor larger weapons.

LRM's are limited by tubes.

SSRM's are limited by torso twist speed/overall speed.

+4xJJ (or more) allow plenty of distance in the air. (4=23m 6=36m, IOW; second floor jumps)

Edited by zudukai, 24 November 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#15 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:56 PM

VTR-9K
VTR-9S
VTR-9S
VTR-9S

Edited by zudukai, 24 November 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#16 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:19 PM

This is my favorite Victor build. This thing can really punish the enemy. You just have to make sure you aren't the focus of their agro...

#17 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostSword of Morning, on 24 November 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

This is my favorite Victor build. This thing can really punish the enemy. You just have to make sure you aren't the focus of their agro...

yeah, VTR's are not tanky, but can put out the damage, play offensively.

Edited by zudukai, 24 November 2014 - 01:54 PM.

#18 Pizza Knight

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:54 PM

I used to love my vic but then 6 or 8 months ago they nerfed its mobility and made if feel more like atlas when twisting and turning. I haven't seen a lot of them since the nerf. Maybe that's why they are giving it away now.... It's still a decent mech and I rarely lost my arms.

Edited by Pizza Night, 24 November 2014 - 06:56 PM.

#19 Neput Z34

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 244 posts
  • Location...far away from a Land of my birth...

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:17 PM

Victors have good mobility for an assault mech and can pack some heavy short range fire power, mostly from combination of ballistics and SRMs.

Victor and Awesome to assaults are what Dragon and Quickdraw are to heavies, flankers / skirmishers. Going toe to toe with mechs of similar weight is ill advised, hit and fade is preferred.

VTR-9B - fun build

#20 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:22 PM

The Victor COULD be a really fun mech, but the tryhard crowd used it to poptart and as such PGI nerfed it. Why they nerfed turn rates and mobility things I do not know, as poptart crap mostly wasnt about running in circles in a brawl....

Anyway, It also got no quirks because of the stigma from poptart yet. The JJ nerf, Pffft, it really cant jump brawl anymore, and it has a hella time poptarting unless you simply jump, fire, drop, and then move. And I mean move. You can;t rejump in even the same feild of view as where you were or some clan mech will peg you because you have to expose the entire torso to fire. that is true of any poptart, but the victor really feels like a big target, and is, for some reason i can not put my finger on, half as durable as bigger mechs. it IS AN 80 tons mech, but I think I survive in my T-bolts easier then this thing.

It really feels like you will get the short end of the exchange in a fight with somthing as small as a Stormcrow. You can pack a punch, but the side torsos are made of paper and the CT is a dmg magnet. The saving grace is it feels like SRM and LRM dmg really spreads well. Nothing else does though. I do not know if it is wierd hitbox stuff or hidden quirks the dev's gave them, but Victors are the squishiest assault mechs in the game IMO. I attribute some of it to impossible to use arms(as in, they do not shield anything) and the weapons being low enough you are just as well off at full speed in the open as you are trying to use cover, probably more so as at least in the open some of the dmg might hit the legs.

that said, I detested the stock (C) loadout, and I swapped it. I find the Victor likes PPFLD loadouts best, with some SRM as close up dmg adder. i run a AC20, SRM12, twin ERLL on one, an AC10, twin PPC, SRM6 (triple 2's for Dat cooldown) on another, and had twin AC5, PPC, and some streaks on the Dragon Slayer, though that was AGES ago now. I dropped the mech with 8k XP over basics because I had niether a 2nd or 3rd to unlock elite, nor a desire to ride out all the crazy Victor nerfs and PPC changes and what not that happened all at once. So it collected dust for like... a year, till today.

Anyway, thats the small advice I can give, it is not like most assaults, it plays like a tall medium with the ability to rip off more dmg with less heat, but with less mobility as a trade. Put some PPFLD on it like AC10, PPC, pulse lasers, some SRM for some close up smash, and go run it. Keep to the background, add some big dmg to support a team mate. You can;t really tank at all, and if you expose to fire, expect some DWF to pop a Side Torso with a 50 point alpha unless you are sneaky enough. it is the assault that can't assault, with a claim to fame born of meta tryhard poptarts. Now that its proficiency at poptart has been all but neutered, it is left with an over inflated reputation leaving it high and dry in quirks and versatility.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users